Tuna tower question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Tuna tower question

Post by Navatech »

I currently have a soft topped half tower. I have an opportunity to get a tuna tower (installed) for $3,500. $500 for the tower itself (coming off an identical Bertram 46) and $3,000 for the install.

Pros?!... Cons?!... What should I be looking for in terms of ass bites if I decide to go for it?!...
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Tuna tower question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Nav,

Tuna towers are taller than marlin towers. What most people call tuna towers are actually marlin towers...

The B46, mainly because of length to beam ratio and deep v hull, is probably Bertram's most rolling hull in a beam sea. A tower further compounds the roll as the height increases the center of gravity. So the number one con is the rolling attribute.

Talk to the owners, (excluding the hardest core fishermen and charter captains), around the lower east coast and you'll find most admit to not actually using their tower for much other than appearance. A tower makes the boat look cooler... So lack of use becomes con #2.

Increased maintenance is con #3.

Dealing with bridges that are lower than what a 1/2 tower with lowered riggers and antennas can get under is con #4.

I've captained the B46, both with a 1/2 tower and a marlin tower, and fished one with a full blown, nose bleed, tuna tower. If as an owner, I wouldn't go higher than a half tower...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Re: Tuna tower question

Post by Kevin »

Something exists that rolls more than a 28? I can't fathom anything higher than the existing bridge on a 28. With a tower it would be downright dangerous. I went out the other day and it was blowing 15. Got done with free diving and it was 19 knots. Being on the bridge is a task for me unless moving. I'm waiting for my first fall in a beam sea...........