Fuel Tank Fitting, Fitting Location, & Coal Tar questions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Fuel Tank Fitting, Fitting Location, & Coal Tar questions

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

I'm about to place the order for my fuel tank. The aluminum fabricator has the line drawings, etc, that Capt. Patrick has on the building tips section. The fabricator has asked me for a couple of specifics for the order.

1. What specific size fuel pick up fittings are to be used.

2. What specific size fittings are to be used for the return lines (Building tips article says + 1/8" over fuel pick up fittings).

3. Location of the fuel return line fittings.

4. What size fuel fill fitting.

5. Location of the fuel fill fitting.

This is my last chance to make any modifications to the fuel tank before fabrication begins. Any advice and/or recommendations on increasing the size of the tank, baffle styles, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Last, the fabricator cannot apply the coal tar coating at his location due to county environmental regulations. Therefore, I am going to be applying the coal tar coating myself. My best option for a controlled environment will be to bring the fuel tank to my house on a trailer and apply the coal tar in my garage. The other option would be at the yard where Shambala is on the hard. Is coal tar rolled out like resin and how sensitive is it to environmental contaminants like dust etc that might be found in a boatyard?

Thanks in advance!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Fuel Tank Fitting, Fitting Location, & Coal Tar question

Post by CaptPatrick »

JohnV8r wrote:
1. What specific size fuel pick up fittings are to be used.

2. What specific size fittings are to be used for the return lines (Building tips article says + 1/8" over fuel pick up fittings).

3. Location of the fuel return line fittings.

4. What size fuel fill fitting.

5. Location of the fuel fill fitting.

This is my last chance to make any modifications to the fuel tank before fabrication begins. Any advice and/or recommendations on increasing the size of the tank, baffle styles, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Last, the fabricator cannot apply the coal tar coating at his location due to county environmental regulations. Therefore, I am going to be applying the coal tar coating myself. My best option for a controlled environment will be to bring the fuel tank to my house on a trailer and apply the coal tar in my garage. The other option would be at the yard where Shambala is on the hard. Is coal tar rolled out like resin and how sensitive is it to environmental contaminants like dust etc that might be found in a boatyard?
1. Pickup 1/2"
2. Return 3/8"
3. Forward end of tank
4. To match engine
5. Aft end of tank, 1 1/2"

Roll on two coats, allowing a partial cure between the two. Full cure after the second. Aluminum tanks needs to be passivated and allowed to thoroughly dried before coating.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
JohnV8r

Re: Fuel Tank Fitting, Fitting Location, & Coal Tar question

Post by JohnV8r »

Thanks Patrick!

Two more quick questions:

1. Do I need to have some type of tabbing built into the tank for lifting if I am following the building tips method of visqueen and 2 part polyurethane foam?

2. What are my options to properly passivate the aluminum prior to applying the coal tar?
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built