Boat sinks in White Marlin Open!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JimmyG

Boat sinks in White Marlin Open!

Post by JimmyG »

The Dream Catcher a 60' Paul Mann sunk today in OC WMO they are docked across from me in Cape May and almost sunk last year in the Midatlantic 500 with some kind of delamination problem. This boat is one of the top White marlin boats around, he runs it hard 40+ knots not shore what happened yet (I do know everyone is all right) but i'll let you guys know.
http://www.paulmanncustomboats.com/
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Last time that happened in OC was an Ocean Yacht back in the 80's wasn't it?
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ed c.

Boat sinks

Post by ed c. »

Jimmy, they had many more problems than what came out at MA500.
JK

Post by JK »

Here is the video from the helo. Scary stuff.

http://www.sportfishermen.com/movies...folder&mID=311

--JK
TailhookTom

Very

Post by TailhookTom »

I just looked at the video and the one from the TV station was incredible. Taken from one of the sportboats that did the rescue. Seas looked flat calm. You've got to wonder about these 40kt one off sportboats.

One of the Carolina sportboats I crewed on tore a hole in her bottom 18 inches long by 6 inches wide the very first day the owner took her to sea. Also flat calm day. What happend? Too much horsepower and torque -- the frames rolled and she literally tore herself open.

Same thing happend a few years back -- same builder - 60ft custom Carolina -- with 1600 horsepower detroits -- Captain trottled up and the aft bulkhead twisted and snapped and tore the boat apart.

Tom
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Most of what you see in hull failure today is the result of chasing the speed demon.

Light weight hulls coupled with high output engines running thru water that's as hard a concrete when torpedoing a wave.
Or the stress factor that has been stated already ripping the seams open.

I've turned down some pretty lucrative repowers including one for Brian France Jr. where high hp motors were requested in light weight boats.

I'd have to hire a lawyer full time to keep what little I got.

I also don't feel sorry one bit for the loss of property. Because I know someone, somewhere along the line said it wasn't a good idea.

Unfortunatly sometimes it also injures or kills.
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

I saw the boat come limping in last year at the MA500. When he turned to enter the lift basin she almost rolled. It had a long tear down the port side. They claimed they hit something. I claim all she hit was water. There was no sign of contact with a foreign object. Oh maybe she broke up after hitting an ocean sunfish. Yea that's story and I am sticking to it.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Power is good. Too much power kills. Many don't seem to realize the stress it can put on a hull. A while back, I was helping a friend who had an Ocean. I was working in the bow bunk area and could actually see the shapes of people walking outside. Scared the hell out of me. Hopefully, Ocean used lots of Kevlar, but the boat had a long bow. All I could think of was the stresses on it in a rough sea. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Hopefully, Ocean used lots of Kevlar
Only if Teddy "the swimmer" was trying to teach MJ how to swim,
Hillary looks good in a bikini, Jesse Jackson and David Duke are lovers, and the civil war was really about slavery.

The last trip I took with Pat to Mexico was on an Ocean.
I kept hearing a creakin noise getting louder. I pulled back the carpet in the fwd salon/galley area and saw how the fwd engine room bulhead was delaminating from the rest of the boat.
JimmyG

Post by JimmyG »

The boat was towed in to Cape May today and is afoat as of a couple hours ago.
ed c.

Dreamcatcher

Post by ed c. »

Jimmy "G", after spending 55 years on the water i thought i knew a lot, however this morning fishing with my buddy Forrest Gump, he informs me that going at 30knots at 5 in the morning ( darkness for you folks in Riveria Beach ) is not real smart, because he & I know that at that speed during daylight hours you must be totally alert. He also said something real deep " Stupid is as stupid does" Enough said.