New old bertram owner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Joe Vukan

New old bertram owner

Post by Joe Vukan »

Sold my 68 Chris Craft Lancer I owned for 35 years and purchased a 77 Bertram Bahia Mar, used it for two months without any major problems, one shift cable broke. Always wanted a Bahia Mar, now I have one. Needs a lot of fix'in up, rear deck, gas tank, new name, canvas, and a good clean up. It's now out of the water next to my house and work has started. The boat hauler suggested I put a bow eye on it. My question is how should I back it up and where should I place it?
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you got a weath of knowlege and talented guys right in your back yard, and Jp as well
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

There are several B-31 owners in your area plus some yards that have done some beautiful restorations. I have never seen a lift ring on a 31 Bahia Mar and see no reason to put one on. Lifting a B-31 with a pair of diesels and a full tank of fuel with anything else except straps from under the hull is pure folly in my opinion. I don't care what kind of backing plate the ring would have. The only way I could see it would be if the ring went right down into a keel mounting. Good luck and welcome aboard! Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Joe,

If you're contemplating the bow eye only to accommodate the boat hauler & maybe an occasional trailering from time to time, don't do it.

The bow can be secured down to the trailer from the bow cleats. Use two ratchet straps across the cockpit & one just forward of the windshield. It won't move on the trailer.

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

Walter, not only is the backing an issue, I think that would be an extremely highly rated ring to take the force needed to pull that boat on to a trailer, fuel or not. I'm not sure I would trust it with my baby!

By the way, Joe Vukan, congratulations and best of luck!
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

1965/2007 Bertram 31
jspiezio

Post by jspiezio »

wow, that is cool
RussP

Post by RussP »

I think I will add a Toe Eye on my next haul out. If you ever had the displeasure of being towed in heavy seas being pulled from the bow cleats makes he ride that much more unbearable.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Russ the Perkins love the heavy seas. They will think they are home. They wont let you down. They never let me down!
RussP

Post by RussP »

Brewester, we have 100% confidance in the old iron but things happen that are beyond our control. We also might run into someone with a nice mega-yacht that will tow the old 31 as we sip umbrella drinks on the lido deck while on the way to the islands.

RussP
KAHUNA 1963 Sportfish
Joe Vukan

Post by Joe Vukan »

Thanks for the information. The bow trailering eye is low on the prority list, I have time to think about this project before April when the boat will be hauled back to the water.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Joe

Welcome. My boat is south of you in Forked River. There are several 31 up in Toms River, a bunch in Point Pleasant and of course Barnegat Light. Good luck and you will find a wealth of knowledge here. Tony Meola