Never Again...!!!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

tunawish

Never Again...!!!

Post by tunawish »

4 alternating color barrier coats, 1 red tie coat, 3 coats dark
blue micron extra, 1 barely usable right arm, thumb and fore
finger numb for a week now and a bottle of Oxycodone.....
But done.... I don't know how you guys do this on a 31...

If I ever suggest doing another bottom job, will someone
please hit me with a shovel and bury me right there...

Never Again...

Ray.

[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ray, I feel your pain...I used to take a handful of advil before grinding on my 31s bottom...by the end of the day I couldnt hold up my arms...worth it...results say it all...nice job...done right..no doubt..oh by the way your dog wants you to toss the ball in the last pic...if you can pic up the ball....BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob...
The ball won't fit in her mouth and no I couldn't pick it up...
I was doing 2 Alieve each morning that helped during the day but still can't get a decent night sleep after a week ..
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

But it looks soooo good!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

And YOU know that is was done right; even if no one else does. Bertram stewards seem to share that gene.......[/i]
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

looks really nice though!
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

And the paint job on the jack stands is outstanding too. I feels yo' pain....did my old B25 a few times before swearing it off forever. Same year I sold my lawnmower.

UV
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Ray - Looking good.

I can't wait to see my hull with some paint on her and a sterndrive on the transom.

What power do you have in there? I can' remember. Are the chines underwater at rest or am I seeing the stripe position incorrectly?

Ian.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Ian,
I have the 3.0LX package w/gen 2 alpha 1.. It was put in the by the p/o in 1999 .. He also painted the hull and established the water line .. The chines sit about 1" clean out of the water.. way to high .. I was thinking of adding some weight to her with another battery and some lead in the bow...
I'll change all of that when I do the top sides in about 3 or 4 years.. She's been out of the water now for 2 so I can't wait till next season when I can just clean her and throw her in.. Hopefully no need for full bottom paint till 3rd season...

Ray
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Intesesting. I am concerned about the chine being underwater (especially if I get that V8!), not to mention the 100 gallons of fuel capacity.

I would like to get engine installed and test float to verify waterline.

Cheers!

Ian.
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Ray, even though it may have taken its toll on ya, she sure is pretty....its easy to tell that you put a lot of effort into the bottom job by the way it turned out.

Soon the pain will subside and the gratification of having successfully accomplished the task will take over.

I am still in the pissing and moaning stage right now.....but as soon as I can put them ole throttle handles in the corner and hear the turbos spool up and see white wake behind me and burn lots and lots of diesel.....whoaaa.....Harry.....slow down....your getting yourself to excited.....

You did a good job.....personal comfort don't seem to be a part of the equation.....

Now go boat riding

hb
hb
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Ray,
The boat looks great, I feel your pain. That's what my knee feels like everyday. I used to do the bottom of my boat every year (30+ years), you look like a smurf for a couple of days bafter sanding. Like everyone says you know it's done correctly. I now have the yard do the painting but I oversee the operation. The last time I did any major work to the bottom I had Dana Sponagle from Dion's put barrier coat and bottom paint on.
I won't let anyone near the boat with a grinder, only a DA with 100 grit paper.
Granted my boat hasn't see the water for 6 years with all the knee operations, the bottom still looks like new, I 'll paint with Sea Hawk Ablative
when I get ready to launch, that might be this winter. I'm almost done with the projects that I have been doing, new (old Marlin's engine boxes) engine boxes, side panels on express wings, cockpit sole support timbers, new 1-1/2" thru hulls with external screen pick-ups, fuel lines and new bulkheads under the cabin door and behind the fuel tank. Just about finshed with the projects. It's a never ending battle, but when you do it your self it's done the way you want it to be.
Your boat sure looks pretty.
Pete
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

is the gas tank in the stock location? my son has the moppie and i will try to repower this winter. i need to experiment with tank location.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Bob - Are you asking about my fuel tank location or Ray's?

Mine was moved forward. On the Bahia Mar, there is a forward bulkhead at the point where the cuddy begins.

I moved my tank all the way up to that bulkhead and added significant capacity. The aft most part of the tank is not much further aft than the original. I don't have measurements with me right now.

Now I had the entire sole ripped up stringers out, etc.

On this page of the thread, there is a picture of the tank in position taken from inside of the cuddy,

http://simplifying.net/phpbb/viewtopic. ... &start=135

Ian.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Bob,

My tank is in the same location also, against forward bulkhead and a bit bigger at 45 gallons vs 32.. I think the weight differential between the original 6 and the new 4 helped lighten it up... in any case she does sit high..

Ray
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Oh boy do I feel your pain -- what a great job! THank God it wasn't a 31 with all that added square footage to do such a first class job on!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Ray,

If you wouldn't mind I've got a 25 footer that needs similar treatment. Perfect project for you over the winter.
When should I drop her off?
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

That is one pretty Mar! Nicely done.

-M
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Bob- On the 20's the different models have different tank positions and capacities. My 20 Bahia Mar has an easily accessible 50 gallon tank midships with a screwdown hatch over it. If I am not mistaken the Bahia Mar model had the largest capacity tank (50 gallons) as standard. No deck cutting was necessary to remove and replace with aluminum.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Those 20 Bahia Mars are drop dead gorgeous -- beautiful lines. The Bahia Mar is by far my favorite model. Spoken by a former 31 Sportfish and a current 25 Hardtop/Express owner!
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

I believe any 20 with a v-8 will sit with her chines underwater, mine certainly does and doubled the size of the fuel tank and loacated it further forward. I prefer the look of the boat at rest with the chines out, but running her with the weight aft is no problem at all.

Ray, that is perfect work you have done. Quit whining, the pain will pass and the quality will still be there! :-D
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank all of you for the information on tank location . with this hands on information i will have to install a v-berth tank made to the shape of the hull.much to my thinking for a 20' moppie i had such a deal on a 10hour left used yamaha 350hp but he wants no part of a outboard.i am not sure of the mercruiser`s weight but with ss. headers and alluminum heads and manifold should be around same weight as rocket`s small block .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Ray,

Looks nice. That's an awful lot of rubbing but its worth it when you haul out and everything is still in place.

Bob,

That 20 has to have a designed hull speed, why not try to match that with efficiency vs. trying to overpower the hull. Maybe a tricked out twin turbo V6, hell the boat weighs nothin...............
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I'm not sure what the 'hull speed' is on a B20, but a 4.3 V6 at 200 - 220 hp will push her to the very low 50's (52 mph or so). Put a V8 with 280-320 hp and you gain some but you'll barely see 60.

Some of the 20 seem to have a hook on the hull. I know my old B20 with the original 165 straight 6 would come up on. Plane with almost ZERO bow rise. Repowered with new owner (280 V8 with duoprop) she will push 60 and stay fully on plane well below 2000 rpm.

Having said all that, I think a V6 is the best engine for this boat. Only downside is engine accessibility in the engine compartment.

A D3 diesel at 170 or 200 hp would be a really efficient light weight package.

Ian.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

jp i agree with you but the 350hp yamaha was available for the taking as well as the mercruiser 525hp . design speed is what you make it in a boat like this. basic 20' fully strake ,deep vee f/g similar to sk class racing about 100mph or you might say a boat i owned a while back; 21' challerger with twin 150hp mercury or later date 300hp mercury racing division. that boat did not have the 24 degree deep vee either. that boat was chosen by suffolk county police to catch pirate boats on the great south bay (illegal shellfish)ran about 80mph and we ran it with twin 225hp mercury outboards in your back yard( barnagat bay) race in the seventies. i have time to think about it and if it was mine i would use a 150hp four stroke as a skinny water fishing boat.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice work. Your Bahia looks great.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Walter,...My tank was only 32.... I thought I read some where the 69 models had bigger tanks..

Jspezio.. Funny guy.. Sure bring her up with a bag(big bag) of $100's and she'll be ready for the spring... What color do you want..??

J.P... That's what I'm hoping for...

Rocket... The whining is part of my upbringing ..I think it's an Italian thing .. or always getting spoiled as a child..not sure which one..

Thanks to all for the compliments.... but it's only the bottom and only the beginning...

Ray