Limber Holes Yes/No w/New Engine Beds

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Limber Holes Yes/No w/New Engine Beds

Post by JohnV8r »

Hey Guys,

Does anyone put new/additional limber holes in their stringers when they build new engine beds per Capt. Patrick's Engine Installation? I know Patrick said he plugged the limber holes with epoxy in his building tips install article. However, my stringers collect water that caused major corrosion in the bolts/nuts. This is what it looked like after I cleaned the sludge that was against the stringers. Note the water still pooled up:

I'm just wondering if an additional limber hole or two would alleviate this water pooling issue moving forward.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Tony Meola

Re: Limber Holes Yes/No w/New Engine Beds

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I believe the Coast Guard does not like limber holes in the engine bed area. Afraid of an oil leak. From what I can make you are talking about the area
that is the outboard stringer and the channel that has the limber hole going through the forward bulkhead.

If it is I have the same issue and you are right it is a pain. Mine comes through the cowling area and I don't think it comes in from the engine hatch, but I may be wrong. The only way of knowing is to lay in there with the engine box's closed and someone shoots water around the box.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

I believe it is like car emissions, "new" boats cannot have limber holes at the engine beds that flow into the bilge. This regulation is to contain oil, fuel, or antifreeze leak in the closed compartment. Limber holes would allow fluids to flow into the bilge where they can be discharged overboard.

Older boats, while I do not think you will be fined for having the holes, I know you are liable for any discharged contaminating fluids.

That said, yes I have water that pools up there too. As it is outside the motor bed you should be able to channel "water" around the contained motor bed if trying to stay within the new regulations.

My water comes in from side panels and deck in a driving rain.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Tony & Carl,

Yes, you are correct. Shambala has one limber hole at the aft end of the engine bed and that round flow through piece in the forward bulkhead that takes water from the forward compartment that is caught above the outboard stringer into the engine compartment. The problem is while she is at rest a small amount of dew/water that runs off over night, water from washing, and anything else flows through, collects on that outboard stringer, and just sits. Worse, when there is dirt mixed in - which is always - it creates a sludgy mess that requires me to go in and blow it out with a hose periodically. I want to minimize the amount of splashed dirt and water in the engine compartment by having that flow out as much as possible.

Honestly, there are so many regulations on my bilge at this point I'm surprised I'm not required to wear an adult diaper for fear I might leak something into the bilge... I'm berthed in the SF Bay. I am required to have an oil collecting tampon in my bilge already to ensure I am preventing any oil from being expelled from my bilge. It's more likely that I am going to expel oil from having to clean that pooled area with soap and water that will get pumped out of my bilge while I'm washing the sludge out than if it runs out slowly and allows the oil tampon to collect the oil.

Here's what I think I am going to do. I have some left over 2" Vernatube. I am going to cut that in half so I have a 2" long by 1" tall limber hole and glass that through the stringers and the new Coosa sisters I am laminating up in two additional places. I think from a structural standpoint the additional width of the stringer should overcome any structural loss from taking out a total of 4" cubic inches of stringer.

Thanks,

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Carl

Post by Carl »

That would do it John...the other option is to repitch the outer section so water flows to the back. I'm thinking big fillet with lots of filler for a quick buildup. Then paint over with Bilgecoat or similar.

I know this was supposed to answer your question...but think I answered what I think I may do with my outboard stringer to prevent the same. Kinda later for me to glass in a channel...and then I have to deal with it clogging...they always clog.
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Put in the limber holes. Line the holes with PCV pipe so nothing rots. leave the PVC a little long on the bilge side and put a fitting on it so you can install a pipe plug if necessary.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Nice Rawleigh. I like that idea.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I believe Tony's idea is more effective, because it seems that the water doesn't pool in one particular spot so there's no "deepest point" where the tube should be placed; instead a longitudinal addition of some material - glass or other filler - should elevate the whole area and won't allow water to remain stagnant along the stringer.

I have the same exact issue and, what's worse in my case, water seeps right through the limber hole which is exactly under the main bulkhead and lets it go through into the cabin bilge and as a result all the way to the deepest point of the boat which is in the galley area. A real pain to rinse the deck and find all that water under the v berth...
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote: Feb 18th, '22, 01:04
I have the same exact issue and, what's worse in my case, water seeps right through the limber hole which is exactly under the main bulkhead and lets it go through into the cabin bilge and as a result all the way to the deepest point of the boat which is in the galley area. A real pain to rinse the deck and find all that water under the v berth...

At least you don't fish Yanni, otherwise, you might find that area filled with fish blood n guts washed from the deck. It makes for a lovely scent on hot n humid days. Of course not that I would know.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Haha, great!

First, because your Greek friend explained to you that in Greek (as in Russian and other languages too) first names, family names etc are all inclinable?? which makes you remove the S from the end when you address yourself to me.
Don't relax as of yet, other names, that belong to other grammatical groups don't just drop the S, they change completely the last syllable, but that’s in Greek 211.

Second, because as I was writing how fed up I was with the water coming all the way to my bed bilge, in the back of my mind I was thinking of all those fish guts that I don't have to clean or smell because there is never a fish onboard...

You nailed them both, Carl!!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"