Mis-spent winter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Mis-spent winter

Post by MarkS »

Here is the end result of what has kept me from committing sewer-side over this winter. I will likely piss off the neighbors at some point for climbing there hills or running through their mud holes but mostly it will be a "Poser" which of course is the term given by the off road crowd for someone who never gets it dirty. 1967 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser, 72 Chevy 350 V8 turbo 350 automatic w?2500 stall converter/shift kit 2.5"lift with 33" Super Swampers.

Considering what we started with.

72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Re: Mis-spent winter

Post by mike ohlstein »

Nicely done.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Thanks Mike. It also has power steering & brakes tilt column and 4 wheel disc brakes. The wife bought a new set of driving gloves! I may never see the dam thing again......

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Don't put the wipers on. She'll come back when it rains......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Mark, I'll take her off your hands when you get tired of her. I had a '71 FJ40 and it remains my favorite vehicle of all time. Great job my friend!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Whats the name of that color, Wisconsin cheddar?

BTW how did that HF media blaster work? I gotta pick a new one up and I've heard mixed reviews.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Great idea Mike. We didn't finish the hard top or doors yet. I have a Bimini for it for the summer so it won't see much rain anyway.

Thanks Tommy. I bought it in 86 and drove the crap out of it for years, then the steering box started to go and even if I hadn't had a drink, it looked like I did. Sat for a bunch of years until I needed something to occupy my nights and weekends during the winter.

Bruce that would be Omaha Orange. I can see I'm going to have to send you some real cheese. If it's that orange in Florida, it's also likely you have to unwrap individual servings and that would be something squeezed out of a duck as opposed to a cow. The media blaster gets a low grade. Parts wear out fast, thing plugs constantly and we finally changed the valve out to a ball which improved it some. I suppose it's a high abrasive life so I may be a bit harsh but......

Tom

Post by Tom »

Looks great Mark. Gives me a modest amount of motivation. I've got a red 1971 in my garage. Its "on the list" to redo. Has been on the list for 8 years. It has the original F1 motor and tranny, three on the tree. Something broke in the shift system over the winter. Had to drive 3 miles home backwards. Pissed off a bunch of neighbor type people. Then again, I'm constantly pissing them off. Going to go short block and floor shift, if and when I get to her.
Viva la Presidente!
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

MarkS...

Can I come to your house and play with your toys?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

now that is really cool, nice job
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Dug

Post by Dug »

Mark, that truck is fuggin gorgeous!!!! You and your bride will enjoy for sure!!!!!

Beautiful!!!!!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Thanks guys! Its just another hole for money to fall into but it has been fun. Took it down the road for the first time today with no windshield. Eyes were watering but the mug had a smile on it. Glass company tomorrow for breakfast and then its game on.

Tom, that is one of 4 that I have owned mostly the others as parts units. I have parts up the ying yang if you need anything call or e-mail. If you want to research some stuff there is a website based here in WI. www.IH8MUD.com that is dedicated to Toyota, mostly FJ stuff that has helped me. I have a small block to toyota bell housing which I have no use for. Its your for a donation to Pat. I also have a freshly upholstered red bench and drivers seat that is looking for a home.

Frank, I have a sneaking suspicion that you have a toy or two but you are always welcome my friend.

Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Our cheese squeezes out of a foil pouch and is that orange. :-)

As a guy who's done many cars over the years and currently converting a 66 mustang coupe into a fast back, that is one awesome job.

Pic of the engine compartment though. See how much you bling'd out the engine.
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Bruce we had a helluva time getting that orange to cover. We finally had to add a whitener to the primer as the dark base primer would show through like wax paper. Its still not perfect but its tits from the road! :)

I do remember an aerosol "Cheese-Whiz" that approached that orange from the fine folks from Kraft/Monsanto/Haliburton. MMMMMMMM good!

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

very nice mark
1968 hull # 316 - 757
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Not much, pretty stock just some anodized valve covers and cleaner. 72 350 4 bolt out of a 3/4 ton pickup. Left it all stock inside. Guessing it was a 175 hp LM1 block. I did add the HEI and the new aluminum radiator to keep it all cool. Doesn't take much to push that short wheel base light truck anywhere you want it to go and it pisses off the Jeeps when you pass them on the highway with ease. You'll forgive the dusty engine from the body shop, busy driving it at this point. :)

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Bruce wrote: BTW how did that HF media blaster work? I gotta pick a new one up and I've heard mixed reviews.
Bruce: I have one of those too. It works OK if you change the lower valve and outlet to a larger size, replace the hose and nozzle assembly with a real one with deadman's valve and replace the air regulator. I also had to replace the front leg and tires. I think the pot is all that is original on mine! Of course I have had it for 10 years too.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Very cool Mark!

Looks great.

Ian.
scot

Post by scot »

VERY Nice Mark. Those are rare in our part of the country and highly prized. Rust has taken many of them down here, yours is beautiful. That one doesn't need to get in the mud or jump rocks, leave that to the guys who don't own such a neat "TOY"
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0