Painting Interior Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

le3

Painting Interior Question

Post by le3 »

I was considering painting the interior with white or off white awlgrip paint. Does this look good, anyone have some pictures?

Would you do the paint job yourself or hire someone?

I have not applied awlgrip before, any tricks (roll, spray, brush?)
scot

Post by scot »

I have used a paint that is made by Petit specifically for interior cabins, etc. The main assest the paint touts is anti-mildew...and it works great. Areas in the V-berth with other coatings continues to mildew, but the Petit painted areas look new, no mildew in 5 years.

It applies similar to latex. It's a flat mat white finish.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
ed c.

Painting with Awlgrip

Post by ed c. »

Painting with Awlgrip you must watch someone do it before you do it on your own. Temp. & preparation is critical. Good Luck
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Well first off is the spray equipment.
A good hvlp spray gun is about 350.00. You'll need a compressor with a good regulator and air drier filter.
Full suit with a really good full face respirator when using those paints.

If you have spray experience then okay.
If not learning on Imron or awlgrip can be expensive.

Otherwise its picking the right thinner and activator.

And you always have the typical spray problems like fish eye, orange peel, cratering etc.

On a semi or satin type of finish a dulling agent is added to the paint. If there are any mistakes and you have to blend, getting the right mix of dulling agent to match the completed finish is almost impossible and a complete respray is needed.

Some people can roll/tip or brush and get a great finish. Most I've seen looks like it was done by inexperienced labor.

Sanding and fairing, then application of primer then finish coats is alot of labor.

Even very experienced sprayers will have trouble around all the uneven surfaces in an interior and most will have to redo some parts because of runs or uneven coverage. One other thing is fairing around two surfaces that meet but are not actualy glassed or hard fastened together.

You fair then paint and it looks great. First wave you go over the two pieces flex and there's a nice big crack in your paint. You have to recognize those problem areas and do them right.

One of my jobs during school was working for a church converting school buses into church buses. The first thing that was done was a complete paint job inside and out with a white base, then color was added depending on what route name the bus was put on in the form of stripes or patterns.

I take to things very quickly. After 47 buses over a two year period I just got good enough to be able to complete a job with no mistakes.

A good job is alot of work and why painters get good money and why inexpensive jobs well, look inexpensive.
le3

Post by le3 »

So it sounds like I should have someone do the painting for me. So is awlgrip a good option for a 31 bertrams interior.

The previous owner actually attempted to paint the interior white (terrible job), so I really wanted to cover up the crappy job. I am having new teak holly floor put in and having the headliner redone.

I though with the new floor, headliner, cushions and awlgriping the interior would make it look good.

Has anyone painted their interior with awlgrip and have some pictures?
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Le,

"Buddy Boy" was professionally sprayed with Emron... It was an expensive job because of the prep, masking, and complex nature of shooting in a very small and complicated area. Over spray is going to be a problem & the V-bert and main cabin need to be shot seperately.

You do need to add a flatening agent to whatever paint, (or use semi-gloss). High gloss in an interior is real garish.

Br,

Patrick

http://bertram31.com/bailey/page11.htm

Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I can tell you first hand, that painting the inside of a 31 is not a easy task.

You cant see a thing when you do it, its like trying to paint in a fog.
Besides the obvious prep and equipment, you REALLY need a way to try to exaust the fumes safely.

Picture driving in thick fog where you cant see past the hood, you put your bright lights on and its worse- thats what its like painting inside a 31 boat.

The masking is incredible too, you need to allow air into the v birth and out the cabin entryway and still be able to walk and work in there.

You have to shoot it blind so you need to have faith in your spraying skills.

The high gloss interior of Craig Macs boat looks great by the way.
Matter of preference really
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Carl from Elite Marine brought a B31 to the FLL show a few years ago he had done for some docs in SW FL that was painted glossy white inside, every sq. inch. That's the way they wanted it for ease of maintaince since they were blood & guts fishermen. As Patrick says it can be garish. Reminded me of a morgue. It was for sale for a while on yachtworld, guess they sold it.

Sun came out here for the first time in 16 days, see you yankees are getting what you usually get.....

UV
thereheis

paint

Post by thereheis »

i am having someone paint the inside of mine,it's there job.i tried it once and it's hard .you need to put a fan in the v-berth hatch to suck out the fumes and spray mist,but i am having mine painted white inside and white outside,,,, will be finished tuesday or wednesday,,,,

phil
le3

Post by le3 »

Any idea how much it would cost me to hire someone to awlgrip my interior?
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

[quote="CaptPatrick"]Le,

"It was an expensive job because of the prep, masking, and complex nature of shooting in a very small and complicated area."

To be done right and look great you need a pro and thats going to mean alot of $$$ to do it. A couple of Gs easy.
John F.

Post by John F. »

I rolled and tipped mine using primer, Toplac Ivory, a small foam roller, and a good brush, and it came out looking really nice...not Buddy Boy nice of course, but really nice, at very low cost. Just another idea. I also trimmed all the edges--pretty much everywhere an interior part (seat base, etc.) meets another part at a 90 degree angle--with teak. Looks nice also.

John F.
randall

Post by randall »

or you could shoot it the way the guy who did mike's boat did......i'm drivin by one day so i stop by to check the progress....this fellow is standing there with a spray gun in his hand...inside a tarp tent, no mask at all and wet paint drippin from his nose................when i politely suggested he go get a mask he told me he couldn't cause he already mixed the paint..........to quote mike "hope he lives long enough to finnish the job"
Raybo Marine NY

I should also point out that Craig mac's interior is all fiberglass, no more formica or any other original panels.

if you were just going to spray over the gelcoated areas of the interior thats not AS bad, but you still have to cover everything and still be able to walk in there and work.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Randall,
Most of the really good painters I've met over the years have more than a few dead brain cells.

I remember painting most of those bus interiors with nothing but a paper doctors mask.

I couldn't spell carcinogen back then.
thereheis

painting inside

Post by thereheis »

the people that are painting my boat ( inside and out) normally paint air planes and jets.the paint that they are using is called JET-GLO.they have preped and primed the whole boat.what a task.then masked off to paint the inside,(all the doors and removabnle parts are out of the boat all 56 pieces) sprayed 2 coats let it dry then sand with either 600 or 800 gritt.then spray 2 more very thinned out finnal coats.they said that the main thing is to keep it wet so no overspary appers,,,,all white....looks like a mirror on the inside,,,cain't wait till they finish it,,,,should be done this week....

phil
randall

Post by randall »

well i kind of shudder when i recollect my teenage surfboard and boat building adventures in fiberglass
thereheis

painting inside

Post by thereheis »

they also said that the paint job will last atleast for 15 + years,,, there site is www.corriganaircenter.com check it out ...tell-em i sent you ,,,,,

phil
Capt. Mike Holmes

Paint

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

We had a guy paint a pretty picture on the old Parrothead 31 that Brian B bought. It was a parrot holding a speargun on one foot and a bottle of Jamaican rum in the other. He was quite an artist, had painted custom vans back when they were a big deal. Never wore a mask back then. He told us his lungs got some bad they put him in the hospital and filled them with water, one at a time, to clean them out. Said he never wanted to do that again!
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Raybo Marine NY

let me see if this works:
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Jet Glo is a two part polyester urethane in both a conventional and high solid paint.
It is highly resistant to chemical, UV and salt corrosion.

Superior to awlgrip and Imron.
Great for aluminum with the proper prep and etching primer.

A customer had his Beech King Air repainted with it. Very deep high gloss looking paint. Only problem they didn't etch around the windows properly and a year later it was bubbling.

Should look really awesome.
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

Bruce, something "resistant" to UV???
thereheis

painting

Post by thereheis »

i would post a pic of it but i cannot get it to work ...sorry it is shinny shinny white,,,
phil
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

To post a pic, you have to upload it to pic hosting site or to your own web site.
You can't link off your own hard drive.

Once in place make sure you have the correct url or address,
IE: http://www.freepichost/myboatpic.jpg.com (just an example)

Then go to the reply tab in the thread and click on.

Type a message then hit the IMG button.

After the [img] bracket posts, paste in your picture url/address. Then click on the close tags to get [/img].

Hit preview to check before posting.

Try and crop the image to a managable size so no scroll bars are present.
It makes viewing that much more pleasant.

You can also see the links and images sticky under general discussion for pic hosting sites.
thereheis

painting

Post by thereheis »

hope this works...

phil
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

damm thats shiny. looks good(for a RLDT...LOL)
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

WOW that looks really great.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

Amazing!!!
scot

Post by scot »

Highly motivating to a guy starting a project, beautiful work.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Raybo Marine NY

im still trying to figure out how they painted that in one shot and managed to keep it so shiny, meaning no overspray falling on the rest of it or footprints from walking on the boat as they were painting.

unless they did paint it in stages and then it was unmasked and photographed?

a 31 is a impossible boat to paint in one shot, maybe doing planes they have some fancy man-lifts or something?

either way thats a crazy looking picture, in that huge shop the boat with no hardware on it looks like a toy boat.
thereheis

painting

Post by thereheis »

they did not paint it in stages or sections.,they painted the outside of the boat at one time 2 guys spraying paint.thye had some tall ladders,,,,,,,because there was no stoping point or seams to stop at. they are just that good. if ihad been a plane they would have stopedat a seam and had the other part masked off.the inside is as shinny also,,,as well as all the other parts,gonna be nice when i get all the chrome pieces and bow rail on ....to set it off more,,,,more pictures will follow,,,,,

phil
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

real nice phil i can`t belive the entire boat in one shot!!!! what kind of paint is it?
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I'm afraid to ask what that paint job cost! Beautiful! Walter
thereheis

painting

Post by thereheis »

it's called JET GLO made by sherwin williams,,the price isn't that bad,with all they have done on it ....won't need another paint job for at least 15 - 20 years is what the owner said..i love that ,and it's workable if needed,,,

phil
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I have also used the JetGlo on my 20' Baron project and am equally happy with the results. We rolled the boat over and shot the hull and topsides. Deck and cockpit will be done next, all in one shot. This stuff is very shiny and shows any lack of perfection in the prep very garishly.