K & N's for Yanmar

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Eddy G

K & N's for Yanmar

Post by Eddy G »

For any of you guys thinking about replacing your stock foam air filters on your 4LHA Yanmars, I have installed some universal K & N's that fit perfectly. They are the exact size and shape as the originals. I gave their technical guy the specs for the engine and he said they exceed the air requirements. Model number RU-0980. I paid $38.85 each shipped to my door. It has been about 100 hours since I installed them and no issues. I also made a bracket that attaches at the turbo to help support the filters and to hold the blowby hose. (Another option is Tony Athens at boatdiesel.com developed a filter that also looks good) I'll try to attach a picture.

Eddy G.

Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

do they have them for the lp6 315
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

Brewster: You would have to measure the inlet size of your turbo and general size of the stock filter. Then, go to their web site http://www.knfilters.com/search/univround.aspx and see what they have that fits. When I found the one for my engine, I called their technical support guys to make sure the filter didn't restrict the flow. He asked for hp, rpm, displacement, boost, etc. and determined that they were more than ok.

Eddy G.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Nice article...Brew
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Just curious, what is the advantage of the K & N filter over the stock foam filter ?
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Harv

Post by Harv »

ZeroCavity wrote:Just curious, what is the advantage of the K & N filter over the stock foam filter ?
AIRFLOW

K&N's have improved airflow compared to stock filters.
(this gives you a slight increase in performance)
They also have flame arrester's for gas motors as well....
Just ask Dick Dean.....he swears by them.
Harv
ZeroCavity

Post by ZeroCavity »

Thanks Harv ! Still I don't see how, because the foam seems to me to be very light, if anything I don't think the foam filter that much and let a lot of air go through. On the other hand the K & N looks like it will do a better job filtering. Just my opinion and observation.
1965/2007 Bertram 31
Eddy G

Post by Eddy G »

If you look at all the other major manufacturers, they all tend to use a pleated type substantial air filter. There was a thread here a year or so ago about the Yanmar air filters and Bruce posted that he felt that the foam ones were adequate. So I guess it's personal preference. It would seem that the cleaner the air, the cleaner the air cooler fins would stay equating to less maintenance and overall better for the engine.

Eddy G.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I use the SN filters I got from Tony Athens on my Cummins. Big advantage to me is that after the initial purchase, you can clean them and they're as good as new. I had to pay for a set of the paper ones at the start of every season and they were getting fairly expensive. Walter
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Hardcore"Brew"!! Great article.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ed c.

K & N filters

Post by ed c. »

I agree with Zero, that hole can only inhale so much air, plus i can clean the air filters at least once. I don 't know what the cost of a Cummins air filter is, but the Yanmar is not expensive at all.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I could buy a new S&N filter every season for what the big paper ones for the Cummins cost. Walter
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

I got a set from Tony Athens at BOATDUIESEL.com For the Cummins
Real nice... In fact Ive got a set of Walker airseps for sale now..
Wayne
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

I put the K&N's on my 4Lh's last year. 200 hrs. no problem. I tried Tony Athens but they would not fit my application. My fear was the foam breaking up and passing thru the turbo. Mine arn't the same diameter as stock but twice as thick.

Imagete.[/url]
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Harv

Post by Harv »

ZeroCavity wrote:Thanks Harv ! Still I don't see how, because the foam seems to me to be very light, if anything I don't think the foam filter that much and let a lot of air go through. On the other hand the K & N looks like it will do a better job filtering. Just my opinion and observation.
ADDING HORSEPOWER
WITHOUT COMPROMISING RELIABILITY

"K&N Lifetime air filters feature High-Flow Technology to help your car breathe easier, giving you the power you crave without the reliability headache often associated with high performance parts - and because K&N is a Lifetime filter, it never needs to be replaced."
I know it says car, but an engine is an engine.

http://www.knfilters.com/ads/linerpm.aspx
Harv
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

thos filters look good, i have the 4 bangers to , have not had anyproblems with the stock foam filters, i change them out every 100 hrs with my oil change. think they only cost 5 bucks for 2
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Harv wrote:ADDING HORSEPOWER
WITHOUT COMPROMISING RELIABILITY

I know it says car, but an engine is an engine.
Harv,

Just finished installing K&N 77 Series High-Flow Performance Kit on my truck. Hopefully it'll push me up closer to what the fuel economy that GMC touts, but doesn't deliver. Damned sure has more pep in it's step now. Sounds kinda' racey now when I stomp it... Gotta' break that habit quick, but just had to do it.