Generator question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Generator question

Post by Navatech »

OK, my boat (46'6" SF) has a 20Kw single phase generator in it. However, it looks a mess... The local (Fajardo, PR) mechanic says he needs to purchase 4K worth of parts just to get the diesel side running... Add another 2K for the generator and an additional 2-3K for his work and the total is going to be 8-9K... And it will still be a very used generator...

So, now I'm looking to find (locally) either a used generator or new one. My question is as follows: I think that the "original" (it's a 2007 so definitely not original) generator is way over what that boat requires. And, I think it was put in the boat used...

The boat has 3 AC units, one freezer and one ice maker (in the cockpit), a domestic type side by side fridge and the other usual stuff (TV's, microwave etc). No washer or dryer. And, of course, the battery charger (which possibly also serves as an inverter).

Any ideas how much power the new generator should be? 11Kw? 13Kw? 15Kw?
Pete Fallon

Re: Generator question

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
I have to go to Shearwater Marine tomorrow I will ask Adolph if he's got any used gen sets around(13.5 to 20Kw). Sounds like that boat is getting more and more costly every time you go to do something.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

Navatech:

Call Leslie (generator mechanic) at 787-370-0949 or 787-860-8822 and ask him if he has an used generator for sale that will meet your requirements.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:I have to go to Shearwater Marine tomorrow I will ask Adolph if he's got any used gen sets around(13.5 to 20Kw).
Thanks. Preferably something with a sound enclosure. I'll be looking forward to any news.
Pete Fallon wrote:Sounds like that boat is getting more and more costly every time you go to do something.
Nah, It's just that I don't have the time to mess with it myself. Certainly not in PR where I also accrue lodging costs.

Having said that, how do you make a millionaire?!... You get a billionaire to buy a yacht :-)))

In any case, I got this boat so far under market value that I can afford to put some money into it.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Navatech,
I talked to Adolph today he has nothing at this time but is going to call a guy in Miami that might have something. He will let me know the first of the week. Adolph had 3 15KW both with bad front ends and not worth playing with. I'll let you know. You talk about boats and millionaires, I did a survey recently 4 million dollar Hatteras when new 6 years ago sold for less than 1.5 that is a hell of a deprecation in 6 years.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Sb marine/ boat diesel has 17k Onan w 1500 hrs. Delivered $5k 48 states
Bill
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

wmachovina wrote:Sb marine/ boat diesel has 17k Onan w 1500 hrs. Delivered $5k 48 states
With sound enclosure?!... If so, I'm interested... How much without shipping?!... I'll have some freight Co. pick it up and ship to PR... Only thing is that it will have to be put (and secured) on a pallet...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Pete Fallon wrote:I talked to Adolph today he has nothing at this time but is going to call a guy in Miami that might have something. He will let me know the first of the week. Adolph had 3 15KW both with bad front ends and not worth playing with. I'll let you know.
Thanks!...
Pete Fallon wrote:You talk about boats and millionaires, I did a survey recently 4 million dollar Hatteras when new 6 years ago sold for less than 1.5 that is a hell of a deprecation in 6 years.
I believe this isn't just the normal deprecation... I think the currently very soft market for multi million boats has a lot to do with that specific sale price... Having said that, boats do depreciate like crazy...
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Sbmarine,8002002628, ask for Brad. Ordered from them before,great service.Tony Athens at boat diesel.com. Bill
Bill
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

OK, I found an on-line manual for the Bertram 46 MY. Not exactly identical to mine but good enough :-)

The manual is here: http://www.bertram.com/manuals/460_Owners_Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's basically a scan of the original (type writer?) manual.

According to that manual these boats were standard equipped with a 12KW Onan. An optional 15KW was also offered. That answers my question about the capacity I need… 15KW should do it I think :-)