Awlgrip repair question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tom

Awlgrip repair question

Post by Tom »

I run this beautiful 64' Sunny Briggs on occasion. Whilst pulling from our tournament slip into the fuel slip, I had a bit of a little incident with a piling and a bolt on said piling. Anywhoo, my glass repair guy says its virtually impossible to blend the new paint into the old and it must be taped off. Thus, creating a possible "line" between the repair and unrepaired sections. Is this right? I have no knowledge nor skillset when it comes to paint.

I do have a newly acquired bit of knowledge when it comes to Carolina flared bows combined with wind and current. Live and learn.
Viva la Presidente!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Awlgrip repair question

Post by CaptPatrick »

Tom,

If the Briggs is painted in the original Awlgrip, not Awlcraft 2000 or Awlcraft SE, then your glass guy is correct. Taping it out will leave a tape line and trying to blend Awlcraft into Awlgrip will leave a dull halo between the two... A good painter can minimize the blended patch with a deft hand and clear topcoat, so that's the avenue I'd explore.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

As I understand things.. the paint we know as "Awlgrip" lays down in such a way that the pigment migrates to the bottom of the coating and a sort of clear coat rises to the top, leaving a sort of two layer effect. This is the reason repairs are very difficult.. Awlcraft 2000 (which is what my boat is painted with) lays down in a uniform coating (much like traditional paints) that is the same from top to bottom.. and is much easier to repair.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

its possible to repair, and polish- but it takes away from its gloss in the long term, so its a catch 22
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Tom:

I ran a 50' Willis (Harkers Island, not Florida) with a single Cat -- 880hp+- and twin rudders, the bowflare was substantial - I believe when the wind would start puffing I used the term, "the spinnaker is full"

Tom
Tom

Post by Tom »

CaptPatrick wrote:Tom,

If the Briggs is painted in the original Awlgrip, not Awlcraft 2000 or Awlcraft SE, then your glass guy is correct. Taping it out will leave a tape line and trying to blend Awlcraft into Awlgrip will leave a dull halo between the two... A good painter can minimize the blended patch with a deft hand and clear topcoat, so that's the avenue I'd explore.

Thanks all and Capt. Pat. That's exactly what we discussed and the paint is OEM Awlgrip. I like my glass guy and he does good work at a fair price. Just double checking things.
Viva la Presidente!
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

there are better tapes, dont have to necessarily have a "hard line", 3M smooth transition tape ,3M DART tape, etc.
Im sure he is aware of them.
Marlin

Post by Marlin »

I have repaired awl grip numerous times with awl craft 2000 , sand the repaired area with 320 ,and 6" of the adjacent area with 800 ,spray out the repaired area to get the color build up u need, thin out the left over paint with 75% thinner and fog or mist in the entire area, let set a few days ,wet sand with 1500 and finesse it, if not enough luster, rescuff with fine paper and shoot clear with the same fogging teckique , did it recently on a sea foam green finish and it became more shinny than the original, remanded with 2000 and barely buffed it, can't do anything about uv but if u don't like the results, scuff up, tape off with Fine Line and roll and tip
Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks for the tip Marlin. This is a small area, 2 inches by 5 inches on the port stern. Most people wouldn't notice a sub 100% repair here, except the owner. And its his checkbook.
Viva la Presidente!