Starboard strut

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bbtiller

Starboard strut

Post by bbtiller »

I need one. Squared up on a log in the waterway at about 25 knots. Shaft is 1-3/8" (need to verify). Had just gotten the kinks worked out of these motors.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Pete Fallon

Re: Starboard strut

Post by Pete Fallon »

bbtiller,
Call Buck Algonquin in Michigan they made the struts for Bertram originally. I had to replace the port strut on my 1961 31 Express, a 1-1/4" low profile strut, I sent them what was left of my old one and they cast me 2 new ones in about a week. I know they had the 1-3/8" ones in stock. It's worth a phone call, I also saw a couple of them laying around the old salvage yard in Riviera Beach but they are out of business, try the place in Ft. Pierce (Nautical Connection I think it's their name). Also try Sailor's Choice in Ft Lauderdale. There is a place here in Stuart that opened up a year ago It's a local marine junk shop like the old place in Riviera Beach, I'll go by there tomorrow and see what he has. Another place is Bobby Soles Prop Shop in Mangonia Park, West Palm, Capt. Pat used to have his rudders made there, they might have one or they can make you one out of stainless steel.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Pete,

Thanks, Reed here at Hazzard Marine has one coming from Buck Algonquin, they'll have it to me this week.
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:Also try Sailor's Choice in Ft Lauderdale.
Shouldn't that be Sailorman: http://www.sailorman.com ?!...
Pete Fallon wrote:Nautical Connection I think it's their name
AFAIK it's Marine Connection Liquidators: http://www.themarineconnection.net ...
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

My suggestion is when u get the new strut, u slip it up to the old bolt hole location,install the bolts but don't tighten them, hold the strut in place with a bottle jack, play around with it till u get free movement, u should then be able to move a .003 feeler gauge on the top,bottom, each sipped fore and aft. Once u get to that point u may need to build up a spacer with thicken epoxy after properly prepping the strut area,should this be needed