LED light bulbs for home. Extremely pleased.

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

captbone

LED light bulbs for home. Extremely pleased.

Post by captbone »

It took me a while but I am now 100% LED light bulbs in my house. Total cost was less than $400 for 48 total light fixtures. Most are 60 watt equivalents with 8 watts of use.

The reason that I bring this up is because I bought a few 100 watts light bulbs for the future a few years ago. I chuckled when I came across them recently because I don't think that I will ever use them except for maybe heating a bilge. The LED lights are just as good and use 1/8 the total electricity. I can have every single light in my house on at once and it will use less electricity than four 100 watt light bulbs.

Anyone else a convert?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: LED light bulbs for home. Extremely pleased.

Post by CaptPatrick »

Yep, Capt, I converted much of my incandescent lights about a year ago am fairly well pleased. From a power stand point, they're great. From a quality of light stand point, not as much but I'm getting used to the somewhat harsher light.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

don`t have to be harsh only it you purchase from that "box" store. electrical supply house or on line 2700,3000,3200, or in your case for hall ways in store 4000k. look on line every heat range . look for 2700 to 2900k. Phoenix Electric
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

2700 warm light
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

2700k a little to warm that is more or less like old incandescent lamp. 2800 to 2900k the happy medium most call for by interior decorators. box store 4000k over jewery counter in department store ,makes diamonds, silver look great. new industrial look uses 3200k on open hanging track light with R-20 led lamps.excellent in office.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Ace has been holding sales on Feit LED 60 watt Eq. bulbs for as low as $2.75 each! For that price I switched all of mine!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

Got this one for working on the boat it is blinding even in the day time but just what was needed.

Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

34Hatt

Where did you pick up that work light? Do you have a model number? I've been looking for some lights for my shop and haven't been impressed with what I've found locally.

Danny
34Hatt

Post by 34Hatt »

DanielM wrote:34Hatt

Where did you pick up that work light? Do you have a model number? I've been looking for some lights for my shop and haven't been impressed with what I've found locally.

Danny
Dan
Got it from a friend to use, it is for his Garage I am hoping maybe I don't have to return it well see we always cut deals ?
I will try to get a model # off it when I take it done hopefully within a month?

Dan
Dan
1967 Hatteras
34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

No problem, If you happen on a model number when you take it down post it up. I've looked around at the big box stores and our local hardware stores and haven't seen anything that I was impressed with. But I haven't done any real research. Too busy with other stuff.

Thanks.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Costco has some 4' LED work lights. Picked up one yesterday and it really is bright. They also have bulbs that supposedly can be plugged right into existing fluorescent fixtures. I didn't buy any, but it is tempting. http://www.feit.com/led-lamps/LED_Linear_Tubes
unabashed hyena lover
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jack that is correct a retro lamp for fluorescent fixture. two /lite/48".
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

Bob,

Those numbers you are using are for degrees Kelvin. i.e. 2700-2900k, for warm,
Is there a chart for Lumens, since that seems to be what the LED packages are rated in?

Now it seems to be that a 120w old type incandescent bulb is rated at 800 lumens.

Am I missing something in the conversions?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes you are. the discussion was for color ( degrees KELVIN) for home use lumens is easy change buy the purchase of more wattage in same configuration of lamp.example; A-lamp,par lamp,etc in different wattages.there is a chart listing lumins in each configuration of lamp.a real money saver is the "corn lamps" now availuble in 150,175,250,400 watt substitude for high pressure sodium or metalarc vapor.disconnect ballast and screw into original mogul base or medium base fixture.-------------no more shop talk i`am retired!
Last edited by bob lico on Apr 16th, '16, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Kevind767,

The 70-80% of a household's electricity consumption is the heavy machines: all toasters, irons, washers, dishwashers,water heaters, etc. The 20-30% is light consumption.
With led lights you can decrease this 5fold. So, 30% becomes 6 or 20% becomes 4 ! 2700 kelvin is the equivalent of the old incandescent light color, which for me is the best. For home or boat lighting, that is. Perhaps not for office or jewelry store, as Bob confirms.
The market is relatively new, so you can still observe a sometimes significant difference in lumen per watt. An average rule would be 80-100 lumen per led watt. So, for a 60w old bulb you would now buy a 6w to 8w led. Not too shaby...
Needless to add that if I turn all lights of by boat to ON, plus the flood light, 24/24, I still would struggle to observe a voltage decrease, and all this from two solar pannels of 130w each and 4 batteries of 100 amps each.
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

[quote]/-------------no more shop talk i`am retired!]

Thank you both for the reply, and I completely understand........"no more shop talk".
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

kevin Phoenix electric does maybe one house per year the other 95% of our work now that my son is running the show is commercial.this house was on and off for four years we brought 13,200 volts at 3 phase right to the house. 18' basement height has in ground granite pool with 8' fireplace,a two lane regulation bowling alley,huge gym,steam room,sauna,400 bottle wine room,and steped theater. then walk out into 30' x 40' infinity pool with computer light show coming out of ground around pool. 400 LED lights and 90 outside led lights. all for 20 million dollars .double chandeliers not installed yet.

Last edited by bob lico on Apr 16th, '16, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Owner might find it a bit difficult to adjust to his final 2 x 1 meter residence...
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Kevin

In regard to old incandescent bulbs and the amount of light they put out. I've found numbers vary on what I've seen, both on the internet and on some product packaging as far as a cross reference on wattage vs. lumens for traditional incandescent.

I'm guessing the numbers vary because of coarse wattage is a power rating not a light measurement. The old incandescent bulbs were very repeatable so we knew about how much light output we were going to get when we bought a 100 watt bulb, so it was a petty reliable gauge. I'm sure there was some variability between manufacturers even on the old incandescent bulbs.

I ran across this chart in some product literature on traditional incandescent. I can't remember where I got it, or vouch for how accurate it is, but I've used this with reasonable success when buying LED replacement.

40 watt ~ 380-460 lumens
60 watt ~ 750-850 lumens
75 watt ~ 1100-1300 lumens
100 watt ~ 1700-1800 lumens (this one I've seen all over the map, sometimes a few hundred lumens lower)

I'm not in this business, just a consumer, so I can't vouch for the accuracy of these numbers. But I've been happy with what I bought in these ranges.

New technology is cool, and certainly more efficient. But between the lumens, color in degrees k, and the types of bulbs, I do kind of yearn for the days when all you did was go buy a 100 watt bulb.

Bob,

Pretty dang nice looking home you've wiring there.. I'm sure the craftsmanship you show in your hobbies transfer to your business. While the staircase is pretty, I'd like to see a picture of the mechanical room. ;^) But I understand about too much shop talk.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

there are three mechanical rooms all have tile floors and white subway tile on walls. electrical roon has switch gear with six 200 amp main switches feed from state of art transfer switch ,600 kw generator for entire house in summer months with 18 A/C units ,elevator,two inground granite pools and 8 acres of outside lighting,4 fountains .boiler room is separate with forty zone heat and 3 natural gas boilers. a/c room and elevator hydralic unit is massive. i been in a hundred mansions over the years all over long island most on gold coast of nassau county.this womens bathroom beats them all .18 karat gold facets with Swaraworski cystal knobs. leading to make up room and 20' x20, closet. cabinet crew on job for three years.owner is a greek shipping owner with a kate hudson look alike trophy wife.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Kevind767
Standing Member

Post by Kevind767 »

I'm slightly jealous Damn it........

Just didn't have the right Powerball numbers.
Maybe this Wednesday
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

off the record if any of my brothers are restoring a bertram under shirnk wrap or temp. wood shed and you need light with low amperage draw.also comes with plastic sleeve so never broken glass on your head ordeal.this is how to do it; take a ordinary two light wrap (4') and retrofit with LED lamps . we have two jobs going one in Roslyn, and one in Glen Head long island removing 150 fixture as part of total renovation of commerial buildings . free just buy lamps. i never go in box stores like home depot and state in my contracts nothing electrical will derive from them so i cannot tell you if they carry but here is were we purchase.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/153496/PLT-10008.html
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob,

Do you know if the LED lamps are sensitive to multiple on/off cycles as the economy "swirled" type of lamps are?
When I changed a few of them - from the old incandescent type to the newer economy type; the ones that take a little while before they are at 100% luminosity - for the staircase of our appt. building, I was told that they would not withstand the many on/offs triggered by all entering the building after dusk. Result: they each only lasted for a considerably shorter period than what they are really planned to last.