Heads

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mack

Heads

Post by Mack »

Gents-
At the request of my wife (and now supported by my daughters) I installed a vacu flush system in my 73 sport fish soon after purchase approx 12 years ago. It worked flawlessly for about 11 years. There is now a slight vacuum leak that none of the authorized dealers seem to be able to fix. Annoying because it cycles every so often when not used. A neighbor of mine who is the marine industry suggested that I ditch the vacu flush altogether and go with a Jabsco quiet flush macerating system. My holding tank is small (guessing 10-15 gal) and I am told that a macerating might fill it up to 30 percent faster and than the vacflush.

Wondering what other setups people have used and if I should ditch the vacu flush altogether for a newer unit. Not sure I want to throw $$$ at an 11 yr old vacu flush that may only last a few years anyway.

Thoughts?
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Heads

Post by Bruce »

If your talking the sealand system with the plastic tank, the duck bill ck valves in the pump and the diaphram at the vac switch on the end of the tank were the two most common leak points.
The bowl seal can be tested by placing water in the bowl and if it goes away, the bowl seal is bad.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

your neighbor is a very smart and well informed in the marine toilet department. Jabsco porcelain toilet,just like home for the women concern.electric,self contained macerator,now you pump liquid to holding tank (very smart) flawless operation with fresh water .one way water valve comes with unit and the ladies fill toilet prior to using like home toilet ,children with countless potty calls use quick flush------------------------no other opinion necessary !!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i should add something i have learned over the years of owning a 31 FBC. my daughter has at least 30 girl friends together with my daughter in law and one thing is common to all.the normal boat head odor mostly due to salt water flush in a small enclose cabin will cause a nausea and greatly increase the sea sick feeling.i also loan out my boat for the school trip to fire island sea shore wilderness area so the boat makes two trips with 12 children aboard all wearing PFD. for the trip across the bay (quite a sight for a 31 Bertram) needless to say the head gets quite a work out! never a odor problem .the porcelain toilet does not retain odor or discolor and easy to clean outside.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mack here are two of the bosses "no push pedal,plastic toilets,disgusting salt water toilets,non working vacuum flush ,and no holding tanks in the cabin! the bride and number one daughter joined in --------did i have a say -----------no

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Mack

Post by Mack »

Love it. My girls are 10 and 12. Never fails that one of them needs to use the head even before we leave the dock. My vacu flush has been great up until now. Fresh water plumbed, holding tank in v berth and only ever smells from the exterior vent when the tank is almost full. Bowl is porcelain. We replaced all of the duck bills and the bowl seal last year and it still seems to have a slow vacuum leak. One dealer suggest to maybe replace the bowl as it has a finite life.

I am seriously considering the jabsco quiet flush, which is a macerating unit. After doing some research, I am hearing that they use about 30% more water than the vacu flush. While that might not be a strain on my freshwater capacity, it might be an issue for the holding tank on heavy use days, which there tend to be a few every season when we have guests. My sister from NY and her drunken friends seem to have a unique talent for trying to consume a record amount of beer and wine every time they step on a boat - perhaps I can train them to use the bucket!
Mack
1973 B31 "MAKO"
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

mack i don`t know about that bucket the young girls turn into ladies quick rapidly and learn from the mother quickly.my grand children both 13 years old drink the juicers all day and use toilet frequently .the captain taught them to use the Jabco quick flush and that uses a pint of water so 17 gallon holding tank is more then adequate for day trip the older girls show above drink beers but use quick flush and of course the captain had to install full length mirror on back side of sliding door as well as make up mirror adjacent to sink. the things we do as parents!!!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473