Head Discharge Line

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

my other east

Head Discharge Line

Post by my other east »

Hello Faithful!!
I'm running the discharge line from the head on my FBC, to the new holding tank outboard of the starboard engine.
I know w/ residential plumbing, one does not use 90 degree elbow, but does that make a difference when the waste is getting pumped thru it?
The other option is to elongate the hole thru the bulkhead, and just have the discharge hose make a rolling sweep thru the bulkhead to the holding tank.
Thanks in advance, for all suggestions.
Eric Vincent
1974 31 FBC hull # 315-1442
Tony Meola

Re: Head Discharge Line

Post by Tony Meola »

Eric

I had a 90 coming out the bulkhead with the old brick. Only issue I had is that I had to put a flapper check valve in the line just before it exited the bulkhead. The 90 coming out the bulkhead ran uphill a bit and I found the water left in the line was running back into the tank .

That was a inch and one half line.

Right now I am trying to install a new electric jabsco and hoping it pushes up that rise. I am also attempting to insert a y valve so if I am offshore I am not limited to a 9 gallon holding tank.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ed c.

Post by ed c. »

(2) 45 deg. is much better than (1) 90Deg. bend. I used to design septic systems for houses. We always stayed away from 90- Deg. bends.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

ed c. wrote:(2) 45 deg. is much better than (1) 90Deg. bend. I used to design septic systems for houses. We always stayed away from 90- Deg. bends.
Ed

I agree with you, but do to space restrictions, 45 may not work. With the Groco, not a macerator type of system, never had a problem, but there is of course always a first time. We were using 1 1/2 inch pipe. The new toilets are one inch which can them be teken up to 11/2. If it will go through a 1 inch pipe, then if you up it to 11/2 before the bend, you probably will be fine.

Just make sure no one stuffs unmentionables down the head.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315