First performance #s from Carl

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jspiezio

First performance #s from Carl

Post by jspiezio »

Carl has been sea trialing Dad's boat over the last week. What I have heard is an easy cruise of 28 knots and top end of 36 with full tanks of fuel and water and 3 people on board. I don't have fuel consumption yet, but I will try to get some posted.

Excited to get her going. Plan on getting down there soon to see for myself.
Harv

Post by Harv »

When done, will the boat be coming to Long Island or staying where it is?
I ask only because I like some of the ideas you put into the boat.
Harv
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Will stay in FLA over the winter. Nect year coming up here, Harv.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Xcellent to hear! Glad she has finally been splashed.

Numbers sound real good. At last we get to hear about the real world difference of those rudders being outboard with a lower shaft angle.

Your dad must be happy.

Carl
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Just got a call from my dad as he was running his 31 across Tampa Bay. He has Carl and two electronics technicians on board as they finish the electronics set ups. The water and fuel tanks are full, 325 gallons of diesel.

Carl was running the boat when Dad called. Carl had made some adjustments on the props and it sounds like they paid off. They were doing between 28-29 knots per the GPSs at 2800 RPM. The engines sounded great and they reported that she was solid is a rock running across the bay.

He is very happy with the boat. They are bringing her to Miami for the show, so that will be kind of cool.
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

It's getting late over here in the UK and I've probably had too many Buds
but 325 gallons of diesel has gotta weigh nearly 1.5 tons.

No wonder she's runnin' rock solid.

Where do you put that much diesel?

Ian.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

pacific marlin wrote:It's getting late over here in the UK and I've probably had too many Buds
but 325 gallons of diesel has gotta weigh nearly 1.5 tons.

No wonder she's runnin' rock solid.

Where do you put that much diesel?

Ian.
The Blackfin has 375 gallons. i'll ask Carl for photos of the tanks, or I'll take some when down there.

If you're drinking Buds while living in the UK then you have a more serious issue to address. THere are way too many better beers than available than that.
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

Jspiezio

Never had a bad bottle yet, and I've drunk a few over the last 30 odd years but they've gotta be stone cold,...... warm they taste like sh*t
Drank a few down in the Keys over the years and they don't taste the same as over here in the UK.....don't let anyone tell you English beer is good... take it from me, it's not.
I'm fading now.
Regards.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

John,

Sounds like Dad is having fun. Good for him, please tell him I said hi.

When she gets up here next year, give me a call. I'll make that trip with or without my son at school...

Ray
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tunawish wrote:John,

Sounds like Dad is having fun. Good for him, please tell him I said hi.

When she gets up here next year, give me a call. I'll make that trip with or without my son at school...

Ray
I wouldn't mind running her up your way in the summer.

How's he feeling by the way?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

John,
Bring her up It's a nice ride, Took my buddys 30' boat from LBI NJ last year it was a blast..My harbor always has a guest mooring or 2 that can handle you no problem. I live 2 streets over and looks like I'll be the Asst Harbormaster next year. Guarantee she'll be safe... Plenty of great harbors to cruise to and Tuna 26 miles out ...maybe..

Dean's doing a tad better, I hate the thought of making that trip again this weekend but it looks like 4 am sunday morning I'll be bringing him back..

I got caught in the Jets traffic last sunday. I'm not doing that again. I don't know how you guys deal with that traffic.

Ray
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Ray he is having a blast with this boat. I misspoke earlier, they were running 28-29 knots with the Yanmars at 2600 rpm, with 350 gallons of fuel. The boat really moves. He isn't on it today because there are a few details thaat they are buttoning up, but he'll be on it again for the weekend to try and get some fishing in.

The traffic is killer, but when you live here you know when to go where. How do you usually go back home from Hempstead?
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

John, Honestly after coming down there at least 15 times I can't even tell what roads I take once on LI. I just follow the GPS. I do know after I come off the Throggs Neck it's at least 3 other highways I'm on before i get to Hofstra..
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Carl does nice work...wish I were going to FLL for the show so I could see her and hang out at the Quarterdeck, etc.

Buds in the UK? Yep, from what I've seen when in London its about the most popular beer there....even the German tourists drink long neck Buds, stone cold. The Swiss make a Bud knock-off called Cardinal that's pretty good too. Warm beer just plain sucks.

UV
pacific marlin

Post by pacific marlin »

UV,

I hear ya.

You are correct.
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tunawish wrote:John, Honestly after coming down there at least 15 times I can't even tell what roads I take once on LI. I just follow the GPS. I do know after I come off the Throggs Neck it's at least 3 other highways I'm on before i get to Hofstra..
We need to talk, I think there are a few ways to save you some trouble, at least going back.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

John, I'll call you on my way down this weekend

Thanks
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thats a behia-mar with just a windshield ,no tower of any kind ----i think??
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

bob lico wrote:thats a behia-mar with just a windshield ,no tower of any kind ----i think??
Short tower with second station.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

john is that sort of like a modern day express ? typical 31 cabo express look?
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Yes Bob
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

John,
Those numbers sound great! Please give us more performance data when available. Where can my wife see some pics of the final product with the tower on?
Thanks.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

JohnCranston wrote:John,
Those numbers sound great! Please give us more performance data when available. Where can my wife see some pics of the final product with the tower on?
Thanks.
John I will try to get pics up for her in the next week. The boat is being held up because Carl is not happy with the upholstery. He is a little disappointed in the quality of what has been installed, so it is all being done again, so now she will be over at his place for another 3 weeks.

In exchange for pics how about some pointers for next year in Cabo.....
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

John,
Carl called me a couple of weeks ago and said that they were about ready to splash her. He was very proud and I know that you and your dad are also. Very impressive.
As far as the tips go in Cabo...First, you must be completely blind. I apparently ended up this way by masterbating too much as a kid...and adult, I guess...at least that's what my mom says. She told me that if I didn't eat the crust on my bread that I never would have hair on my chest. Probably should have listened to her. Second, if you fish against the likes of Mark S., it's like taking candy from a baby...My partner, Daniel, reeled his marlin in with his feet while eating a burrito.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

John you make me laugh so hard
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

John you are funny as hell. Your burrito comment reminded me of an OT story about how old and fat I am.

i was at my daughter's regatta a few weeks ago when I heard the UMass coach tell his boys to run a quick one mile warm up before rowing. So I watched as these boys, men really, took off in what for me would hav ebeen a sprint. But most amazing was the fact that they were all yelling back and forth to each other and eating huge burritos as they ran this fast as hell mile.

Sprinting a mile is enough to make me die. Gobbling down a burrito while yelling at someone would have untold consequences, but if I were to mix them together the result would be something akin to the "Nuclear Option" I keep hearing about on the news.

Anyway, I came away from that feeling a very old and out of shape, the only cure was to have another Dos XX.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Funny...if I have a Burrito I have to Sprint. Sprint to the bathroom.
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

A 1 dollar burrito...damn good too!
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

DanielM wrote:A 1 dollar burrito...damn good too!
Those are usually the best ones.