Rudder question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ed c.

Rudder question

Post by ed c. »

we unhooked the rudders and I had supports under them and they came down about 2 inches . We are putting on new bearings and rebuilt the table. Question, when I push the rudders back up I will check the packing, is there something I am missing? My neighbor has an albemarl that has a lipped seal for the shaft on the rudder.
Carl

Re: Rudder question

Post by Carl »

Flax packing on rudder ports is tried and true old, dead simple old technology.
Squeeze a piece of lubricated rope in a packing glad to stop water intrusion...as its a rudder with a limited slow acting, motion, you can even tighten packing so you do not get a drip...how much better can you ask for?
Can you add lip seals and other new tech to replace the old tried and true...yup!

In short, make sure rudder is not worn in lower part of housing to allowing it to rattle around...should have limited play, a piece of papers worth. Make sure packing is in good shape...if not replace...should cost a dollar or two for three rings of material...not a budget breaker. Snug up till no drip...recheck as material can compress and wear in initially. Top bearing...adds support.

Don't think you are missing anything...its simple tried and true old tech that just works as it should.
ed c.

Re: Rudder question

Post by ed c. »

Thanks for the reply, I did think I was missing something. Good news for a change