outriggers and tops

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

outriggers and tops

Post by JohnCranston »

after much debate, we decided to go with a soft top and radar arch combo. We know that a tower would probably look much better, but, it won't get much use for our fishing and trailering needs. Question is, is there any preference on which brand riggers to use on the soft top? Taco, Top Guns, Side Winders? There's alot of stuff out there, and would like some input if possible.
Many thanks everyone.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

You'll want those rigger bases bolted on to plates welded ib the sides of the arch for easier accessibility plus the ability to have them at the same angle of the arch (for good looks). That being said, Lee, Rupp, Pompanette all make good bases/outriggers. Another alternative are bases that clamp on the arch tubing itself. No plates, drilling, bolting, etc. Just match the size of the clamps to the tubing of your arch.
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Walter,
What I'm looking for is the top mount bases and riggers...the ones that you maneuver from underneath via a locking handle.
Thanks.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

John,

One thing to REALLY keep in mind about what are basically T-top style outriggers is you are very limited in the pole length. Most mgf limit them to 16' I think Lee may offer 18'. Either way, that is a very short spread. I prefer long riggers and have 30 footers on Fin Chaser which allows me to pull three lines from each rigger and not tangle even in hard turns. Another issue with T-top mounts is you are usually mounting them two or three feet inside from the outside edge of the boat which looses you more spread. One last thing is heavy baits. If you pull heavy baits or teasers the style of holder you are describing are known for rotating backwards under heavy loads.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Dan,
All are good points...talk me into a marlin tower instead...that's what we really want.
Thanks.
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Didn't want to be the party pooper but it's nearly impossible to run more than one line from 16' poles unless you rarely make any turns. Lee used to make a 22' pole that fit into their skiff style mount. I have seen guys put then on arches and they work well plus they can't rotate back regardless of the load.

Dan
In Memory Walter K

I have only seen that type of base work on a hardtop as the lock position needs a solid base. It needs a thru-top installation, and I don't know how that works with a soft top. Walter
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

Precision Marine Maximizers are what I have bolted to the sides of my arch. Work very well.

http://www.precisionmarinehardware.com/
Jim
1975 28 FBC
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Kinda thinking that classis boats deserve classic lines.

Marlin or half tower with 22 ft Ruppss no spreaders Mounted to follow the forward rake of the windshield. 2 14ft vhf sticks a nav/anchor light, GPS domes flush to the top, radar in the middle. Classic and clean

There was a blue hulled 31 Bahia I saw a few years ago and they did a great divinycell half tower (hard top) and put the top guns in it and to be honest it just looked incomplete same with the Marlin Tower boat that runs around up here.

The top guns or other just look out of place on a classic boat IMHO

At this point in your project it would be like putting a giant foam cowboy hat on a beautiful girl. "Great looking girl WTF is up with the hat?"

You only get to build it once.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CMP

Post by CMP »

I had a marlin tower built for the B25 and put tower mounted 5' Rupps mounts with 18' simgle spreaders. Makes a fantastic spread...

CMP
Capt. DQ

Post by Capt. DQ »

John,

Here's my vote for your boat, which you have posted pictures before, go with the full Marlin tower w/ Rupp Tournament 26' gold single spreaders, mounted to the gunnels, that would be a awesome classic look. Just my opinion.

R,
DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
Harv

Post by Harv »

JohnCranston wrote:Dan,
All are good points...talk me into a marlin tower instead...that's what we really want.
Thanks.
John,

You and Pam know the set up I have on my boat. Soft top bimini with a radar arch. I have Lee Jr's mounted to the sides of the helm area. I also bought a set of rubber oar locks that I mounted to the arch and they hold the riggers to the sides of the arch when not being used. The riggers were mounted on the boat before the arch was, and I just got lucky with the way they lined up. If Pam needs more pictures, I'll be happy to post them. Plus she also saw the tower I want to put on my boat eventually, from our conversations, I believe you liked the design.
Harv
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

OK, dammit. I'll go with the stinking tower. You guys twisted my arm. I just talked to the welder and he's on board. He's thinking of a double hooped soft top and top station being about 1' above that. No one that I know of can make a pretty molded fiberglass hard top with the nice rolled edges in my area. They all look homemade and ugly. I already have tournament Rupp bases and 18' poles with single spreaders. He's wanting to mount the rigger bases to the tower for easy maneuverability when walking up to the bow. What do you guys think? I know that Capt DQ likes the bases on the sides of the cabin, like I used to have them set up. The welder would sure likes some pics of towers on Bahia's if possible. Any help/advice is very much appreciated. As you can tell, I listen to what you guys tell me.
Thanks again for getting me lined out.
Hookshurt

Post by Hookshurt »

Since we're on the subject of outriggers, how much is too much? My 28 had a set of 32' Rupp double spreaders when I bought it and it kind of looked like a shrimp boat to me. I've debated selling and downsizing but considering there wasn't too much interest by buyers I've debated just putting them back on. Is there any advise for what size riggers are just too big or too small for any given boat? I haven't gotten a chance to see how functional they are because the beast hasn't really worked since I bought her. Hope this isn't considered a hi-jack on a thread but it might be applicable for JC's decision on what riggers he finally puts on his boat.
In Memory Walter K

In my humble opinion your sized boat would normally handle 18-22 ft outriggers with or without single spreaders. I would think you'd look pretty top heavy with 32 footers. Walter
tds8268

Post by tds8268 »

Why not check out some of the images posted and see what looks good to you. As long as your riggers follow the lines of the top frame and don't stick out way past your transom, the length is up to you. Nearly every mfg. will tell you not to have the riggers extend past your transom. If your still wondering about 32 footers, you can see what 30 footers look like on my site.

Dan
www.finchasersportfishing.com
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

One reason not to have outriggers extend past the transom--it makes it difficult to transer passangers and equipment to another boat if they both have long riggers---as transom to transom is the perferred way if the seas are rough.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Don't know if this gives you any help, but the stock outriggers on our 31 FBC had poles that were 19 " with 4 foot base's. The extended just past the tansome in the up position. I always thought another 3 to 5 feet would give us a better spread when trolling. So on a 28, something in the 19 to 22 foot range would probably look balanced.