PROP PULLER

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

craig mac

PROP PULLER

Post by craig mac »

in the market for a prop puller for 1 3/8 shaft-3 blade prop---i have a knock off nut but not comfortable using it---anybody have any suggests of what to buy.
Dave Kosh R.I.P.

Post by Dave Kosh R.I.P. »

I'm using the large set offered by Harbor Feight Tools . Works well for me however I don't use them on any regular basis. Beat beats paying Sears price too by 6 times. Dave K
Keep Fishing...
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

I've been using a 4# hammer along with the knock-off nut for seven yrs now. And the wheels come off almost every yr. I've also have read replies on this board of the Faithfull making their own puller. Let's what happens.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Carl

Post by Carl »

I like the Walters "Safe-Way" Prop Pullers. Been selling and using them for years. Not as quick as the knock offs but can be used easily in the water. http://www.waltergear.com/propp.htm
scot

Post by scot »

As usual cash dictates around here and I made a prop puller that works very well. I used (2) large u-bolts that came off of a 1 ton truck axle (holds axle to spring). I cut them to create long shank "J" bolts. I used a piece of steel flat plate approximately 8" long x 1 1/2" wide and about 3/4 thick and drilled (2) holes in the plate.

I place the J bolts around the base of the flukes next to the hub and the shank through the holes in the plate. The plate comes down tight on the shaft and by continuing to tighten the J bolts with nuts the shaft comes loose.

The holes are drilled through the plate on about a 6" spread.

It's around $15 bucks worth of stuff and it will take a prop off without having to beat on everything with a hammer.

Scot
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harv

Post by Harv »

I go to the local marine supply and rent the puller for $15. I usually only need it for 1 day per year and at that price would take about 15 years before I would reach the purchase price of a new puller. Besides that, I don't have to worry about the last place I put the darn thing when I do need it.
Harv
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I have a Walter if anyone needs to borrow it in the Manasquan NJ area.
Capt. Mike Holmes

Puller

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Sort of like Harv, I just borrow the one at the yard I use. I have a good relationship with them, and they never charge me for it.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
John F.

Post by John F. »

I used to be able to borrow one from the local yard, but the owner, who I knew, sold it.....so I checked out EBay for awhile, and eventually found a nice one (about $200 new) on EBay and paid about $50. Just a thought if you're not in a rush. And, if any of the faithful near Annapolis need to borrow one, just ask.

John F.
bobfioresi

prop puller

Post by bobfioresi »

Craig . Call me and you can borrow mine after i use it. I'm at 631 668 4064. We can arrange to hook up.
craig mac

Post by craig mac »

bob, thanks for offer, i am pretty sure i can borrow one locally, but looking to purchase one.

thanks for all replies, will be on the look out on e-bay for one as i am not in any rush at the moment.

wanted to check if there was one manufacturer better than another for this.