Engine Exhaust/Shower Head

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Harry Babb

Engine Exhaust/Shower Head

Post by Harry Babb »

It's been raining so I could not get outside and work on the boat itself....that's my story and I am sticking to it......so I took the opportunity to mount the exhaust to my engines and run them, check for oil and water leaks before cleaning them for final painting,

STBD Side

Port Side

We are expecting a cool front to come thru Monday or Tuesday. When the humidity and temprature get more tolerable I will get back to the glass and painting part of my ETERNAL BERTRAM PROJECT.

H
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Pretty work, Harry...

Looks like you conquered the hard wrap issue. Thanks again for dropping by last week, was good to finally meet.

Br,

Patrick
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Patrick wrote:Looks like you conquered the hard wrap issue
Funny thing....one of the local yacht companies with whom I do business had an open house back in June or July. I went there for a visit and ran into a friend that I have known for years, that lives less than 5 miles from me. Although he works a full time job he developed a small part time business doing exhaust insulation......I never knew....but at any rate we started discussing my project......he did my insulation...hard wrap.

Hey Pat I really enjoyed our visit last week. I have been wanting to make the trip to your place for sometime now, but I have to tell ya.....Wednesday night was the first time I have EVER seen a road sign warning "LIVE STOCK RUNNING LOOSE"......I was laughing out loud until I spotted a Black Cow, standing in a Black Road on a NO MOON night......thank God I was only going 45 MPH and looking for deer.

"LIVESTOCK RUNNING LOOSE"....thats a new on on me LOL

Harry
hb
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Like I said, Cattle Country...

Here's a sign from Route 66

scot

Post by scot »

Nice even flow Harry. How did it sound, or do I even need to ask lol.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Harry

Looking good. I bet it feels good to be closer to completiion. Nothing sounds better than the rumble of those Cummins.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Looking good Harry! but shouldn't hose motors be "in" the boat...

Quick question, you like the Trim E206? I have a guy coming today to talk to me about it...that is after trying the Trim Micro-Sol 595 and talking about the 595 XT after tryng the Houghton's HoCut 795 /795KB & 795CS Thats after dealing with a 1/2 dozen other manufactures and brands.

It's a real pain in the butt I have been all over the spectrum, it seems that one formulation runs good on several materails but then one materal will cause grief, whether staining Alum or Brass, leaching lead from Brass or 12L14 and gumming up the spindle and coolant lines, reacting with another material and causing "jelly snot balls" which clog up the lines. Others have no sump life or cause dermatitise.

I used to use a failry inexpensive soluble oil, but they changed the formulation and it just doesn't do me justice. So I have been on a hunt for the best all around coolant, whether full soluble oil , semi synthetic or full synthetic.

Maybe not so quick.
Sorry for the hy-jack...back to the question. Do you like and use the E206, any down sides, stain, gum sump life?
mikepelham

Coolants

Post by mikepelham »

Sim:

I work and am now part owner in a chemical company. www.e-icc.com It was founded in 1906 and has an excellent line of products. I feel your pain relative to coolants. The e206 is a decent product but expensive. The Houghton 795 is really expensive but does do a decent job. I would welcome the opportunity to provide you with product, at no expense. We are a major supplier to Cummins Engine Company. They use our coolants in central systems for machining several of their engines, heads and components. They mostly use synthetics. However, in your case, a soluble oil, is the best selection. I am confident we can provide a product for you and actually I would welcome your feedback
Carl

Post by Carl »

Mike, wish I knew earlier. I now have Trim E906 coming in.

I'll pm you.

Thanks,
Carl
mikepelham

Coolant

Post by mikepelham »

Carl

Post by Carl »

I read that article...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:Looking good Harry! but shouldn't hose motors be "in" the boat...
A boat with running motors.......now that's an interesting concept.....it's been so long that I forgot where the engines go...LOL

Coolant.......that a good topic for discussion. In the early days we used a Mobile product that was simply soluble oil....I guess it was pretty good but the Monday morning smell would choke a skunk so I went off looking for something else. Next I started using Master Chemicals Trimsol...somewhat better but one of my machinist started complaining about dermatitis so for him we went back to the Mobile Stuff then I found out that the dermatitis was nothing more that his needle marks turning red....so I fired him and went back to the Trimsol.

Keep in mind it is very expensive changing coolants. To properly clean a machine and prepare for the new coolant it takes no less than a day cleaning then there is the disposal of old coolant and cleaning water.

I put the E-206 in our conventional machines and have started using Castrol MB50 in all except one of the CNC Machines. I like the MB50....actually I like it a lot........but I am rarely completely satisfied....I always think there is something better around the corner.....so I recently decided to try a coolant that I have been interested in for several years.

The latest for me is the Blaser coolant by Swiss Lube. I was reluctant to try the Blaser for years because the mixer was very very expensive. They claim it takes a special supersonic mixer to obtain the best droplet size. Well recently I bought the mixer and charged one machine with the Swisslube.......so far I think I like it but the jury is still out. One of the problems is that it is a mineral oil base and has an affinity for tramp oil sooooooooo now I have purchased and installed what I think is a good Coolant filter/oil separator coolant conditioner.

Mike, I will read the article that you linked us to and like I said I am always looking for something better.....who know I may be giving you a call.

Engines IN THE BOAT! ! ! ! Uhmmmmmmmm

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote:
It was a cheap shot...but those are the ones I love.
Seriously, I like the exhaust...but still looks better in the boat. LOL

Coolant...It used to be EZ. We used one soluble for years, tried others but went back to the one soluble. It had a decent sump life if you took care of it and was inexpensive.

Then they changed it, still cheap but the sump life tanked no matter what you did so we started searching for something better.

Ran the upgraded solubles from several companies, some turned very quickly others reacted with metals, others jellied some made my arms break out and finally found a Semi that worked well, but expensive. Then found that reacted with Alum so went to another grade which reacted with Leaded materails like brass and 12L14 so went up another grade which was really no better. So they had nothing better to offer so switched companies and tried Trim's semi which was good but turned a bit too quick in one application so they came down and recommended ther premium soluble....

Yeah it has been a RoYal Pain, each time removing the old coolant washing, cleaning machine/ machines out, ruuninng the cleaning solutions, recleaning and finally switching the coolant. A Royal PAIN.

I thought the machining was supposed to be the hard part...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:It was a cheap shot...but those are the ones I love.
LOL!!....You have to take those shots anytime ya get the chance......its called self defense.....my buddies are acustom to it.......just remember the paybacks are hell! ! ! ! LOL! ! !

H
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Harry Babb wrote: LOL!!....You have to take those shots anytime ya get the chance......its called self defense.....my buddies are acustom to it.......just remember the paybacks are hell! ! ! ! LOL! ! !

H
LOL !!! Yes they are, But I laugh at myself more then anyone so it's all good...long as it's coming from a friend.
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Harry, Looks great...nice job on the exhaust...you make the shower heads? Paint em up n put em in.....that parade is around the corner...and I want pictures of denada all decked out for christmas..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Carl wrote:But I laugh at myself more then anyone so it's all good
I have no problem at all admitting to doing stupid things.....I don't like it but I found that admitting it and laughing at yourself is somewhat healing.

Now the story....you knew a story was coming.....

Last weekend I added another $800.00 to the Eternal Bertram Project. It was rainy off and on all weekend so I chose to devote time to getting the engines ready for final paint. I had placed one of the engines on a pallet out of the reach of an overhead crane. I needed to move it and to do so required the forklift. The first order of business was to move the other engine out of the way. So I cranked the forklift, picked up the engine and backed right thru a partically opened roll up door. The first words out of my mouth started out sort of like the Lords Prayer but surely did not finish out that way....

Ya see the funny part (not Ha Ha funny) is that I broke my own rule and that is if you open a roll up door more than 1" then open it all the way.....NEVER NEVER NEVER stop partically open......I preach that all of the time and for just over 9 years no one has ever damaged a door......I had to be the first.....

That door is getting charged to DeNada!! ! !

Harry
hb
Carl

Post by Carl »

Don't you just love the distinct sound of a forklift going into a rollup door...

Harry, I would just say you were proving your point!! Now that is exactly why you don't leave the door open just a little!

That bill should not be put towards DeNada but towards your "Shop Safety Instructional Fund" as a lesson on why the door must either be "Fully Open or Fully Closed".
Yup... defintely a write off in my book. Nothing more important then safety...and a demonstration is the best lesson.

:)

Carl