step to replace fly bridge latter

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ford351c594

step to replace fly bridge latter

Post by ford351c594 »

So I am back from yet another surgery and I have had the new fuel tank made, the floors over the engine raised 3 inches so I can now close the covers and I am thinking about getting rid of the latter and just installing the step on the side? Anyone still make that or made one on their own? Pictures of it maybe?

Thanks,

Ryan

I'll try to send of pictures of it all soon. Also on coat 6 of awl-wood clear on the swim deck. Need to do a light sanding to smooth a few bad spots out and do one or two more coats.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Priceless

Re: step to replace fly bridge latter

Post by Priceless »

The https://imgur.com/gallery/c6SlNxq

The first is off Double Bogie-beautiful

The ones on Priceless are in case I fall over when fishing alone. Always wear heads up inflatable but won’t help if I can’t get back in the boat. Found them on the Carolina boats. Omie Tillet’s Fightin Lady out of Oregon Inlet with captain Sam Stokes. That’s how they get up to the bridge.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE ONE CAN GET THOSE FLY BRIDGE SIDE STEPS?
Dug

Post by Dug »

John,

I suspect they were an option from the factory, as some boats have them and some don’t.

I have never seen them available unless someone is ridding themselves of a set...

Dug
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Actually the bridge step were put on pre 1970 31's. Never saw them after that.

I would see if Danny ar High Tide have any knock offs.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

If you have the opportunity, can you please measure for me the height between the engine cover to the rim of the flybridge, where the ladder is normally positioned?
I want to see how much taller the 28 is, that it needs 4 steps up instead of 3 for the 31.
Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Fishin Tom
Location: Stuart, Florida and Holtz Boatworks, Southern New Jersey

Post by Fishin Tom »

In the off season, If someone has a set of side wing steps they could be recast in bronze and chromed in Baltimore area.

Tom Oakes
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I have a set in a box I recently found on eBay. Took me years to find a set. They will be going on the boat this Fall.

If someone wants to have them copied and cast in bronze, I'm open to the idea. But I'm not looking to sell them.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I’m personally not interested, simply because I dont have a 31.

However, if anyone is going to make a cast which costs money, it would be a very good idea to pool all people interested and do it once for everyone, even maybe a few more, which will be sold for a revenue to the site.
Something like the 31 half mold you have done in the past.
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

I am interested in any option...Old set to be rechromed or would be interested in recast if others care...Thanks for all the replys...John
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Tony,

If you have the opportunity, can you please measure for me the height between the engine cover to the rim of the flybridge, where the ladder is normally positioned?
I want to see how much taller the 28 is, that it needs 4 steps up instead of 3 for the 31.
Thanks.
Yannis

If it does not rain this weekend I will measure it up.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thanks Tony.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

on the bridge in a few seconds and always have your hand on something to hold on to either Gin pole, rod holders on the back of seating, double rail of the radar arch maximum safety in the high seas and i am 71 yo. the OEM ladder is a foolish way to get on the bridge. on the run nothing to hold on to.
Last edited by bob lico on May 16th, '18, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

left foot on the engine hatch,right foot on gin pole platform and left foot on the bridge with right hand on gin pole and left hand on rod holder bracket
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nice pic Bob...nice people and nice deck stories...

One thing; how do you follow this climbing procedure if you’re holding a beer, oh wait, with two beers..!
Cos with the ladder, at least you can bring some cans up the bridge...while holding on the ladder rails.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the same procedure beers in left hand and place on the floor of the bridge then climb and pick up beer on the way to seat. i do it all the time . BTW this is the Captain`s last rendezvous.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You just gave me a great idea!
I will put a double glass/can holder on the bridge floor, by the ladder; up to now I was carrying the drinks all the way up and they were spilling all over me, with beer it's almost OK, but with ouzo you stink of it until the next port.
Did the Captain have a Texan accent?
Preston Burrows

Post by Preston Burrows »

By the way I believe Perko still make steps, single wide,double wide and a single folding version.
Preston Burrows
1976 B28 FBC
BERF1398M76J-285
Ric

Post by Ric »

If you change out your ladder for something else
Can i buy your ladder
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Ric, great to see your post and hear from you; I was beginning to think you were hiding out some where in a federal witness-protection program. Welcome back.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

better photo of double rail on radar arch used as a grab handle when climbing into the bridge.

capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Tony,

Thanks.
Yannis

33.5 inches or for you 85.09 Centimeters from the top of the engine cover to the edge of the brow on the fly bridge.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I have seen Bob's set up. It is a pretty cool idea, but I would need to try it out a couple of times to be sure I would be comfortable with it. I have gotten so use to coming down the ladder from the bridge it is second nature for me.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony, thank you very much.
Ill now have to go measure mine as a comparison.
I doubt, however, that one could climb up the 28 in two strokes, as Bob suggests.

PS: Tony, a quick tip for when you measure in cm.
Like I had explained in another post, the cm scale is ALREADY quite precise as it is, and unless youre measuring something very very small, you dont care about anything less than a milimeter. There is no mm denomination meaningful or useful enough, unless youre an operating doctor looking for a stitch diameter, or work at Nasa.

In other words, for this 85.09 cm measurement, we would simply say 85.1 or yet better just 85cm ! We might say 85.5 if it were somewhere between 85 and 86 and thats about as precise as we would get.
A denomination of a milimeter is simply something nobody cares about UNLESS youre discussing say, valve tolerances, or a drill tips diameter or an insects antena measurement.

Another thing that I hear on US media, is when some people would measure in milimeters all the way, thinking that by doing so they are more precise, like they would say 1210 milimeters.
It is correct to use milimeters as a precision parameter AFTER the larger denominations of meters and/or centimeters, so we would simply say “one twenty one” , meaning one meter and 21 cm (without saying the word meter or centimeter at all).
To say 1210 milimetrs is correct alright, gives the impression that its more precise than “one twenty one “ but it just isnt, and it gives away the ...nationality of the speaker!
I will host the “Metric 201” class, in another episode !!
Thanks again.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis wrote:Tony, thank you very much.
Ill now have to go measure mine as a comparison.
I doubt, however, that one could climb up the 28 in two strokes, as Bob suggests.

PS: Tony, a quick tip for when you measure in cm.
Like I had explained in another post, the cm scale is ALREADY quite precise as it is, and unless youre measuring something very very small, you dont care about anything less than a milimeter. There is no mm denomination meaningful or useful enough, unless youre an operating doctor looking for a stitch diameter, or work at Nasa.

In other words, for this 85.09 cm measurement, we would simply say 85.1 or yet better just 85cm ! We might say 85.5 if it were somewhere between 85 and 86 and thats about as precise as we would get.
A denomination of a milimeter is simply something nobody cares about UNLESS youre discussing say, valve tolerances, or a drill tips diameter or an insects antena measurement.

Another thing that I hear on US media, is when some people would measure in milimeters all the way, thinking that by doing so they are more precise, like they would say 1210 milimeters.
It is correct to use milimeters as a precision parameter AFTER the larger denominations of meters and/or centimeters, so we would simply say “one twenty one” , meaning one meter and 21 cm (without saying the word meter or centimeter at all).
To say 1210 milimetrs is correct alright, gives the impression that its more precise than “one twenty one “ but it just isnt, and it gives away the ...nationality of the speaker!
I will host the “Metric 201” class, in another episode !!
Thanks again.
"Oy vey"
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

I just measured the 28 height. It is 1.25m (or 4.1ft) from engine cover to fb top surface.
From very difficult to impossible to get rid of the ladder. You need 3 steps and there is nowhere to hang them from...the lowest one, for your left foot, assuming a ladder at port, you can stick on the sidewall, but then you also have a right leg! Unless someone has two left legs LOL.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I knew it was a big difference, just did not know how much. The 31 has a much lower profile.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Perhaps, but not all that lower.The difference derives mainly from the much taller engine boxes.