How many Sport Fisher models

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John Vyn

How many Sport Fisher models

Post by John Vyn »

Dose anyone have an idea of the number of Sport Fisher models were built?
1972 Bertram 31 Hull 1018 "Knot Again!" - new to me July 2014
Tony Meola

Re: How many Sport Fisher models

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I never remember Bertram saying how many of any one model. Towards the end of production they were saying over 2,000 31's were built and plying the waters around the world.

Maybe Capt. Pat will know.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

John, I've always preferred the Sport Fisherman model due to the cabin being open to the cockpit. I tallied the current Yachtworld listings for the 31, and of 62 listings I found the following: 47 FBCs (76%); 10 SFs (16%); 5 Bahia Mars (5%); and 2 Express Cruisers (3%). So, if the count on the History page showing a total of 1860 31s built over the 20 year run (which includes the 25 Silver Anniversary models built in 1985), then 16% of the total would equate to around 300 of the Sport Fisherman models built. And yes, I do have too much time on my hands............
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

One thing that can get confusing -- some people "converted" a SF to a FBC. My 73 was built as a sportfish and when it went through an extensive refit at the merrit yard, the owner at that point decided to add a solid enclosure, windows and doors to the aft. It was going from a Southern to a Northern boat so I suppose they wanted to be less subject to the colder temperaures.

Tom
Dug

Post by Dug »

Tommy, you realize I am laughing out loud at my desk right now. Thanks buddy. Much appreciated!

Dug
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Glad to bring a little levity to your day, Dug!

Tom, good point on the matter of retro-fitting the 31s to suit an owners personal tastes. I have found that there are three primary features that differentiate the SF model: lower helm station, lack of aft bulkhead, lack of standup head. I have been told that a 31 with a lower station and a bulkhead is still considered a SF model due to the lower station. I have seen a 31 with the bulkhead, a standup head and a lower station, which I consider to be a FBC with a lower station. One of the more unique models I've seen is a 31 with lower station, a standup head, but no bulkhead on the opposite side of the boat and no companionway door (in other words, half of a bulkhead).
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

My boat started as a FBC---I removed the door and stand-up head ------still have a bulkhead with the largest windows I could make.

The front windows were glassed in --so I needed to open it up as much as possible.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I'm sorry to interrupt, but if each one of us gave a brief description of their boat and a few other info, then all fellows would know more about each other, and perhaps, more fellows would feel related, and perhaps more could become ACTIVE members.

Then, for example, we would immediately know who owns what, and how many own a particular Bertram model.
We would know how they inhabit the planet, how many and where, we would be more prone to meeting ones in, perhaps, the same county, state etc.
We would know who has a gas or a diesel, a Cummins or a Yanmar, an fbc or an sf or a moppy, a 31 or 37 or other, own a trailer, has done a particular modification etc. This whole thing is so easy to do since everyone will jump in to give the relevant info, that it will quickly form a databank that everyone will share. If and when each one wants.
The questionnaire that might be the source of all above info requires a bit of organization but I'm sure we can all handle it.

We could also promote among us the idea that we all post a picture, so that the others know what we look like, and specify a common type of signature comprising of our name or nick-name, boat type, and area. It is always easier to communicate with people who you can associate with, either because you have the same boat or just because you are next door neighbors but didn't know it.

These are some thoughts. The more experienced members can see if there is any value to them.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Hi my name is Bill. I have a problem. For 30 years I've had Bertram's. A28,,,a31,,, sf converted to a fbc,,, now a 38, converted to a fishing condo in Islamorada. What do I tell my Priest?
Bill
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Confession is good for the soul, Bill; it is a sickness!

By the way, there were 64 boats in my survey, so my percentages are off a bit.
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

HELLO BILL.........welcome to the club ;)) I have a B28 just for booze cruises and a B31 SF sitting on a trailer waiting for her diesel conversion.......a problem with Bertram's is a good problem to have....

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bill,

I hadn't thought of multiple boat owners. This, however, is not a problem, to the contrary.
Just take a look how much more we already know about you and Tommy and RAW, about your boats! In just 3 lines!
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Thanks all for the posts here. I love the idea of a database. Maybe it could be an open database where we each go in and add / up data our data. I've entered my boat in this years opening day and wanted to brag about the rarity of the Sport Fisher. BTW: my boat has no rear bulkhead, lower steering AND an enclosed head. Last owner did a bunch of interior remodel. Tommy thanks for the math, I think your guess is as good as any.

Boat safe.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I think I may own a Bertram 70. Comprised of a 25 SF, a 25 Express and a 20 Baron. 2 need restoration, 1 keeps the big shit eating grin on my face!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rocket, this is a good idea.

Let's have a category called "combined models" !!

Maybe we could also run some kind of annual competition, in what may be the most peculiar combo, or the most unique addition or transformation!! Or color, or name ...
Similarities to Cranchis and Bayliners ...prohibited !!
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was just wondering if a person was a short person, would the head in the V-berth be considered a stand up head?

...and if so...is it still a Sportfish as it has a Standup head?
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

It's a Sporthead!
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

wmachovina wrote:Hi my name is Bill. I have a problem. For 30 years I've had Bertram's. A28,,,a31,,, sf converted to a fbc,,, now a 38, converted to a fishing condo in Islamorada. What do I tell my Priest?

I think you need to tell the priest how much time you now have on your hands with no boat. Also how much extra cash you can donate to his parish.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

An old fried of ours has a 67 FBC, with a lower station and no stand up head.

The lower station was an option. In fact in 75 when we bought our FBC it was listed as an option in the sales brochure. If you got the lower station you did not get the stand up head. The 67 our friend owned, had the 440 Chryslers.

The brochure shows the Sport Fish model with no bulkhead.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

wmachovina wrote:
Hi my name is Bill. I have a problem. For 30 years I've had Bertram's. A28,,,a31,,, sf converted to a fbc,,, now a 38, converted to a fishing condo in Islamorada. What do I tell my Priest?

I think you need to tell the priest how much time you now have on your hands with no boat. Also how much extra cash you can donate to his parish.

Love the 38. Love it
Bill
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

John Vyn,
It's hard to tell, all the records for the 31's were reportedly destroyed back in the late 1980's. The sport fish model was the most popular model for the warm water fishery in Florida and the Caribbean back when they were first introduced in 1961. Over the years a lot of open backed sport fish models had the full aft bulkhead installed. If you look at the hull numbers either inside your hull(prior to November 1972) or on the transom after that date the model is usually a 4 for a sport fish, a 5 for fly bridge cruiser, and a 6 for the express, mine was hull 186 in 1961 the reportedly 85th Bertram boat built, they really didn't have a exact way of numbering until they changed the numbering system in 1963 to include the model number 313-xxx, 314-xxxx, 315-xxx and 316-xxx. Tommy Drake knows the sequence of how they did it I can't remember the exact way it goes. All in all they made 1980 31 hulls not including the 23 silver anniversary models in 1985. I have a list somewhere of all the 31's I have surveyed and those hull numbers (Over 35). All that I can say is, there will not be anymore 31's built for a while, maybe never again, so if you own one hold on to it, It's still the best little sport fish boat ever built.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bill Macovina,
You have had almost as many Bertram's as I have had knee surgeries, you are a sick person even after flying jets for all those years you still appreciate a good boat. Waiting to have #18 on my knee next month.
Pete Fallon
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

To correct my math, here are the model results of the survey of 64 B-31s listed on Yachtworld:

Flybridge Cruiser: 73%
Sport Fisherman: 16%
Bahia Mar: 8%
Express Cruiser: 3%

There were no Hardtop Cruisers or Convertible Sport Cruisers in the listings.

Pete, we wish you much success with you knee replacement (18....yikes!). Thank you for reminding me about the conversation I had with Mr. Dana of Bertram for 25+ years. Lee Dana was hired at Bertram Yacht as an engineer in 1962 and became head of engineering in 1964, and he was still the Sr. Engineer in 1987, so I believe he oversaw the construction of all the 31s. I contacted Mr. Dana years ago and had a nice conversation with him on the telephone. Below is his email response when I inquired about their hull numbering system in March of 2004:

Capt. Tommy. I must apologize for not contacting you sooner I was out of town when your e-mail arrived. and just returned when your letter arrived. I am sorry I will not be able to visit with you and your other Bertram friends during the WPB show as will be in and out during the last two weeks of the month. However I can help with some of your questions..
Regarding your 31 (BER012571172-314): BER = Bertram; 01257 = hull # (the first hull was 101 which makes your hull the 1156 hull built); the 11 is layup month (November); the 72 layup year (1972); the 314 = Sport Fisherman (312 open,313 hardtop,314 sport fisherman, 315 fly bridge crusier,316 bahia mar, 317 express). The last number after hull size (31) will always be the model designator.
Your 20 Sportsman predates the Fed. Safe Boating Act so the hull id number is much easier.
The 20 was the first boat to be built in the new facility on 21st street in Miami. It probably saved the company during those early years. We did not build many sportsman the center console was way ahead of its time like many of Bertram's projects. I am not sure how many 20's were built. My partner Jerry Solderholm is the records man and he has been ill this past year trying to kill the cancer. Jerry and I started a company two years called The Old Bertram Doctors (see attached) We were hoping to get the support of the new Bertram but so far no luck. Feel free for you and your friends to write the president and ask why they are not in support of our program I do not need the income but Jerry could use a few extra dollars.

I am going to send you some old 31 stuff for your library.

Best Regards Lee Dana
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sorry for an error: Lee Dana was hired at Bertram Yacht in 1961 when they first began construction of the Bertram 31; not in 1962. He was the brains behind the rock solid construction of the 31 and other Bertrams for 25 years.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tommy,
I had the pleasure of meeting Lee Dana and Dave Napier on separate occasions. At the 50th anniversary party held at the in the water boat show on Collins Ave, I talked to Dave for over an hour as well as answering questions from the general public about the old Buddy Boy which was docked at the Bertram display, thanks to Don Jones putting me over to that boat. Lee is in his late 80's now, he lived near me in Stuart, Fl., he was still as sharp as ever and still loves to talk about 31 Bertram's.
Over the past 68 years I have meet, Dick Bertram, Ray Hunt Sr., Capt. Bob Lewis the inventor of the fishing kite, Stu Apt fly fisherman extraordinary, John Rybovich boat builder, John Brownlee the fishing and boating writer, I have fished along side Frank and Eddy Murray, Stash, Frank Branch, Tim Davis and Greg Bognan all of whom talk about the old days when sport fishing was dominated by the Bertram's and Hatteras and custom boats like the Rybovich's Daytona's, L&H's and the Whiticar's. Hopefully the new owners of Bertram will look to the past when designing their new line of vessels no matter what size they decide to build.
Pete Fallon
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Postby Pete Fallon » Apr 22nd, '15, 15:33

Bill Macovina,
You have had almost as many Bertram's as I have had knee surgeries, you are a sick person even after flying jets for all those years you still appreciate a good boat. Waiting to have #18 on my knee next month.
Pete Fallon
Pete, perhaps sick but at least I didn't buy a 35 whaler with 4 350s on it, anyways my thoughts are with you and good luck on the new knee,,, Nunee? All the best buddy.
Bill
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

I too am guilty of the Bertram bug (like all of us) ... I've had:
25 Bahia
28 FBC
31 FBC
31 Bahia (current)
... mixed in with that were a few "H" boats and always a whaler of some size or another.
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
John Vyn

Post by John Vyn »

Wow. Love the discussion. Thanks to all for the information.
scot

Post by scot »

I was just wondering if a person was a short person, would the head in the V-berth be considered a stand up head?
Nice. If your tall none of them qualify as standup heads.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Don't know how many but I have one. Built in 1965. Repowered at least three times. Limited Edition still resides at the Port where she was first sold, Morehead City, NC.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry