mercury diesels a 31

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

BurnsLiberty

mercury diesels a 31

Post by BurnsLiberty »

Anyone have experience with the new mercury diesels. I have a 1982 with original 504 Cummins 1.5-1 gear 18x24 wheels. 195 hp at 3000. The mercs are 260 at 4200. Half the weight.
Tony Meola

Re: mercury diesels a 31

Post by Tony Meola »

I believe they are actually built by Cummins for Mercury. I would just go Cummins. Basic parts will be cheaper because they are sold at most Cummins dealers who sell truck parts.

Check out Cummins dealers close to you. I bet you will find more truck dealers than Mercury. I can buy all my filters from the local truck parts shop 15 minutes from my house.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
captbone

Post by captbone »

The current production Mercury Diesels are made by VW and VM (Fiat).

The reman Cummins are a better choice as these new diesel are high reving and complex compared to the B series Cummins.
Carl

Post by Carl »

captbone wrote:The current production Mercury Diesels are made by VW and VM (Fiat).

The reman Cummins are a better choice as these new diesel are high reving and complex compared to the B series Cummins.

There are a variety of thoughts on the slow churning heavy diesels compared to the high revving lighter aluminum block diesels.

In a car or light truck I can see the benefit of a lighter motor, higher rpm also comes in handy with multiple gear choices. A bit more torque then gas, better mileage.
I say a bit more as they seem to really go bare minimum on the road, pulling every drop of power they can from them.

Could also be good in a smaller boat where weight is a huge factor and owners want like gas performance.

For me...one big advantage I always like about diesel was the simplicity, brute strength as it just chugging along.
While I like the Yanmars and Steyr type high revving motors...I just feel they are kind of a crossover.
Then going from mechanical to electronic...guess they all are doing that now...but again, it brings it further away from my notion of Diesel.

Neither here nor there...

But definitely check out part and service cost for the Mercs and compare.
I know mercury has a big network...but how good are their guys on their Diesels and how many dealerships will be stocking parts and to what extent.
Makes a big difference. Some years ago customer/guy from marina bought a boat with Mercury racing outboards...their tech knew diddly about them.
Went from a Tune up to a mess till a local guy who knew the motors came down and got it all running like it should.

All motors will have some need for parts...when you can't get what you need to get running,