bottom redo question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe E

bottom redo question

Post by Joe E »

Over the last week my boat partner and I sanded the two layers of bottom paint off the boat. The pervious owner had the the blister repair done before he brought the boat to California 9 years ago. According to the pervious owner he had the bottom stripped of gel coat and all the repairs were done with epoxy. After we stripped the bottom paint to uncover the repair work this looks to be correct. The large blisters were ground out and filled then glassed over and the smaller blisters filled with thickened epoxy. Next it looks like it was (kind of)faired with a pink fairing compound. I am assuming is AWL FAIR LW then coated with white Interprotect and lastly bottom paint. At this time the hull is bare of all hardwear and through hulls. A few issues have arisen. First, when the original repair work was done none of the hard wear was removed. There is still the original gel coat under the struts and rudder ports. This creates a 1/8 inch pad on the boat. Should I grind smooth and fair to the boat? Second, the repair work appears to be done with power tools/sanders. The bottom is wavy, VERY wavy. It was very hard to tell with the black bottom paint. This created a problem because now we have raw glass, faring compound and interprotect poke dotted throughout the bottom. Should I spend the time to remove the faring compound and whats left of the interprotect and fair the entire bottom with thickened epoxy? The bottom is smooth just very wavy. I will be filling and faring the old through hulls, putting in new fiberglass shaft logs and repairing rudder ports where needed. Thanks for the help and advice, Joe
4 1/2 years to build, Slashed Sept 16, 2016. 212 hours already and counting.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: bottom redo question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Joe,

Since you're replacing the bronze shaft logs with fiberglass, go ahead and grind down the strut and rudder gelcoat and fair bottom with Awlfair. No need to further grind anything else... Awlfair is a 2 part epoxy and will bond to all just fine. Then re-barrier coat.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Thanks Capt. Pat, Do I need to apply a coat of epoxy or EPiglass HT9000 or hull guard extra epoxy primer before I fair with awl grip LW? Joe
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Joe,

No need to prime, just prep by cleaning well and wipe with denatured alcohol. Overall surface should be 80 grit or courser...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

Thanks capt.