Fuel bladder question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

waggles02673

Fuel bladder question

Post by waggles02673 »

So it has been a long, long time since I post here. I have a quick question for those of you with gas boats who use a fuel bladder for longer trips. I have Crusader 454's and looking to ay add a bladder to my boat. Would I be better running it straight to the fuel system and letting the engines pull off the bladder first or should I just use a hand crank pump to manually transfer gas when we get to the grounds?
Terry Frank

Re: Fuel bladder question

Post by Terry Frank »

Before converting to diesel we would put a 50 gallon bladder tank on the deck and fill the main tank when got 40 or so miles out. We did not do anything fancy, let gravity transfer the fuel. I still have that tank and would be willing to sell it.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
waggles02673

Post by waggles02673 »

Terry

Thanks for the reply. Would you put the bladder on the bow or in the cockpit and then just run a hose from the bladder to the fuel fill? I am going to get a 75-100 gallon bladder but I have a friend that is looking for a 50 gallon for his pursuit outboard. Let me know what you are asking for it and your contact info.

Thanks

Jon
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Way back when, it was done both ways. Some guys plump a line and fed one engine. Depending on your needs and the distance you run this might work. If you can burn 30 gallons or so in one engine on the way out it probably works, since when you get to your spot you want to be able to roll up the bladder and put it away.

We used to run with another boat that would lash it to the bow and then dump it into the tank by gravity once they got offshore. The thing about gravity is you need to make sure you don't get any static charges building up as it is draining.

Next option is to either install saddle tanks, which a lot of old gassers had, or put one larger tank forward up in the cabin area. Either under the cabin floor or up front in the V berth, I have seen both. Depending on what you need.

Safest venture would be Saddle tanks or one extra tank up forward. When you are not going offshore, you just leave them empty which has it's own issues.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315