dytec problem

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fred bortolan

dytec problem

Post by fred bortolan »

Help My Dytec temp gauge reads 44 degrees.
It was working fine till I left it on for a few days maybe a week
The water temp is the upper 60's
any ideas
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Take the plug from the ducer off and shoot it with CX first...then shoot CX on the 12v leads and wiggle them. Sounds like either a corrosion fault on the input or low voltage. Had the same happen on one years ago and it was the input cable from the ducer had green crud on the plug and the socket.

UV
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

Thank Vic
goldfish74

Post by goldfish74 »

Fred
We have the exact same problem. Did the advice from UV do the trick? I would love to think that the solution is as simple as that.
Jeff
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

The wire cable broke off at the ducer on my boat.Bought another ducer with the 20 feet or so of cable but the end that goes into the head would not fit at the dashboard. So I was advised here to splice the cable to the old one and it worked.
A/K/A El Gaupo
fred bortolan

Post by fred bortolan »

I tried to clean the plug. but no change in reading
Im going over the side to clean the sender today i dont thats the problem but will give it a try anyway
maybe its time for a new unit
thanks for the imput
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

mAKE SURE THE CABLE DOES NOT HAVE ANY BREAKS OR IS CRUSHED IN ANY WAY
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Yeah, that's good advice from Brewster. Here's how the thing works....the ducer has a thero-sister in it that changes the resistance as the temp changes.....the digital readout just converts the ohms (resistance) into a temp reading. So anything in the circuit that adds resistance is gonna make the reading off. A corroded plug, the ducer cable with a break in the insulation that lets water in, etc.

Since the voltage that the ducer is reading comes from the digital readout, any low voltage there - say due to corroded 12 connections, will afftect the readings. The odds that the digital readout unit is bad are way lower than there is a fault, or partial fault, in the ducer or its cable and connector.

UV
ed c.

Dytec

Post by ed c. »

Vic Roy, thanks for the tip, my son was complaining that he would get 2 diff. readings every 30 sec.. I did what you suggested and it worked.