Volvo Penta IPS

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hueso

Volvo Penta IPS

Post by Hueso »

Is anyone crazy enough to install one of this systems in a B31?.....

http://ips.volvo.com/main.aspx
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

we all run too much stuff over already, how would we afford to fix it.
ed c.

Volvo IPS

Post by ed c. »

I think Bruce and UV really like the idea of matching the legend with the future hall of fame IPS system. It's really up their alley.
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

That's the system that Thuuuuuds putting in the Tub. Mark can help him with it. Appears to be self dredging .
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
CMP

Post by CMP »

As far as I know, they still haven't release IPS for the repower market yet. At last year's Miami show, the Volvo people told me it would probably be done for the January show. Right now, they're having a hard time keeping up with the new boat market, esp in Europe...

CMP
Hueso

Post by Hueso »

talk to a Volvo mechanic down here and he told me that if I plan to do that, the first thing I should do is reinforce the hull in the area where the system will come out.
CMP

Post by CMP »

Hueso, he's right. The production boats I;ve seen with IPS have very specific schedules. If you think thi is an avenue you want to pursue (and I don't think it's the right application in your case), your best bet is to go see it in person...

CMP
Harv

Post by Harv »

Although I probably wouldn't opt for this type of drive system for my 31, however, if I did, I would probably go with Merc's version where the props are pushing instead of pulling through the water. I like the idea of at least getting a little protection for the props by the skeg on the drive.
Harv
ed c.

IPS System

Post by ed c. »

CMP, if they like it in Europe it must have an unseen problem. If you hit something with those props and the system breaks off, how long do you think the replacement will take. If they give you a 10 year warranty ok, but the cost to replace same must be significant, plus the loss of time using the boat, haul out and blocking up.