Gangway

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Gangway

Post by PeterPalmieri »

With the addition of the swim platform, the step from the transom to the dock is a bit longer, my Dad is soon to be 80.

Haven't found many portable options, any suggestions?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Re: Gangway

Post by Yannis »

exitengineering.com

Extra light, and most probably extra expensive; there was a sailboat here a few days ago with it , I lifted it and it was incredibly light. For those who choose to pay this amount for a gangway and not to the chiropractor !
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I am assuming they are thousands, one of the few I've seen out there
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Peter,
Had the same issue with a few customers over the years. For the ones who came and went from the same point, I used a gin pole with a chair and electric winch
Once up, the pole could be rotated over the boat and the chair lowered. For the one guy who wanted portable, we put the pole on the boat. You are somewhat limited with fixed docks on 6' tides more or less. It can be done fairly inexpensive. One marina barked at the installation of the pole until my client brought up the issue of disabled access. He just had to put a deposit down for returning dock to original condition when he left.

Planks were too tough to store in those cases.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Bruce is right the lift makes it easy. Way back when, my dad had a neighbor who was in a wheel chair. Everyone was on a lagoon. He used to fish with us from time to time. His son made up a lift very much like what Bruce is describing. We used to lift him in the wheel chair into the cockpit of the Bert. It was easy peasy.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

Peter,

Walk around Lewis Circle public dock off of Fire Island Avenue. The village seems to provide a really nice gangway to those slips upon request. Several boats have the same durable gangway that looks like it is provided by the Village. It is aluminum with IPE wood.

Hope that helps.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks guys but we don't need a lift my parents are very active for their age. We need something that can travel with us when we go to other docks as well. Just something to avoid that long leap.

Generally the docks around here are higher then the gunwales at lower tides and the stretch is just clearing the swim platform. In types like Capt Pat posted a link to they seem to be designed for a drop from the boat to the dock. In my case it is most level to an upslope getting off.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Problem is if its not atttached to one side or the other you have a liability issue...
For that reason the simple gangway plank has to be enhanced to secure and pivot...then you have to add railings...bringing price up and up.

In Fire Island, some brought a wide plank with 2x4's or 6's screwed fore and aft on boat end of plank to fit over transom, holding it in place. Opposite end of plank had what looked like hard plastic mounted to underside. Maybe so it would slide on dock...Top part that fit over transom was wrapped in carpet for traction and not to scratch boat. I recall them taking one step in the middle, then onto transom and down.

Bad part...dock end went a bit further past dock and you had a see-saw effect...stepping on end the board would raise the board from transom and that would be ugly... I don't recall anybody having a problem...even dog's walked 'em without a hitch.

I only looked quick as it may have been tied or secured somehow.

I am not sure just how safe it would be for someone getting up in years.
No bulkheads, floating docks, fuel dock that you can tie up to so people can board?

When I had family coming out with me..the walk to our boat was long...I used to bring boat around and meet them by entrance so they didn't have to walk as far...grandma was 84, my mom had issues with her feet and just walking in general.

Could also modify swim platform to fold up...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

You are right on Carl, we spend a lot of time going to Fire Island. With assistance they have no problem getting on and off, I guess a few years from now things may change who knows. I want them to be able to get on and off freely all day not just get on for a ride and off to go home. I want to have it there now while they have agility before they feel uncomfortable getting on and off and politely decline invitations. The see saw on the dock end is where I'm struggling since the boat is typically lower than the gunwales. Up to now the hand rail that drops into a rod holder has been sufficient with a plastic step on the cockpit floor.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The gangway is attached by two thin ss cables to the top of the tower and it is literally hanging clear of the dock by a few cm. Then when someone uses it, the weight makes for the gangway to stretch the cables downwards, to make secure contact to the dock while the person steps out and up it goes again when there is no more weight exercised. I'll take a pic for you in a while.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

If you can lay her broadside to a dock or bulkhead it is always easier. They step on to the engine box, then down onto the deck using some type of stool or steps you could build.

The gang way gets iffy for an elderly person. They always have the feeling they are going in the drink.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Pete,

To give you an idea. From the simplest to the hydraulic.

Also seen a B42 with a gunwale winch

This is the spreader of the two hanging lines into one

Bonus photo

Carl

Post by Carl »

Peter,

That 1st pic looks very much like what I was saying....Looks like its tied to sailboat...the ones I saw had a channel to fit over transom.
Simple but works...although with tides, a good incline would set up new problems for those less agile.

This might be over the top...but I bought a multi function ladder and really like it...very wide stance at the bases makes it very secure...I hate heights, but managed to get on my roof with this thing...anyway, it can be used as an uneven A-ladder...or bent to use as scaffolding with a board or insert placed on top. I think accessories may even include a handhold...or an aftermarket item. Light and folds up pretty small...my 22' folds to 6'.

Nice array of pics Yannis...especially like that last picture of the unsocial guy in the Bertram who docked Bow In...I bet you he says he does to look at the water and sunset....LOL Boat looks great!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

That's right Carl! The "unsociable" sees this; the others see each others' gangways...

There are your anchors, Carl.
Carl

Post by Carl »

LOL...I'd be facing the same way as you with that scenery!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You or anyone else is most welcome.

I have space for two more (front cabin) on the boat, or you can rent rooms for 60-100€ /double room / night on almost any island.
July and August are the best two summer months, or, if you want quiet, June and September. Only in June the water is colder, and in September the days are shorter...you can't have it all, damn it !!!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

You are killing us.

What a view.

Between those shots and the ones Huesso posts when we have snow, you might wake up one morning and see all of our smiling faces.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Ha, why not!