Bilge pumps

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

Bilge pumps

Post by Russ Pagels »

I replaced the aft bilge pump this summer. AS we are having a wet spell nt the moment, I thought I would see how it was doing. It wasn't. so got the sump pump out ,and pumped the water out. the pump(sump) is a rule. As I remember there was a discussion of a different brand of pump that was better ,more expensive but was also trouble free. any one remember. thanks Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Pete Fallon

Re: Bilge pumps

Post by Pete Fallon »

Russ,
I used Rule pumps for years then they went to crap like everything else the corporate bean counters get there hands on. I switched to Johnson Brand pumps, 2200 GPH with 3/4" or 1" discharge hose. I also like the Ultma float switches much better than the Rule lever float switch that burns out in under 50 hours, Ultma switches do not get stopped up by debris that always manages to get on top or under the float switch on the Rules.
I have 3 Johnson 2200 gph pumps with 3 Sea Stop Blue enclosed float switches, I am waiting for those float switches to stop working so I can install the Ultma enclosed switches.
I also have a 3700 Rule that I use for my live well raw water intake supply, it can be used as a 4th pump if needed by just removing the hose from the sea cock.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks Pete, still raining, still pumping. I'll check to see who sells Johnson pumps. sorry to hear to about you knee. check out wake med in NC. they do good work ,wife just had some work done to her knee. Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I no longer use Rule pumps, they aint what they used to be

the new style rules do use a digital technology in place of a mechanical float style, but they rarely seem to last a year before I get a phone call from someone. Sure they warranty the pump but not my labor which I have to absorb

I also use the Johnson Ultima pumps, once you get to a 1250gph pump its 1 1/8" discharge.
They also sell a line of heavy duty high capacity pumps which uses the same ultima digital field system switch which locks into a molded area on the pump body.
They go up to 24volts and 4000GPH you need to step up to a 1.5" or 2" discharge.

Its a shame because you take a 20 year old rule pump out of a boat because the customer wants peace of mind and the new pump doesnt last or the float switch goes to crap.
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

On my B25I recently replaced a set of older Rule float type switches with Rule 37A Marine Super Switch.
So what kind of life should I expect ?

Hoping they last a while as it took me a couple of hours to get them installed under the engines where I could just barely reach them with one hand. The old ones went out when I had a gas tank leak last year, which was probably good as they apparently pumped very little of the 90 gallons of gas in the tank into the bay. The pumps are older rule pumps so I hope they will continue to work for a while. At least they were not affected by the gas.