invitations

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

randall

invitations

Post by randall »

hey...im in two shows coming up shortly and would welcome anyone whos in the area to come by and say hello. saturday the 18th at the parrish art museum in southampton NY and from the 23rd to the 27th at the national building museum in DC. i really enjoyed meeting folks last time in DC and hope you'll come again.....thanks

http://www.parrishart.org/upcoming.asp?id=291

http://www.smithsoniancraftshow.org/indexmain.asp

John F.

Post by John F. »

I'm not sure what day, but I'll see you in DC. If anybody anywhere near DC is thinking about attending, Randall's work is amazing, and the last time I was there the rest of the show was pretty amazing also. The National Building Museum is a great building.

John F.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Randall, John,
My bride and I are planning to come. Don't have a definite date. Should we try to coordinate something for lunch or din-din?
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

just come by anytime the shows open...im always there. there are no lunch breaks and caren my wife has a lot of food allergies so shes shy about dinner invites. looking forward to seeing you..now a drink after the show might work.....
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Ill be there
randall

Post by randall »

cool..
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yas sa, boss
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Randall,
Thanks for the invitation. Might not have gone had I not been given a kick in the slats. Caren is quite a lady, Bryan and I thoroughly enjoyed meeting her.
Gang,
If you have never seen Randall's work first hand you are in for an amazing adventure. I first saw one of his clip boards when he brought it to Port Eades to Uncle Vic as a gift. Knocked us all out, especially Vic.
For those of you who are not familiar with Randall's work he carves from one block of wood and hand paints some of the most amazing subjects. Check his first post at the top for the show sites or go to his website.
http:www.randallrosenthal.com
The D. C. show we attended is the most prestigious craft show in the country and his work shines through. You should see the faces on the patrons when they learn that all of is works are one piece of wood. Most we saw stood in awe and kept saying, "One piece of wood? No way!"

Hope you kicked ass Randall.
Hope the two of you can make it to the 'land of pleasant living.'
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
randall

Post by randall »

mikey...it was really great of both of you to come and a real treat for for us. we truly appreciated it. the show is way slower than 06 for me . im going with the flow. thanks again.

try to imagine saying its carved from wood 300 times a day.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Randall,

Hope you do well.

I've done more than my share of shows. Five years in the machine tool industry and the past twenty in home shows...You get tired of saying the same thing and at the end you can get punchy...next time someone asks what one of your carvings are made of,

Try this....(with a Tony Soprano kinda accent)

" It's injected molded plastic ..Have em made in china and I have a container full at Port Elizabeth...
They're five bucks a piece or 2 for 9.99..
How many you want???"

Reaction should be priceless..Especially with who I can imagine are your clients..

Good luck with the other shows. I'd like to catch one if you ever make it up this way.

Ray
randall

Post by randall »

TW...just read your post to my wife caren....cracked her up. she has to listen to me talk all day. this is only the second show of this type ive done. all the other shows are gallery and museum shows which are far longer and much easier. you go to the opening and talk to 200 people for 20 seconds each and you done. this is a little nuts but it worked out so well the first time i gave it another shot. besides sales its good for networking but 99% is wasted effort and mindless babble.

today i was comparing it to fishing......im not trying to catch 50 bluefish...im trying to catch a marlin. so far we have one in the cockpit and one on the hook.....and a small mahi.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Randall, Ray
The most important thing about doing shows (I've done them for thirty years as an exhibiter and speaker) is comfortable shoes.
Bet you noticed that right off, huh, Randall?
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
Harv

Post by Harv »

Randall,

Sorry I didn't make it. It turned out that the evening opening coincideed with prior arrangements. However, I did interest someone new about your carvings, and instead of attending her show, next time, maybe she will join me and attend yours.
Harv
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Mikey

After doing IMTS for 10 days each in 80' 82' and 84' The first item I bought when I started doing shows on my own was a quality pad and a carpet for the booth.

Ray
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tunawish wrote:Mikey

After doing IMTS for 10 days each in 80' 82' and 84' The first item I bought when I started doing shows on my own was a quality pad and a carpet for the booth.

Ray
Ray what did you sell back then?
randall

Post by randall »

there was good carpet and just looking at the interior of the national building museum all day is a treat. naturally someone commissioned me to do something with 10 minutes left in the show. 2 hours to load the truck and 6.5 to drive from DC to eastern LI...i'm shot.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

jspiezio wrote: Ray what did you sell back then?
Don't you remember I PM 'd you last year ???... I was with Methods as an engineer installing the Matsuura's all over the country.

I installed your VMC 760 for your Dad Jack back in 80-81

Ray
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tunawish wrote: Don't you remember I PM 'd you last year ???... I was with Methods as an engineer installing the Matsuura's all over the country.

I installed your VMC 760 for your Dad Jack back in 80-81

Ray
I thought that was you but I am a dumb ass sometimes. I spoke to Sato the other day, he is doing great.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

J

It's OK.... I already forgot what I had for breakfast...

Does Sato have contact info for Jim Byrne?? I lost touch w/him after they let him go..

Ray
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

tunawish wrote:J

It's OK.... I already forgot what I had for breakfast...

Does Sato have contact info for Jim Byrne?? I lost touch w/him after they let him go..

Ray
Yes, I'll call Sato today and get it for you. I think my dad may have it also, I'll talk to him today.

John