source for inexpensive Teak Lumber

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

source for inexpensive Teak Lumber

Post by Buju »

Not meaning to detract from Tunawish's generous offer here, but this is too good not to mention...

I have a source here in Key Largo who has Teak available at $11 a board foot. This is roughly half of what I am used to paying.
No, it's not FEQ Burmese teak.
What we are looking at is Plantation Teak FAS...
After visually inspecting the numerous pallets, I'd estimate that 95% of the wood is potentially usable for marine applications. There are boards here and there which have a small corner with a bit of sapwood, or a knot... but like I said, the vast majority is good usable heartwood. He's also got it in cargo containers with dehumidifiers and fans to further stabilize it... It is what it is, at what I feel is a great price.

So, to summerize- it is plantation teak (from C.America I'd think) and he's parting wiith it for $11 a BF. Anyone interested send me a email or PM and I'll put you in touch with him directly...
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Buju...

In case anyone doubts your comment about the cost of the teak you are used to paying.. I bought 45 board feet of rough 5/4 by 6" wide rough teak last summer locally for an even $20/bf. At $11/bf it is a steal!
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Buju,
Taking nothing away from your supplier as it does sound like a great price.

You may want to test a piece before committing to a large quantity and just a word of caution re the classification of "plantation teak". This has become a warm and fuzzy "green" word to cover a wide range of material and in some cases we have seen it's not teak at all.

We have these deals on stock being offered to us all the time on exotics especially in large quantities. We've tested quite a few over the years and only took advantage of one.

It's typically fast grown stock that doesn't handle being cut to well. The stress built up from a fast growing tree gets released real quick on the table saw and you end up with something that looks like a fork.
The fact that he is trying to keep it dry also doesn't sound promising as teak shouldn't really absorb moisture because of the natural wax/oil content.

I could be way off here and you may have a great deal on your hands but in any case I would test cut a board, typically when ripping, to see if it takes off on you first..

Ray
Buju

Post by Buju »

I hear ya on the warnings Ray... all good advice.

It's definatley Tectona grandis... he was ripping a board when I walked in. I picked it up and first smelled it (nothing else smells like teak..that I'm aware of) and it seemed to take a cut well.
The fresh cut did have the faint oiliness it should as well. I'm sure some boards are going to be better/worse than others. And I think it's great advice to buy a little before any large order...
He's also a very knowlegable custom furniture maker, and we've discussed the problems with marketing & "plantation teak" in the past... I feel his confindence to order this large of an amount speaks volumes, but he's only human as well... so who knows.
He's got it in the metal shipping containers for lack of other storage space... Our constant ambient humidity down here is the reason for the dehumidifier & fans, otherwise it'd develop some serious mold/mildew on the surface in real short order in the dark, sun heated containers. There are four or five pallets covered with a tarp outside too, he's waiting on a little storage space to clear up in the shop, to bring it in to the AC.

So, was thinking it was potentally a great opp. to get some of the faithful's hands on some teak. Last thing I wanna do is supply ya'll with bunk teak...but like I said, it aint no FEQ Burma teak.
Ya normally get what you pay for, but this seems like you may be able to come out ahead and actually get more than ya paid for. Too good to be true, I dunno.
I was thinking on picking up a 2" thick slab to make a 6 rod rocket launcher... If & when I do, I'll certainly post the results with pics.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Buju,

I had no idea you were dealing with a furniture maker. I thought it might have been a broker. I guess it was pretty stupid of me to assume that, with all the experience you have, I should have known better. Hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Sounds like you got quite a find on your hands..
To bad you weren't closer..

Maybe I could get my nephew Chris to get about 500BF loaded on to his CG cutter. He's stationed right there in Key West. He could run it up the coast for me.!!! I think the CG would give the Commander a 90 footer for about a week..what do ya think?? lol
Buju

Post by Buju »

No worries Ray, everything you brought up was very valid.

As to my experience, well it's not that in depth at all... I'm just a painter/wood finisher/refinisher with an unhealthy obsession for teak...
I know a thing or two about making it pretty (a great deal of which comes from Capt. Patrick) but that's about it. As to actual knowledge of teak woodcraft- it's pretty basic and I'm sure yours far exceeds my own.

I have been refinishing antique furniture since I was 14... then moved on to painting, and finishing newly constructed woodwork (floors, stairways, doors, etc) and I dabble with a little finish carpentry. but I've always been a sucker for anything teak... which is why I'm thinking about getting some of this for new bathroom floors in the house, and a new bartop in the kitch/dinning room. I know it'd be fine for those interior apps.

Would love to be able to pick up enough to store it under the house for a few years to use on the B20 & B25 for the sole and covering boards in the future. The longer this stuff sits around in a dry(ish) environment, the better it'll become, correct????

Yeah distance is a factor, of course. But the money saved on the teak, could justify the shipping if the order were large enough. But, like you said...small order first, see if it's up to snuff.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Buju,
The only thing about storing solid stock for long periods is that I would keep it in temp controlled storage. The heating and cooling over and over will eventually affect all wood types that are not fastened down by checking and warping. It's also critical that it be supported very well, level and straight as possible.

I hope you know I was joking about shipping it !! But My nephew really is the commander of the 90 foot cutter stationed there in key west.
I can't remember the name of the cutter. He got his command in June 08.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Ray,
Summer temps usually in the mid 90's, winter temps in the 70's... with the exception of a quick dip into the 50's the day after a cold front pushes thru. So not too much varience to initiate expansion & contraction... All the stock is rough sawed to either 1,2 or 3" thick and stacked on pallets... I think next time I finish a sizable job, I'm gonna put all profits into purchasing some of this stock... see what I meant by unhealthy obsession?

Yep, I knew you were joking about having the CG do the shipping. I was talking about throwing a pallet or two in a truck, and paying freight charges.
Congrats to your nephew, hell of a position.
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

Buju,

Now you got me thinking...

This is weird but I just got an OK last night for an out door Kitchen for late summer. I'll probably need 250-300+ bf. I may take advantage of this if the numbers work.

I would also need to have a sample sent up so I can to match veneered ply. This may not be a problem as the pricing may allow us to make entire cabinet out of solid..

What is the variations on length and width

Do they have loading capabilities

I'll investigate shipping once I know specs for stock and site loading, unless you have a carrier you can recommend locally.

Of course I'll pay you for your time running around, just let me know..

Thanks
Ray
Buju

Post by Buju »

Ray,

I'll send you a pm or email with his contact info... I guess I could post it, but haven't run it by him, so not sure how I feel doing so.
I beleive he's got a forklift on premises, but am not certain...

No problem about me running around, his shop is less than a block from my house...Please be certain to tell him that you heard of him from Mark @ Cay Coatings (that's me) as he occasionaly helps me out with referals, and I'm simply trying to help him move some teak stock ...symbiosis, if you will...

I sincerely hope the material is up to your standards, and if you go ahead with an order, that it is beneficial for both parties involved.
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Buju,

Please PM me his contact # as I might be interested in getting some.

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Buju

Post by Buju »

PM's sent to DQ & Tunawish...
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

Thanks Buju.

Has anybody used Sapele wood, very similar to teak?

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
tunawish

Post by tunawish »

DQ,
Up here it's one of 2 species of what our suppliers call African Mahogany, Sapelle and Kaia.
We use Sapelle constantly but not as a substitute to Teak but to Honduras Mahogany. Similar grain but a bit browner...Less pink, stable, grain is a bit wild at times, a lot of "ribbon" and much less expensive than Honduras.

We have only used it indoors.

Make sure you specify the Sapelle and not the Kaia. You won't
like the Kaia..

Ray
Chuck Fulmer

PM request for teak

Post by Chuck Fulmer »

Buju
PM me the info on the teak.
Thanks
Chuck
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Buju,
Would you PM or call my cell(561-310-7179) on the info for the teak supplier in Key Largo, I've got a guy in Stuart that needs a bunch.
Pete