Hudson Canyon on the Happy Time

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SimpleGesture

Hudson Canyon on the Happy Time

Post by SimpleGesture »

Fished the Hudson Canyon on Sunday into Monday on dads 31 Bertram "HappyTime". Had a pretty good trip 2 yellows 50-70lbs, a 179 bigeye, and released a 400lb blue marlin. Dropped what we believe to be another eyeball that just about spooled a 50 tiara( pulled the hook). Had a few bites in the middle of the night. The marlin was awesome jumped a whole bunch, nice release next to the boat.

Also thanks to the blue topaz from conn. For lending us the bolt cutters. We hooked a225 Irish mick. This is why you don't go barefooted! We cut the hook and then he reeled in the blue marlin. Tough son of a b*tch.

John
Russ Pagels

Re: Hudson Canyon on the Happy Time

Post by Russ Pagels »

nice fish, how is the top working out. not sure i'm into the foot piercing, got to hurt... russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
SimpleGesture

Post by SimpleGesture »

Tops been great. A nice upgrade. i got a video of the marlin jumping I'm trying to add.
CHolgerson

Post by CHolgerson »

I saw you guys out there. I was on a 46' Ocean named No Excuses. We had 5 bigeyes and a yellowfin. Our biggest bigeye dressed at 217lbs and the smallest was 120lbs. You had a ton of guys on that little boat. We always see you at hemlock cove as well. My father in law owns a 1967 42' ChrisCraft Aft Cabin named Me and My Girls. Congrats on a great trip.

Chris Holgerson
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Sounds like a great trip, I will leave the flip flops at home next trip..that looks painful..what did the eyeball eat? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice work.

I frown on flip flops when fishing.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
SimpleGesture

Post by SimpleGesture »

Thanks guys. Hey Chris, nice trip for u too. We usually take 5 guys on the trip. But had an extra for this one.
Caught the big eye on a Joe Shute/Bally Hoo.
Dug

Post by Dug »

I am wrestling with the shoe thing. I have never fished with less than Crocs (ugly shoes, but effective on a boat...) and the captain/owner of the 45' Viking instituted a new rule during the tri-state tournament, that no shoes on the boat. That with a cockpit full of hooks. Overnight we bailed and put on boots, but I think I may gently push back a bit on this new rule. I know we want to keep the boat nice, and he has more of a problem with one guy who likes to gaff the boat, but I think thats better than the feet...

Great trip by the sounds of it! We may have to head west to Hudson soon instead of the traditional trip to the east!

Tight lines!!!

Dug
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

We are looking to make a run tomorrow---out of Jones---any last minute reports would help make a decision where to run Dip, Coimbra, Hudson, or AP??

Any suggestions or intel would be appreciated.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Joe Shute from Morehead City? I know him.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry