Port Eads rebuilt?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Port Eads rebuilt?

Post by Rickysa »

Noticed a couple of guys from NC fished out of Venice this past week (trailered their boats there), and I asked about Port Eads...
Port Eades is rebuilt as best I can tell. We went out South Pass Saturday and Capt Hoop commented it was a 12million dollar rebuilding effort. It looked like a ghost town- new buildings with nobody there whatsoever.
always wanted to fish out of there someday....
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Port Eads rebuilt?

Post by CaptPatrick »

Hey, Ricky,

Glad to see you around, been a while...

I think they're still trying to pick someone to manage the place. Big long term contracts, lot of liability clauses, big bucks, etc. ect. So far nobody seems to want to pick up the the sack and swing it over their shoulder.... Maybe somebody here from over in Coonass Land knows something more or can make inquiries.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Thanks Pat, it's been nice finding my way back into things.

I'd imagine it'd be a pretty fun time to figure out a way to bring a boat out of Venice and fish out of South Pass for a bit...(not to mention raising a couple of clears in honor). Nice road trip....make for a good little vacation.

It's so danged expensive to go offshore anymore, and since the kids never got the itch and Dad's knees won't let him go, I figured we'd try something new. I moved the boat a bit south to a nice little town where we can day-trip some places, do some Spanish fishing just off the beach, that kind of thing before the kids go off for school and what-not.

It just got me thinking a bit....
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Hey Ricky I went Spanish fishing just last week. Caught a 156lb cuban off palm beach.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

They are usually in schools. To catch one is odd.....
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Check out this YouTube video. They had an informative article in The Times Picayune last year and I think that's where the video came from, but I wasn't able to locate it.

Port Eads is all rebuilt to government standards with a lot of FEMA money thrown that way. But like Capt Pat said... They're shopping for an operator, but possible lease issues ( property reverting back to the state in 5 years or so) and the remote location, nobody's stepped up to the plate.

Due to those and other factors( faster small boats and big boats that just stay out for the trip) I see Port Eads as an albatross that will sit unused for quite a few years.... Just don't see a viable solution being offered.

Ray

1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hi Ricky, glad to see your post. I'll be in Morehead City this weekend; any chance you'll be around? Steaks on me!
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Hey Tommy, thanks for the invite!

I'm heading down today for a quick turn-around trip to pickup my truck that I had to leave due to relocating the boat to Southport, but I'll be around a bunch more this year.

...and Bruce, Mt. Dew thru the nose on the Cuban :)
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Bruce wrote:Hey Ricky I went Spanish fishing just last week. Caught a 156lb cuban off palm beach.
Who is he pitching for Yankees or Dodgers?

Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

Talked to a well known offshore Venice guy recently. He said contracts were signed and official opening is Memorial Day this year. Read today in either In The Bite or billfish foundation mag the same. Venice fella said he won't run his sportfish down South Pass anymore due to shoaling and no one maintains the pass any longer. I must think the NOBGFC and Plaquesmine Parish will somehow get past that.
Viva la Presidente!
RAWicklund

Post by RAWicklund »

Port Eads is open for business....

http://m.wdsu.com/news/Port-Eads-Marina ... y/26148288

They had a better news clip on the opening and the management company this morning on the news....just no link to it yet

Ray
1971 Sportfish 314 49 1103
1994 B28 BERF2720L394
jpkfish

Post by jpkfish »

Hello All - my name is Jacque Kuchta, and I am president of the Port Eads Fishing Refuge, a nonprofit corporation established by the Plaquemines Parish Government and directed by resolution of the PP Council to manage the Port Eads facility. We are a 501(c)3 organization with a mission to maximize the potential of Port Eads, and in doing well, we hope to do some good by directing the fruits of this endeavor to educating Plaquemines youth via internships and other creative venues, making the facility beyond a world class fishing destination a scientific and research outpost for coastal restoration, pollution monitoring, pelagic species research, weather, LDWF Pass a Loutre Wildlife Management cooperation and research, and more.

After much controversy, the PEFR was able to press forward and hire High Adventure Company to manage the facility, equip and furnish it, open it on schedule for Memorial Day last weekend, and in short order see it really open to very strong positive reviews.
There are 60 slips, 48 bunks, 8 bunk rooms between 2 lodges, and more.

Please call Katherine Hughes, onsite manager for slips, lodging, and meals at 504-308-1602, ext "0", katherine@highadventurecompany.com

See http://www.porteads.com

See parent company http://www.highadventurecompany.com. Owner John Burrell and his crew are committed to making this a world class attraction. For Louisiana folks, John's guys run Honey Brake Lodge in Jonesville, La., and Katherine put that place on the map as part of her resume.

I am certain Uncle Vic is smiling down upon Port Eads and very proud of what is going on. Any UVI participants will appreciate the new facility. It is my intention to pay special tribute to Vic Roy in some way by naming a room after him and decorating it with his photos and memorabilia. I recall many a conversation with Vic on Another Joy on Channel 68 on a rip somewhere below South Pass for many a year.

We'll get Grand Opening pictures posted and more info ASAP. Port Eads is open to the public and welcomes anglers and guests to come down and enjoy.

More to come shortly.

Call Katherine for reservations and please call me for any information on the nonprofit side of this at 504-813-8309.
See you at the Pass......

Jacque (m/v Una Mas)
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jacque,

Thanks for the update and info. Question: I hear that no one is maintaining South Pass and conditions are less than safe for anything larger than a skiff. Any word on whether or not the pass will receive the necessary maintenance to make larger boat fishing viable?
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
jpkfish

Post by jpkfish »

Patrick - there are some pretty large skiffs navigating South Pass and a great deal of attention is focused on navigation issues. We were instrumental in replacing all of the aids to navigation in South Pass last year, from the head of the passes to well beyond the rocks into the Gulf, they have never been better/clearer.
Additionally, we are in touch with our 2 state senators' staff working with the Corp/USCG to get emergency funding to raise the level of the rock jetties at South Pass some 4 feet, help safety and channel scarfing.
Mother nature has done a great job of keeping the channel navigable, though you need to follow it and not just sit in the middle. I personally sounded all of South Pass a month ago in a center console and zig zagged the river for 3 hours taking depth notes, and there is worst case 8' of water somewhere, well over 10-12' in many areas. I have run it since Katrina with my old 32 Cabo and now with a 46' Viking with no issues at all, and I run it often.The Corp has instructed dredges not to deposit on top of South Pass, and we see the positive effects of that now with over 35' of water in place at the north end. There are sections that require favoring first the east bank, then central, then west, but all doable by the likes of 70, and 74' sport fishermen as recently as 48 hours ago.
A few weeks ago we had a 122' Trinity sport fish at the front dock, so rumors of no water are greatly exaggerated.
We'll get South Pass dredged here shortly - if effort in indicates probable success, we'll get it done soonest possible.

Jacque
/Users/jacque_kuchta/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Masters/2014/06/02/20140602-071936/Image 2.jpg
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Jacque,

Images won't transfer from your hard drive. See How to post Images and Links
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bbtiller

Post by bbtiller »

Jaque, (or anyone else who might know)

Before Katrina I and a buddy leased a houseboat from Buzzy at Port Eades four 4 or 5 duck hunting trips between 1998 and 2004. Do you or know if there are any camps or houseboats available to rent there since the new construction?
BRUISER
BERG1552M76F-315
Bradley Tiller
jpkfish

Post by jpkfish »

you can contact Katherine at 504-308-1602, ext 0 and discuss……hunting season plans not yet firm, but the lodges can accommodate 48 people at any given time.She have some answers for you.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Sounds like we need to rent the whole joint for the third week of June, 2015. Get some of those Yankees down here. Round up some boats. Compete yet again for 2nd place.
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I am not a Yankee, never been offshore fishing, never been to a Bertram rendezvous, but I would make that trip for sure if y'all would have me...
Marshall Mahoney

Post by Marshall Mahoney »

I ran South Pass a couple of weeks ago for an overnight trip at one of the floaters. I stayed just east of the centerline of the river and saw nothing less than 7 feet. Picked up some diesel at PE ($5.50/gal) and was impressed with the facility. More importantly, we hammered the blackfin, limits of snapper, hand fed and caught an 80# yellowfin, and my son sight casted and caught his first dolphin!
kipp

Post by kipp »

Spent two weekends fishing tournaments out of Port Eads, and looking forward to the NO Invitational this weekend. Great facility,and very accommodating folks running it. Had breakfast with John Burrell who owns High Adventure, the outfitter managing PE. He was fascinated with Targeted Species and is looking for a B31 to buy. Talked with him and Katherine Hughes whose in charge,and they "would be honored" to have PE be the host facility for a UVI memorial type tournament.
Please let me know whose interested? Maybe have it in September, after tournament season?
Kipp
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Kipp: You might point him towards Pete Fallon's boat.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Capt. Mac Creech

Post by Capt. Mac Creech »

Kipp, Jaded lady is for sale. Lot closer. Mac