Damper Plate

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

makomike1

Damper Plate

Post by makomike1 »

Just my luck, going out for the last ride of the season in my b28 and all of a sudden I thought the motor was falling in pieces, I heard metal hitting metal and it was ugly. Shut down motor and limbed in with 1 motor. When back at the dock looked at motor and found the inspection cap from the bell housing under the tranny and what was a spring at one time is now flattened lying against my starter cable. Got a price from the marina to replace the damper plate, labor only $1,500. That is doing the job with motor in boat and not pulling the motor.Does that price seem high? Is this a job that I would want to tackle myself? Any suggestions?
Thanks Mike
Capt. Mike Holmes

Damper Plate

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Depending on what engine/gear you have, not that big a deal. Unbolt the tranny, pull it back, and remove the old damper plate, replace with a new one. Depending on the engine and gear and how they are mounted in back, may have to block the engine before unbolting and pulling back the tranny, and the gear will need to be supported, also. When I was running gassers with Borg Warner gears, I got VERY good at pulling trannies. Not all that hard. I'd do it for $1,500.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Carl

Post by Carl »

At least it was your last trip of the season. Several years ago I had that happen when trying to back into my slip after being put in the water. Thought the engine went into the crapper, not a good start to a season.

Anyway, freind/mechanic came over after I calmed down and said it sounded like the pressure plate, had me block motor and yank tranny off in boat. He had a pressure plate and I put back together the next day.

Not a 1500.00 job, more like the cost of a plate, some elbow grease and a little thought as to how to manuver everything around in a confined space.
makomike1

Damper plate

Post by makomike1 »

Hey guys thanks for your input , I think I may get a heater and do the job myself over the winter. Thanks Mike