Antifreeze Shortage?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

John F.

Antifreeze Shortage?

Post by John F. »

I was talking to a friend/OB mechanic today, and he told me that he was having a hard time getting shrink wrap and antifreeze in bulk. I went to my local West Marine, and they told me that they only got 10 pallets of antifreeze in, had sold 5 already, and weren't going to get anymore in this year.

I grabbed a couple cases (1 per motor) for Crows Nest. If you're going to need it anyway, you may want to get it now. Just a thought

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
Tony Meola

Re: Antifreeze Shortage?

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I was at the West Marine in Brick Town two weeks ago and they had a ton of it. I did not ask how many pallets they had but I had heard a rumor that all antifreeze was getting limited in supply.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Apparently the severe freeze they had this past winter shut down plants across Texas for one. The other issue is makers of anti freeze are being caught up in environmental issues and looking to make more friendly coolant and of course C19 is being blamed also.
Welcome to the latest shortage of manufactured goods in the US along with soaring prices.

BTW, anybody remember the last shortage of antifreeze? 1988
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Not sure if this is a supply chain issue or just normal business. Since I keep my boat in the water all winter I need to keep some in the bilge so I buy two cases sometime in October to last the winter. I’ve learned all marine supply stores locally order a shipment and don’t restock and you won’t find any in stores in December or January. It’s been that way for years.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Last year one manufacturer of non tox recalled a lot of their product because it wasn’t effective

This year another is out of the raw material to produce anymore of it

Every year they produce this stuff in batches. The local store can order all they want but once that warehouse is empty that’s it for that. This also happens with shrink wrap.

This happens with rub rail, and all kinds of items. I know it happens with certain tires Mickey Thompson and Michelin produce certain tires once a year so when they are out of that size , they’re out

Also this year’s wholesale prices for wrap and non tox is pretty much at last years retail level

We could talk all day about the high cost of goods over the last year or even 10 months , wait till you have to heat your home this winter
John F.

Post by John F. »

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. My only point was that my local West Marine told me that they got a real lot less antifreeze in for this year than they have in the past, and that they weren’t getting any more this season. So, get it while you can.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J