B28 - Dreaded Leaking Windows

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Wingnut

B28 - Dreaded Leaking Windows

Post by Wingnut »

Yup, I got 'em. What are my options? Boat is a '77 FB B28. I'm thrilled to be the new owner and slept on-board for the first time last week. The thunderstorms brought a slow leak from both front corners of the windows.

I'd like to make (or have made?) a front windshield cover anyway. Will this stop the leaks or does it come in the side windows and run down to enter the front corners anyway?

I had previously asked about shipping and wanted to let everyone know that I had excellent service from Rob Lee at Maritime in MA. No problems or damage and on time to the hour!

I'd love to post a pic but have not found the way??? Hints?

Thanks all!

JD
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I had a sunbrella cover made for my front windows mainly for the sun, but the water will roll off it for about 6 months or so before you hit it with that tent waterproofing stuff again. Mine covers the triangular portion of the side windows for about one foot. There were some leaks when I got the boat, I do not notice it anymore. If you hit the side windows with garden hose stream it will bubble through in the track. If you have the vented front windows I would highly recomend the sunbrella cover to help with the leaks.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

I have the same problem with the windows on my 1978 31' Sportfish. I am going to try to buy new gaskets for them and I would like to make a sunbrella cover for the front windows and the first couple of feet of the side windows. I was wondering if anyone has a pattern to make a window cover with. Maybe an old damaged or little used window cover that I could use as a pattern and return. Mine have leaked so much I have to replace the teak and holly floors up front.

JR
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: B28 - Dreaded Leaking Windows

Post by CaptPatrick »

Wingnut wrote:I'd love to post a pic but have not found the way??? Hints?
Links and Images
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Thanks Capt Pat, I'll give it a try!

Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Kevin,

Thanks, as you can see in the picture- vented windows!

I've seen a few pictures on the net of various covers. I like the idea of maybe wrapping around the side a foot or so. That takes this discussion past a simple rectangle and in to the realm of hiring a pro!

Does yours use snaps to attach? Can the window frames be drilled to accept the snaps on threaded posts or does that lead to more leaks (or worse yet cracked glass!)?

Thanks all!

JD
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

There are several ways but I would discuss them with your Canvas pro. On my 31, they're all snaps drilled into the fiberglass. I wouldn't drill into the frames. I have seen a track around the upper end with a sewn in piping that runs in it, and snaps on the bottom. You can also use industrial velcro to hold the sides on your vented sides.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

[img][img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z170/1kevinmehegan/th_windowcoverandinterior002.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z170/1kevinmehegan/th_windowcoverandinterior001.jpg[/img][/img]
[img][img]http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z170/1kevinmehegan/th_benchseat013.jpg[/img][/img]

This cover is held on by snaps. When I purchased the boat it already had a cover on the front window but it was in poor shape. I tried to wash it in the machine.........bad idea, it was detroyed to the point it was not even usable as a templet. On my boat there is nowhere to screw the snaps into the fiberglass at the top and even the bottom would change the fit of the canvas. Just use TefGel to slow the corrossion down. This cover only comes off to hand wash and waterproof about once a year. I have left it on for all the near hits of all the storms down here. It even took Wilma without so much as having one snap come off. I can get some more detailed pics if you need them, these are just the ones I happen to have on Photobucket. I need to get some transducer shots today so its no problem if you need them.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Kevin,

Thanks for the pictures. To be clear, are your snaps anchored IN the metal frames?

Beautiful boat by the way!

JD
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Yes the snaps are in the metal frames.
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

Wingnut:

Congrats!

Do a water test using a garden hose to try and figure where your windows are leaking..........................most B28's that suffer leaks do so at the bottom of the windows aluminum channel framework where they are bolted onto the hull cap as well as their outside perimeter edges......either the track is no longer sealed to the hull cap as the bedding has deteriorated over time,especially due to the flybridge causing flex/stress....... and/or the water is getting in via the window channels themselves where they are bolted into the hull cap....................

My windows leak, and every couple of years I perimeter caulk the outside and inside of the frames' 'perimeters' to slow down / eliminate the water leaks.......short of a complete disassembly and jacking up / shoring the flybridge and then removing, repairing and reinstalling the frames and windows leak fix options are limited and short term.......covers help somewhat.....
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Hey Wingnut,

How is your bimini attached? It sure looks neat and clean compared to mine which has six SS supports cluttering up the outside of the bridge. I'm thinking of attaching a lighter gauge bimini to the rails that run along the sides of the bridge, and I'm thinking that might be how yours is attached. If so are you keeping it up w/ poles, or straps?
In Memory Walter K

Steve- I have a 31 and the bimini is connected those side rails and has been since I got it 35 years ago! I have a full enclosure and have had no problems even through a few NE hurricanes...as long as nothing opens up to let the wind in. There are 4 adjustable straps that I keep real tight. Walter
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

SteveZ,

The boat is now in Rockhall, MD. If you want to come see it PM me.

I'll take some pictures as I can't describe it too well. It has two anchor points on the folding frame in the middle and aft and two straps in the front.

I should add that it seems rock solid and took the thunderstorms and WIND last week really well.

JD
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Thanks for the info guys. The picture below illustrates my bimini's six mounting points.
Aside from the clutter its a real PITA since I have to drop it and raise it twice to get under a bridge every time I leave the dock.

'nut, I'll drop you a line next time I head down to Rock Hall. I'd love to take a look. (I'm on the Bush River)
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

How mine attaches -

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Jeremy, that's exactly what I'm thinking, except straps aft as well.
Guess I could start w/ straps and add supports if necessary.
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

Here's a few more pictures that show attachment points - The rear is a solid tube attachment but you could easily make that straps. Let me know if you need anything else - It's behind my house so easy access.

1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
In Memory Walter K

It's all straps on my 31. No problem.
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

Steve,

I finally got a chance to get the pictures of my B28's enclosure. Hopefully these are helpful and illustrate how the top is attached.

Take care,

Wnut