Pod envy

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Amberjack

Pod envy

Post by Amberjack »

Most new boats are equipped with pods rather than traditional shaft drives as our boats are. Talking with the service technician who is helping me with my Hynautics upgrade he reminded me that drive pods are like I/O units in that they have to be pulled and serviced on a regular basis. He has one 6 year old boat in the yard with all four pods dropped for a heavy service which sounds expensive. At the moment the boat is just sitting there waiting for the service parts. He says pods are easy for the boat builder to install because they come complete and you essentially bold them on and the controls are fly by wire. The issues come later.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Yannis

Re: Pod envy

Post by Yannis »

Let alone that as the props face forward, they should be prone to hitting floating debris...that is expensive too!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Almost as easy for builders as outboards.

Expensive to service is one aspect, a dealer over here had two boats on land for several weeks waiting on parts. Maybe it was just a glitch but the parts guy made it seem like it is just tough to get them. With a short season having to sit out for weeks has to suck royally. Boat payments, dockage with no boat to use.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Pods are expensive to service and when something goes wrong with them it really hurts.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

I have a Formula here with them and my head hurts just looking at them, kind of thing that would keep a person up at night

Great for someone who dumps their boat every few years but I cant imagine owning a 20 year old one
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Kind of a toxic mix at work. New boat buyers fall in love with the features--rotating pods, electronic controls, ease of docking and just the general techiness of the thing. They're not thinking years down the road, they're seeing themselves with the wind blowing though their hair and beautiful women admiring as they dock the boat with ease.

Builders like the idea of simplicity, no shafts or rudders to worry about (or if outboard powered, no hull perforations or engine mounts). Controls are increasingly wireless instead of hydraulic or cable and easier to install. And they don't care about years down the road either.

It's all great until it isn't, like the internet. But that's were the market is going.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

In South Florida its hard if not impossible to sell a boat with Pods.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

Ironworker wrote: Mar 16th, '22, 14:48 In South Florida its hard if not impossible to sell a boat with Pods.
That’s a reminder of how huge, diverse (and wonderful) this country is. I’m writing this in the heart of Amazon and Microsoft country.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
ktm_2000

Post by ktm_2000 »

I get the aversion down south to the pods, shallow water and lots of marine growth on very expensive parts which hang out under water all add up to a potentially costly TCO.

Running in deeper colder water could be different
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Until you get into some of those inlets the northern guys talk about!!!!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31