Happy Passover!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Happy Passover!

Post by Navatech »

Today is Passover Eve... Happy Passover to all the brothers who're also members of the tribe and all other assorted lovers of matzha ball soup!...

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Happy Passover!

Post by mike ohlstein »

Ahhh... The true test of a NY Diner.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

Mazel Tov!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Happy Passover.

Time to take time for the family.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

How do you spell "le chiem" ...... At least how do you spell it correctly ?
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

L'Chaim in Hebrew is a toast meaning "to life"...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Hebrew doesn't transliterate exactly to English... Therefore you'll find several English spellings... All of which would be "correct"...

LeChaim, L'Haim, LeHaim etc... "Le" literally means "to" and Chaim literally means "life"...

L'Chaim is certainly fitting for Passover... The ceremonial meal (commemorating the Exodus) includes the required drinking of 4 cups of wine... Kids get non fermented grape juice...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

This coming Sunday is our orthodox Easter. It is the biggest holiday in orthodox christianity, more important than Christmas.

During the turning of the lamb (for which I hope to be able to attach some photos) that lasts from 3 to 5 hours depending on the size, the weather,and the intensity of the coal fire, we're sitting around eating bits and drinking.
By the time the lamb is done, we've all gone past the required 4 glasses per person you propose, we're more likely into the 4 gallons of wine per head level !!!
You'll tell from the pics, the eyes won't focus; neither of the pic subjects, nor of the camera holder...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav,

This coming Sunday is our orthodox Easter. It is the biggest holiday in orthodox christianity, more important than Christmas.

During the turning of the lamb (for which I hope to be able to attach some photos) that lasts from 3 to 5 hours depending on the size, the weather,and the intensity of the coal fire, we're sitting around eating bits and drinking.
By the time the lamb is done, we've all gone past the required 4 glasses per person you propose, we're more likely into the 4 gallons of wine per head level !!!
You'll tell from the pics, the eyes won't focus; neither of the pic subjects, nor of the camera holder...
Sounds like a blast... And yes, I'm somewhat aware of the different Greek Orthodox holidays... We have quite a few of them back home ;-)

One thing though, it's not me who "proposes" 4 cups... That's the tradition... Having said that, while there is a minimum there's no maximum ;-)

We have another holiday, Purim which is somewhat like Halloween in that the kids get to dress up in which it's a tradition (for men) to "drink until they no longer know"...

Don't forget, though some of us look like Europeans, and others look like North Africans and some of us look like Ethiopians, we're all originally from the same Mediterranean ;-)

In fact, we have holiday (Hanukkah) celebrating us kicking Hellenic ass and being able to rededicate the Temple ;-)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Navatech wrote:Having said that, while there is a minimum there's no maximum ;-)
love it !!
Navatech wrote:In fact, we have holiday (Hanukkah) celebrating us kicking Hellenic ass and being able to rededicate the Temple ;-)
I'm not at all into religion, in fact, I don't care about any of them. It would be interesting to know what you mean by "rededicating the temple" and in what did the Hellenes bother you in doing so !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:I'm not at all into religion, in fact, I don't care about any of them. It would be interesting to know what you mean by "rededicating the temple" and in what did the Hellenes bother you in doing so !
To me being Jewish is a cultural thing and therefore not a religious thing... It's my history and heritage... As for Hanukkah, the Hellenes had conquered the land and had made the Temple into a place of idol worship... The natives didn't like that so they sent the Hellenes packing... Since the Temple had been defiled by the idol worship it had to be rededicated... More information here...