Best Diesel for 28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

buzzk

Best Diesel for 28

Post by buzzk »

A friend of mine has a gas powered 1977 FBC 28. He's talking about putting Diesels in. What's the best engines for this installation? Thanks Buzz
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

The Faithful have installed Yanmars and Steyrs if I am not mistaken, with very positive results. Will surely end any Ethanol problems if he does. Don't remember any Cummins installations, but am probably wrong. I'm sure 28 owners will be chiming in real soon with the details. Walter
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

I have Cummins B210's and ZF transmissions. So far so good @ 1500 hours. Survey shots from two years ago...

This pic from last spring's bulkhead replacement shows you the risers that were added to accomodate the coolant cap. A little material appears to have been routed out of the hatches as well.

buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Steve what kind of speeds do you get with the 210? His is a 1977 model and I think his has a lower deck than the later models. Does yours have the higher deck? Thanks Buzz
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Best is rather subjective. Depending on budget and access to maint, I think the list includes Volvos, Yanmars, Cummins, and Styers. My thinking was - Volvo too many $$$$, Cummins Ok, Styers too new and no support, Yanmars were just right.

Yanmar 240 will "likely" fit under the low hatch models, but measure, measure, measure. Shaft size and positioning plays an important role. My hatches would close with Yanmars, but I raised the hatches to accommidate insulation and because my hatches tended to sag a bit when folks jump on them. Interestingly, the insulation really seemed to stiffen the hatches.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

This one could get interesting. Might just sit back and watch for a while.
scot

Post by scot »

Learn something every day. I didn't realize a 28 could hold 6B's. Judging from the pictures I guess the turbo versions would be too big for the engine bay / hatch cover?

Steve I hope you like the engines because I doubt you will EVER wear them out. If Cummins ever built a live-forever engine those are it, you could change the oil every 5 or 6 years....but only if you want to.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Scot
Take a really closer look..........those engines are turboed........but not after cooled

Harry Babb
hb
Thums Up

Post by Thums Up »

We have a pair of yan mar 240's in our boat in Costa Rica. They are great so far, cruise all day at 25 knots. Only like 500hr so far.
http://Www.GT-lures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scot

Post by scot »

Harry they were hidding from me. And...was under the impression the 210hp was the natural hp version? I guess I was wrong on both accounts, Not the first time, not even the first time today!

Thanks,
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Look at the new yanmar using the BMW block. We had one at the Mid-Atlantic Rendezvous. Looked very nice. Also look at Nanni. They have some very clean installations in 31B's and the 200Hp engine that pushes a 31 at 26kts should make the 28B really fly. www.bertramrendezvous.com has links to the yanmar dealer and the Nanni guys.
Good Luck
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

My freind has the Cummins 210s in his 31... Really sweet... & thrifty. Cruises at 22k at 2200 rpms.
Gotta be a great CHOICE FOR A B28 . KNOWING THEYLL FIIT,Turbos & no aftercoolers
Wayne
Capt. Mike Holmes

No Turbo on 6B?

Post by Capt. Mike Holmes »

Scot, actually, if you take the turbo off the 6B, as in industrial applications, it drops to I think 140 hp. I'm sure they run forever at that rating.
"There is nothing quite so satisfying, as simply messing around in boats."
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

I would hold off the Yanmar BY series (made by BMW) till 08'.

They have had some problems as with every new design and have started and stopped production numerous times.

I would wait till all the bugs are out.
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Buzz,

Here's some performance figures from last year. Having blasted, filled, sealed and painted the bottom this spring doesn't seem to have had much effect on these numbers.

'83 B28 FBC w/ Cummins 6BTA 210's:

RPM's / Knots

800 / 6.0 (Idle)
1200 / 8.0
1800 / 15.5
2100 / 20.2
2300 / 21.6
2400 / 22.5
2700 / 26.5 (WOT)

Note: Knots x 1.15 = MPH

Starboard engine topped out at and maintained 190 degrees, port engine stayed under 185

Props are 20 x 19

buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Bruce, what's the deal with the Steyrs in the Bertram 28? Thanks Buzz
Jack

Cummins

Post by Jack »

I have 4BTA's in my 28 Bahia Mar. Top end about 30 kts, cruise 24-26 kts. Very economical.
unabashed hyena lover
buzzk

Post by buzzk »

Jack, I've been told the 4b's are not smooth at idle, is this true? How do yours run at idle? I like the Cummins, I have a pair of 6bta in my Bertram 33. Thanks Buzz
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Even 6bt's need to be at 650 rpm's and not lower or they start to rumble. Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Buzz,

All 4 cylinder engines in the same class are a bit more noisy than their 6 cylinder counterparts. Easier to balance 6 than 4...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Jack

Post by Jack »

As Patrick said, the 4BTAs are not as smooth as 6's when idling, but their not terrible. I have cushions on the engine boxes that help deaden the sound alot.
unabashed hyena lover