Craig Mac

EXSPENSIVE RESTO MOD

Post by Craig Mac »

Saw this on Boat Trader----very pricey----nice interior ideas

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1965-be ... nt=4282022
John F.

Re: EXSPENSIVE RESTO MOD

Post by John F. »

Nice ride. It has a Seakeeper. Friend of mine has one in his Valhalla. It makes an incredible difference. Truly incredible. I bet a seakeeper would be great on a 31
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Very nice boat. I'm wondering how heavy the boat is? The seakeeper plus the batteries to operate it must add significant weight.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Is that Toyota logo on top of the Yanmars suggesting the engine is from a land cruiser?

PS for 400k I can easily think of many many better alternatives...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
JeremyD

Post by JeremyD »

The Yanmars are based off the Toyota inline 6 - so that would make sense. But if you are asking 400 large - I would probably buy the more expensive Yanmar valve covers and call it a day...
1977 B31 (315 Cummins) Build thread --->https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-ho ... model.html
2010 Key West Bay Reef | 150 Yamaha
1986 Bertram 28 260 Mercruisers [SOLD]
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Some very nice interior choices.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Interesting ideas on the interior...

Lots of work went into it, the fit and finish look incredible and the design definitely opens up a tight cabin. Now the "but" part, maybe it is just the pictures But I'm not sure the design flows. Maybe I just need to look closer or revisit. I'm not sure my cabin flows either, but I'm not asking 400k for it.

It's kinda nice to see these boats showing value again. A few years ago they were tough sells in gas and diesel, now the gas ones are going for what the diesel was going for. Then again our money isn't what it was and boat inventory is non-existant in some lines.

Things are getting interesting...saw a diesel fuel price of $6.00 a gallon this morning. Granted he's much higher than everyone around here, but where one goes others follow.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

cannot understand for the life of me or perhaps the new generation what ever do people really go to the toilet and have a bowl movement ,wipe there hands on their shirt and go eat finger food ,seriously no sink ,vanity in the bathroom for 400k ??? you have to be kidding me.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Honestly, ---I don't see the need for two sinks in this cabin size----- I can't comment whether they use it or not after using the head....
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico wrote: Apr 29th, '22, 14:40 cannot understand for the life of me or perhaps the new generation what ever do people really go to the toilet and have a bowl movement ,wipe there hands on their shirt and go eat finger food ,seriously no sink ,vanity in the bathroom for 400k ??? you have to be kidding me.
You never used the stall in a bathroom, and opened the door to wash your hands. Many people have water closets in their bathroom and have to walk past the shower to get to the sink. Many people we know have bathrooms bigger then a 31s cabin with a sink way further from the toilet then our galley sink.

It’s smart, one sink. Head as small as necessary. I’m still of the mind to move mine to the vberth. Where we never ever sleep.
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Interesting. A couple weeks ago I had a beer in a brewpub where the three restrooms were lined up side by side and they were toilets only, no hand sinks. A five foot long trough sink with three hand wash stations was located adjacent to the toilets and all were in full view of everyone in the room. At first it as a bit off putting, then I decided it was a good way to ensure everyone washed their hands after doing their business.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

i guess i am a mile apart, i brush my teeth, floss and do the mouth wash thing in morning and wash face and hands in my boat and quite often the privacy of the bathroom to apply cortisone over the cuts and bruises among other "medical" treatments , ridiculous in the kitchen sink so personally i would never own a 31 Bertram with one of those pump up tiny salt water johns and if a toilet in the Vee birth i burn her to the water line !!!! disgusting
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Amberjack wrote: Apr 29th, '22, 17:04 A five foot long trough sink with three hand wash stations was located adjacent to the toilets and all were in full view of everyone in the room.
I should clarify, the bathrooms had doors so plenty of privacy there.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The set up you're describing is common to most restaurants, airports, public toilets in general.

The main difference, however, is that ALL people within the room are of the same gender, ALL are expected to follow a certain procedure (first visit the head, then wash their hands) and third, perhaps the most important, is that where they wash there are no coffee cups and cutlery that people eat with!

So, it is not a matter of distance between the head and the lavatory, rather, the whole procedure is contained within the same room and not spread between a head compartment and a galley. Let alone that business carried out in a bathroom lavatory can be somewhat private...
I certainly wouldn't want to find dental cream residue and shaving foam in a galley sink!
captbone

Post by captbone »

You guys are tough to impress.

Carl

Post by Carl »

Impressed I am…but not so much at 400k
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I prefer to eat my chicken wings while on the toilet so it seems perfect for me
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I’m in the camp of peeing over the gunnel and use the washdown if you make a mess. I have a wife, Mother and two sisters who require a “bathroom” on the boat. They also have a magical ability to hold it until we get back to the dock. And two boys capable of throwing strikes from 90’ but constantly missing the toilet. I’d say we bought the boat in 2011 and are still on the same liquid hand soap we put on the boat originally.

It’s an evil necessity that does nothing more then take up space in the cabin.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I'm in Peter's camp. No pooping on the boat. I don't do overnights and I am usually out when it is warm enough to jump overboard if necessary! Each has their own requirements on this subject!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

ok we agree not to disagree how ever we do agree this is a 100% wine and cheese entertainment boat and never intended for fishing offshore SOOOOO we have a different set of rules ----agreed. we are at a LA. dock entertaining a woman goes to the bathroom (not a head at this point) and says to the owner nice boat you design here i notice no mirror or sink or even a wastepaper basket in the bathroom so she hands you her used Tampex ----here you inconsiderate bastard you need this !!!!!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Well, at least you know at that point she is a real woman! Hard to tell in LA! LOL!

I hear you Bob, if I were spending that kind of change I would want amenities too. I am into the wash and wear boat myself!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

De gustibus e de coloribus non disputandum est...
I personally would dread being handed Bob's friend's parcel...
As for the mirror it has to be made in anything except glass for obvious reasons, mine is from IKEA in some plastic. Not what you'd call full body, but a shave you can do.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Your right Bob, pull the bowl out too! When said person needs to use the facilities, just point to the Cushioned 5 gallon bucket on the deck, which can also double as a wastepaper basket. Problem solved.

It's a 30-foot boat, not the QE-2, compromises need to be made. The guy, and yes it is most likely a guy's design as per your comments Bob...anyway the guy who designed( or had designed) more than likely made sure "his" needs were met. In his case perhaps the lady in his life does not go to the boat. The gent I bought my boat from had it for 12 years, his wife never stepped foot on the boat, nor the one he bought after. A friend's wife will go to the boat at the dock, but will not go out on it. Many in my club would rather go up to the house to use the facilities than deal with the aftermath of using the head...and some boats have pretty nice ones.
When we travel with ours, 90% of the time we use the marina facilities, maybe more.

One could buy in install a sink in that head for cheap and $5.00 for a trash can and mirror at the Dollar Tree along with some liquid soap and a towel. I think now everything is $1.25...so only 4 items.

I think the boat looks great at the price "I'd pay", but my taste gets more discriminating as the price goes up....and "that 400K price is real high in MY opinion. That said, I hope he sells it for what he's asking and the new owner is pleased.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

A similarly sized new CC in the 31 range is at least $500K now. The B31 is a hellva lot more boat.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Raybo Marine NY

I had bought a 20+ year old regulator off one of my customers a few years back, he handed me the brand new toilet that he removed from the console on day 1 so he could stuff more gear in there.
Here was a center console with a toilet which is what everyone wants ( and law kind of says you need ) and he removed it. Had a pump out and everything. People want what they want
some want wine and cheese, some just want to fish, some go fast

i always say when you're the one writing the checks you make the decisions

I'm going to share something with you guys that I had only mentioned to Pete a few months back
A week or 2 after Pete's boat came in I shared with him that I had a dream the night before that I was on Bob's boat and he was showing me around. We were both standing in the head and it was tremendous. Had a full tub and it even had a couch in there. And I would poke my head outside the head door and say "how the hell did you fit all this in here Bob??" So this is kind of spooky to me that this subject is coming up months later

maybe I could dream the lotto numbers next lol
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: May 3rd, '22, 08:00 We were both standing in the head and it was tremendous. Had a full tub and it even had a couch in there. And I would poke my head outside the head door and say "how the hell did you fit all this in here Bob??" So this is kind of spooky to me that this subject is coming up months later

...if anyone could get it done, it would be Bob.

LOL, thanks, that is funny,
Carl

Post by Carl »

Ironworker wrote: May 3rd, '22, 07:51 A similarly sized new CC in the 31 range is at least $500K now. The B31 is a hellva lot more boat.
But that's comparing a "New Boat" to a "57 Year Old Boat". In my case a "60 Year Old Boat"...crazy ! ? ! ?

Me, if I had 500K for a boat, it would look alot different than a 31CC or a 31 Bertram.

I used to go to Boat shows making believe I could have any boat I wanted free and clear. All I'd have to do is pay for fuel, everything else is taken care of. I have to say I do not ever recall leaving a show thinking IF I could I'd take that one. Cabo came close, The Viking Billfish had me thinking, Henriques as well.
Ok, I found a few but the Life Reality of the asking price made me VERY happy with what I have.
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

different strokes for different folks.........

I am going to be damn happy with a porta-pottie for with wife and kids or an emergency #2 plus a raw water wash down pump to wash my hands
Raybo Marine NY

a pack of wet ones wipes have a multitude of purposes
Carl

Post by Carl »

Raybo Marine NY wrote: May 3rd, '22, 10:31 a pack of wet ones wipes have a multitude of purposes

Look at that...I just realized we don't have a LIKE button.

What kind of website is this??? LOL
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

oh by the way Yannis a full length glass mirror mounted to the pocket door in the head .the woman closes the door and gets dressed in the mirror and one beside the sink for make up. and a basket on the Corian counter with hand lotion, makeup wipes, suntan lotion and Tampex ,toothpaste,mouthwash,floss and then you walk out of the head and reach up and pull down the hatch and a SS fully loaded 12 ga. with double o buck right in your hands .everything and anything and still run 30 knots in small craft warnings.redesign the cabin interior to make the cabin 10" wider ,two people can pass in the cabin along side table without touching ---------just think about the whole picture 120 miles offshore overnight and using the boat to entertain at least 8 woman at fire island with my daughter and her friends.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I really don’t enjoy looking at myself go to the bathroom in the mirror, I’m guessing my wife doesn’t either And the last time my wife wore makeup was our wedding day 22 years ago. It sure makes for a much simpler and cost effective boat and life in general. Thankfully we don’t even have make up or a full length mirror in our bathroom at home. Tampax disappear without my knowledge, it’s freaking magical.

I’m starting to think I really hit the lotto here.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Bob, you should seriously start thinking of inventing a Tampax macerator...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote: May 3rd, '22, 20:28 I really don’t enjoy looking at myself go to the bathroom in the mirror, I’m guessing my wife doesn’t either And the last time my wife wore makeup was our wedding day 22 years ago. It sure makes for a much simpler and cost effective boat and life in general. Thankfully we don’t even have make up or a full length mirror in our bathroom at home. Tampax disappear without my knowledge, it’s freaking magical.

I’m starting to think I really hit the lotto here.
Peter

Sounds like our wives are cut from the same mold. Mine has been a good fishing partner and when she was younger, she never had an issue getting under the boat with a paint brush. She gave up the paint brush, but she still helps wax the boat and explain to me what I am doing wrong when I work on the boat and she is supervising.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bob, Your boat is one of the ones I remember well from when I went to the Greenport rendezvous several years ago. It is certainly a beautiful, purpose built boat that suits your family.

On the other end of the spectrum, many, many years ago I was diving on my buddy’s center console out in the GOM. He told the other folks on the boat (all guys) “Y’all might not want to spearfish anywhere near the 60’ horizontal support on the down current leg of the oil rig this dive….I’m going to be down there taking a crap.” Lol.

More than one way to skin a cat. You definitely cover the high end, and it suits your purpose well. Now if you can just find room for that couch…
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

peter the mirror is not in front of toilet it is on the pocket door. the reason for my post should only be con screwed as some of us need a duel purpose 31 Bertram if not the woman don't want tp participate in your hobby. my wife is in a nursing home almost totally paralyze if she could be with for 10 minutes i would buy her a Bertram 510 but that's not happening so i can eliminate all those woman's necessities and go back to fishing only .my point was if you build a wine and cheese boat like this one we are dicussing you must have a real bathroom not a head.we are entertaining in LA. not the back woods of the Ozarks.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

sorry to hear about your wife Bob
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

thank you robbie i go there every day to do what i can to comfort her. i got her a 1st floor window bed so i built a series of iron hangers to put mutable baskets of flowers outside her window and change them seasonal. my only through is her comfort.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
neil

Post by neil »

Your are a good man bob
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bob

You are a saint. You will be rewarded when the time comes.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

Bob,

The love, respect and support you have shown your wife through her illness the last few years, as well as over your lifetime together has always been evident on this board when you speak of her. A testament to the relationship you two share.

As always my thoughts and prayers for you and your wife. As Neil said. You are a good man Bob.
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Carl wrote: May 3rd, '22, 08:57 But that's comparing a "New Boat" to a "57 Year Old Boat". In my case a "60 Year Old Boat"...crazy ! ? ! ?

Me, if I had 500K for a boat, it would look alot different than a 31CC or a 31 Bertram.

I used to go to Boat shows making believe I could have any boat I wanted free and clear. All I'd have to do is pay for fuel, everything else is taken care of. I have to say I do not ever recall leaving a show thinking IF I could I'd take that one. Cabo came close, The Viking Billfish had me thinking, Henriques as well.
Ok, I found a few but the Life Reality of the asking price made me VERY happy with what I have.
Carl,

I've thought a little about your post. I can't speak to the boat in question but I can speak to my boat after its renovated. My boat after its renovated will be far better quality than the day it rolled out of the Bertram factory. Superior in power, quality, structure and lighter weight. It will have more storage, better electronics and comfort, etc.. My boat should easily last another 53 years.

Further, I believe my boat after its renovated with will be a far better boat than any CC under 35' brand new from the factory on the market today.

I will say I've lusted after the 42' and 43' Viking Express boats for years. I found a decent one a couple of years ago and its was just a smidge over $700K with 3500 hours on the engines.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

This isn’t really about head configuration or bowl habits, it’s about how we use our boats. For fishing with guys a bucket is perfectly adequate. For taking the ladies to Fire Island something more comfortable is appropriate. I agree that on an otherwise beautiful restomod priced at $400K a head with no hand sink is just too odd.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

The Fix?