6bta question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Russ Pagels

6bta question

Post by Russ Pagels »

Hey a quick question on my Cummins 6bta 250hp engines. Cummins has a great site the
cummins quickservice online. my question is with my engines, is it the water jacket after cooled or the sea water after cooled. I think it is the jacketed but not sure. thanks for your help...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
Navatech

Re: 6bta question

Post by Navatech »

Russ Pagels wrote:is it the water jacket after cooled or the sea water after cooled
After cooling is a term usually used in reference to charged air (as in after the turbocharger and/or supercharger)... Cooling the air reduces its volume thereby allowing more air (oxygen) to be pushed into the cylinder... More air means more fuel can be injected...

FWIW, I have never heard of after cooling the water jackets... And cooling the sea water doesn't serve any purpose that I can think off of hand...
Carl

Post by Carl »

Navatech wrote: After cooling is a term usually used in reference to charged air (as in after the turbocharger and/or supercharger)... Cooling the air reduces its volume thereby allowing more air (oxygen) to be pushed into the cylinder... More air means more fuel can be injected...

FWIW, I have never heard of after cooling the water jackets... And cooling the sea water doesn't serve any purpose that I can think off of hand...

Reduces Global Warming...its in Obama's plan...
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Carl wrote:Reduces Global Warming...its in Obama's plan...
I don't know about that but I can see where one would colder exhaust water... Having said that, the way to achieve would be by increasing the RW flow... I.e. a pump with more capacity... Adding a cooler would be far more complex... KISS...
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

Your after cooler is fresh water cooled, 180 deg.good news is no salt corrosion, less than good news is 180 cooling water. Works good last long time. Bill
Bill
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Thanks Bill.

Russ, your question was as clear as a bell. After cooling done by sea water or fresh water.
Russ Pagels

Post by Russ Pagels »

thanks for all of your help...Russ
1972 31 FBC 315-141-1226

All that is necessary for evil to succeed
is that good men do nothing.
wmachovina

Post by wmachovina »

, see if I got this right. Gear oil heats the sea water, sea water cools the fresh water, fresh water cools the compressed air, Fuel mixes with compressed air ,boom, piston goes down, love good rum, don't have any, what was the second law of thermodynamics again?
Bill
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Newton's Inverse Law Of Thermodynamics

" If you don't do anything...
Nothing will happen!"
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
scot

Post by scot »

If I recall, the 250hp 6bta is the highest hp 6bs that uses a closed circuit fresh water cooled, after cooler. Which IMHO makes that engine highly desirable from a low maintenance standpoint. I had a nice afternoon boat ride in Capt DQs 31 with the 250 6bs, that combination in a 31 is very nice.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0