Lightning, Sand, Bahamas Crossing Experience

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

SteveM

Lightning, Sand, Bahamas Crossing Experience

Post by SteveM »

Everyone likes pictures they say. So I've attached a few to go with this story.
We recently had a near lighting hit which took out a few switches and thankfully nothing else. The electronics lit up and showed our position at the dock.
The boat was fully loaded with over 1000 pounds of extra stuff going back to the Bahamas, hurricane/security shutters, my old PA system for the band my kids and I have put together and other items.
Upon leaving Lake Worth Inlet I engage the Route on the AutoPilot, instead of heading 90 degrees East the boat tracks North, big time. I immediately think it's the lighnting hit affecting the system but not fully sure how to fix it. Do we keep going or turn around? My son and I decide to keep going, using the compass and charts, old school while watching the "Pink Line" on the Chartplotter. We figured out that the boat icon could follow the pink line manually steering as long as I was on the correct compass coordinates...albeit the boat icon was about 70 degrees tilted to the right. In hind sight and I should have known there was a Variance adjustment in the system. However, I did not feel as though I had to the time to diagnose and fiddle around with it in the Gulf Stream, move forward or go back then fiddle. I was on track and kept going. Today I had some time to mess with the system and there is a Magnetic Variance in both the Chartplotter and the Autopilot systems that allows you to have the electronics read the same as your manual compass. In hind sight my Chartplotter was off about 70 degrees as you can see from the pic. It was interesting running 200 miles with this odd set up. Part way we also had issues with the shaft log cooling tube popping out of the shaft log. There was no water coming out of the tube and into the shaft log, the collar got so hot that the plastic threads softened enough to release the metal nipple and hose. There was sand in the fitting where the hose terminated at the engine causing the blockage. Got this fixed and kept moving on. It was a long day but one my son and I won't forget, working through the issues together.
If you happen to be in Abaco, Bahamas, next Saturday, please stop by and join us for my 50th. My kids and I will play (using the PA delivered by our Bertram).
(PS: thanks to Bruce for being there when we needed him!) This board rocks!
Last edited by SteveM on Jul 13th, '14, 20:22, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Harry Babb

Re: Lightning, Sand, Bahamas Crossing Experience

Post by Harry Babb »

Sounds like an experience that will dominate conversations at family gatherings for many years.......

Happy Birthday Steve.........I hope your birthday is so much fun that it takes a team of nuns working around the clock to pray for your redemption! ! !

hb
hb
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Steve, I hate that you and your son have to deal with that muddy water! Congrats on a succesful, though drama-filled, crossing.......and happy birthday!
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

Have a great birthday Steve!
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
spencer

Post by spencer »

Steve glad everything turned out well

Had an interesting crossing on july 2 , 90 miles into the crossing near great sail cay (my bertram 25 and another boat) got into a pretty nasty lightning storm , there was a close hit and the port motor died, and we were not able to get it going so limped the next 90 miles to marsh arrove at 5am . Had to leave it there they were still trying to figure if it was a fried computer or fuel issue lots of fun.

Boat is at harbor view marina, but its probably pulled out now
Figured I leave the boat till labor day and bring it home then
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Feliz Cumpleaños !!!!
1965/2007 Bertram 31
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Spencer, let me know if I can be of any assistance while I'm out here. I know a few mechanics in the area, not sure what engines you have.
Mangrove to Great Sale we call "no mans land". Many years ago with my dad we got into a nasty lighting storm at Mangrove while anchored overnight. That's our personal "devils triangle" area.
Steve
Steve Marinak
spencer

Post by spencer »

Steve,thanks and happy birthday!

the engines are mercury 225 two stroke carburated , but use a computer for timming
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Spencer I have a great OB mechanic here in Hope Town. If you want his contact info email me or PM me.
Steve Marinak