Expertice needed with 3208 Cat in Cali and Texas

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Expertice needed with 3208 Cat in Cali and Texas

Post by tunawish »

Major changes in my life this past year has me looking at different things to get my mind back in sync ...One of them is the possibility of getting on the road and traveling more with a classic old school RV..

Looking at BlueBird Wanderlodges from early 80's... 1982 in Simi Valley California and a 1984 in San Antonio Texas... both have Turbo 3208 Cats..

Is there anyone in these two areas that have experience in checking out the Cats for a fee.. ? I'm planning a trip to see both Dec 11- 15th..

Unfortunately the 20 Bahia Mar is up for sale, but i haven't listed it anywhere yet till now...There are pictures here under a post of "never again"
I have more info ... but my main focus now is this Coach...

Anyone that can help in those areas would be appreciated...

Thanks
Ray
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Expertice needed with 3208 Cat in Cali and Texas

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nice....

I've been watching this page for a few years. http://www.prevost-stuff.com/used_coaches.htm

Something in a 90's vintage seems to be priced about right. I've gone to see a few, but so many are decorated like bad 70's discos or houses if ill repute...... Occasionally I see one with nice wooden cabinetry and a proper head that isn't in the middle of the living space.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mike,

I hear ya.. the 90's coaches seem to have a lot of Mauve and Pale green with an overload of bright brass and mirrors... Can't stand it...

That's why I'm looking for Pre 85 Blue Birds with walnut cabinets and aluminum and stainless trim.. I Like the older stuff and the quality of factory components, the fit and finish and hardware is exceptional.....

Ray
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
mike ohlstein
Site Admin

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

The first one interior is still a bit much
for me with the mirrored ceiling and glass
bar cabinets
The second one Is very nice ..wood floors
No mirrors ... Couldn't afford it but what's with
the counteredge lighting ?? I'd like to know where these people
got their design degree Studio 4 ??
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Ray- I hope all is well and whatever is going on works out for the best. I hope that you enjoy cruising in the land yacht, that would be an experience.
Keep us posted with pics from your travels.

John
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Do what is in your heart and mind and live life to the fullest! My wife's medical bills exceeded $100,000 this year .seriously buy it and forget price just make payments.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

seriously buy it and forget price just make payments.
Ask those who lost their homes in this last round of a housing bust how that ideology worked out.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

jspiezio wrote:I hope that you enjoy cruising in the land yacht, that would be an experience.
I second that motion... FWIW, back in 1984, after having been (honorably) discharged from the Israeli navy a friend of mine and I made our way to the US... We bought a 1979 Dodge van (a "stolen recovery") for cheap, rebuild it into a mini camper and spent the next 11 months cruising all over the US... From NYC through a northern route to Salt Lake City... From there down to Las Vegas and onward to LA... Then to SF, lake Tahoe and back to LA... From there via a southern route to FL... We visited every National Park along the way... Mardi Gras in New Orleans (check)... Spring break in Ft. Lauderdale (double check)...

Just detailing the major points would take me numerous posts... An experience of a lifetime!... Just remembering it gets me all warm and fuzzy :-))
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Bruce wrote:Ask those who lost their homes in this last round of a housing bust how that ideology worked out.
There's buying and there's buying... When you spread yourself too thin even a minor setback can push you over a cliff... Also, many people who lost their homes did so because they took out lines of credit (with their home's equity as collateral) to purchase stuff they really didn't need (e.g. new boats, new cars, gambling trips to Vegas etc)... Then, when the brown stuff hit the oscillating thingy they had nothing to fall back on...

Speaking personally, I would never risk the equity I have in my home for pure consumerism... I have taken out loans against the equity in my home but that was once when we upgraded to a bigger nicer home and I needed some of the down payment for the new home... That balloon mortgage was returned as soon as I sold the old home!... And once I added to the mortgage to build the guest unit... I wanted to build the guest unit without it influencing the regular home budget... As the guest unit added double its cost to the value of the house it was a prudent move...
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

The money's not a big issue here.. The ones listed above are what Mike was looking at ...

I'm looking at spending under 35K for a much older but well maintained classic buss.....

This is the type and style I'm looking at...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Blue-Bird- ... 7675.l2557

Is there anyone in Cali Or San Antonio that can recommend a diesel guy that could meet me at the inspection ??

Thanks
Ray
Last edited by tunawish on Nov 29th, '14, 16:51, edited 1 time in total.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Want to make sure no one read my first post wrong... If you read it quick it could look like I'm asking someone to check the engine for FREE....it say's a FEE..!!

I'm fully prepared to pay someone to check out the Cat 3208..

Any help would be appreciated ...

Thanks
Ray
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Ray,
What an idea you have there to travel with a Wonderlodge. Change of pace for sure and adventurous you are! It's a shot in the dark, but though Tony Athens is in the marine industry, he might know someone in the area ( he's our diesel go to guy in CA) especially in Southern Cal. He knows his sht for sure and I'm sure if you gave him a call he wouldn't bite your head off not being a marine app., he's a cool guy to talk to and proud of what he does. Good Luck with your newfound adventure on land!
(805) 382-6287
http://www.sbmar.com/
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Hi Rocky,
Thanks for the referral, I'll give him a call tomorrow.. I'm heading out there the 11th and 12th ....

As far as the Wanderlodge ..Yes it's definitely a new interest. I love to drive so thinking it would give me the opportunity to travel and not have to worry about my dog .... Crazy as that sounds ....It won't be a full time thing as I'm still working for quite a while..... If anything it's given me something to look forward to and keep my mind occupied learning and tinkering with the coach.....We'll see...

Thanks Again..

Ray