Repower consensus?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

Repower consensus?

Post by Rickysa »

back in '00 when I repowered, there was a debate among folks about Cummins/Yanmar and the occasional Volvo/Detroit. Cummins seemed to come out on top at the time, but now I'm looking at current boats repowered years ago and wondering if the conventional wisdom at the time has proven true?
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Repower consensus?

Post by Bruce »

Hey Ricky, long time.

Any used engine(s) it's important to have a log book on repairs and maintenence schedules from the owner otherwise consider anything said fiction.

As far as name brand I've used just about every name brand and mutt in repowers. No one stood out as a complete failure.

For a great ride but not a speed demon, 3208 cats were good but must keep up with rust issues.

Cummins 250 is an almost perfect engine for the 31.

For a 4 cylinder it's the yanmar 4lha 230.

Yanmar 6lp engines were good with good performance but need a little more tech prowess to maintain than a cummins.
The 6lp is also more prone to damage if not maintained properly or ignored than a cummins due to more to more dissimilar metals. Zincs are important.

Dealers are only as good as their techs and back when I was in it most of the techs I met at various dealer meetings were idiots and I'm sure that's gotten worse due to old geezers like myself retiring or changing careers. This went for all brands.

Bob may reply and say everything sucks but Cummins.

Documented maintenence schedules are important for any engine (s).
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

I'm going to just ask a crazy question on this subject.... anyone ever run international 7.3 marine engines.... I didn't know they existed till I saw a pair for sale on craigslist the other day...... being a ford guy the thought of having 7.3's in my boat sound ungodly reliable.... but what works in a truck doesn't always cross over to the water.........
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
scot

Post by scot »

Cummins 250 is an almost perfect engine for the 31.
dilly dilly.

I rode in Capt DQ's a few years back in Fla. Pair of Cummins 250's and the boat was perfect. Brick simple, no raw water after cooler to maintain and plenty of power. Cruising at 25 while sipping fuel. Very nice indeed.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

I am running the 270 cummins which are basically the same engine as the 250. Could not be happier. Good pair up. If you need more speed look for the 315/330 but more maintenance.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

ford351c594 wrote:I'm going to just ask a crazy question on this subject.... anyone ever run international 7.3 marine engines.... I didn't know they existed till I saw a pair for sale on craigslist the other day...... being a ford guy the thought of having 7.3's in my boat sound ungodly reliable.... but what works in a truck doesn't always cross over to the water.........
Yes I saw them and worked on them under a few different marinizers. Not a viable alternative. There was a lawsuit out in california years back where the cali emissions board paid commercial boaters to get rid of their old belching diesels but they had to buy the 7.3 under the deal. They started failing and the board got sued by the boaters.

Your last statement rings true on so many levels from automotive to marine.
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

do you remember the specific types of failures? Major or electrical/ heui system?
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Don't remember specifics, too many years under the bridge on the law suit.

I'm thinking it was excessive back pressure causing exhaust valves to float and hit pistons. But can't be sure.