Perkins 5.9 twin turbo, anyone familar?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Carl

Perkins 5.9 twin turbo, anyone familar?

Post by Carl »

Have a line on a pair of new 05 motors...price is doable.
I'd need bell housing and trans.

275 hp, supposed to be same size as the 6Bt so should fit in 31.

I'm not familiar with the motors so figured I'd start my homework here.
Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: Perkins 5.9 twin turbo, anyone familar?

Post by Bruce »

I used one on a repower in 07 in a trawler. It ran good, always had good service with perkins. Parts sometimes were an issue.

Not sure if those were what Brewster had in his boat before the 6lp repower and sold them to Russ P for his 31.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I would check to see how close a Perkins dealer is or who is a good Diesel mechanic that will work on them and can get parts.

Parts will become important.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I hope they work out for you Carl. I know a couple guys with old Perkins, not in a 31 and they have lasted years with good service.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

Found two parts places around here for Perkins...one's knowledgeable dealer according to an old sandbox member I spoke with on Sunday. Turns out he was also a club member too so I was able to dig up his number, its a small world. Great gent to speak with, he loved the Perkins in his 31 the "Cheetah" and racked up alot of hours on them before he sold boat. It was looking promising...

Funny how marine motors just needing a bell housing and trans became more like a bell housing, trans, motor mounts, heat exchangers, coolers etc etc as motors..well turn out they are not exactly marinized and not so much in the crates anymore...

Back to the drawing board.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Keep looking!!!!
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Does it matter the brand? The diesel shop that did my re-power is always digging up running Cummins that he flips after checking them out.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Does it matter the brand? The diesel shop that did my re-power is always digging up running Cummins that he flips after checking them out.
Yes the brand matters, to a degree. Cummins are my 1st choice and the asking prices reflects that, even on running take outs. But I'd consider many of the good mainstream marine motors.

Still a bit early for me in the $$ gathering process to start bothering dealers and shops. The 440's while old are still running good...a bit more blow-by then I'd like, burn a bit more oil then I'd like, but still quite reliable. I just have a few friendly feelers keeping me in mind. Sometimes the right deal at the right time just presents itself.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Going to be a cold winter, pull them and rebuild them. You could probably have both done in a couple weeks. You just need room in the shop to do it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony-
You had me thinking on that for awhile.

If a motor went south, I'd pull and get it going again. I have one spare rebuilt left in the shop, dad used the other one years ago. At this point that motor would have to come part and cleaned at the very least...years of being used as a makeshift table.
If it was the other side...guess I'd have rebuilt and use the spare for fresh motors.
I do not have the room in the shop to do myself, plus I am only familiar with motors. I lack the experience and expertise to do myself...making for a very long rebuild. To have done for me...I hear nothing but problems from others that have gone that route.

Right now motors run good, heads were rebuilt before I knew issue was ethanol...just the lower end has seen...well I bought boat with 1200 hours on the motors before meter died, I have boat 22 years, figure 10-15 of those I was really using before kids and ethanol at 100-150 hours a season. I skip the math and just say lots of hours on gas motors, the end has to be somewhat near.

So...it's refresh what I have, replace with newer/new gas motors or convert to diesel.
When I only had an hour or two to go fishing each week...local trips were fine. Now I have a day here and there and find myself running 5-10 miles to fishing grounds more often. I have that urge to go sharking or catch some footballs
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Done right rebuilding an engine is fine. Too bad you don't have any young kids hanging around that like to work on engines. Would be good for you and them if they worked on it for you.

When I was younger I worked for my father who was a mechanic, and helped him put some engines together. Mostly because in the early days, he and his buddies dabbled in boats they should have walked away from.

I remember rebuilding a 6 cylinder flat head that had a warped head. Had the the head milled then doubled up the head gasket. Was in a old wooden 18 ft Chris Craft. Dam thing scooted after we were done with it.

The other was in an old Zoebel Sea Fox.

Then he finally gave in and purchased the Bertram in 1975.

To tell you the truth, I wish I paid more attention to my Dad when he rebuilt those engines.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony-
I agree whole heartedly that a good rebuild is more then fine.

My boat was my dads friends boat for years...he wore out the motors around the same time my dad wore out his.
All 4 motors were pulled and given to a friend/customer that did engine rebuilds.

Other then having a problem with installing the rear main rope seal, all the motors racked up a ton of hours.
My dad only got rid of his as he had a fiberglass tank in his boat too and started seeing ethanol problems...around the same time he stepped into a deal and a half on a pair Steyr Diesels.

The only guy/kid I have had work for me that likes to dabble on motors...well lets say he has a tendency of turning pretty good running cars into cars towed to the junk yard.

Me...unless I have to...I'd rather save my time, favors and money and put towards a conversion. If motors develop a hiccup before then, I'll deal with it. They run well...just lots of hours and showing their age more each season.
1962 31

Post by 1962 31 »

i have a pair of rto long block cummins 250 6bta they need parts to be complete but if your interested in building up the set I would let em go
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

A perfect engine for the 31.

Carl, Tom may have a deal you can not refuse.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

Guys my name is JR Moro. I have a 1969 31' & dock in Monmouth Beach, NJ. I would be interested in talking to you about the Cummin's as a back up to Carl of course. I am not looking to cause any problems on my first post.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

JR welcome.

Asking on this site is always welcome. We are all pretty good about following first come first serve here and as you will see over time, we all ask the same question if something comes up we need.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
jrmoro

Post by jrmoro »

Thank you Tony. I have been viewing the site for the last year. Their is a lot of great information & people with a ton of knowledge. I believe I have seen that you are out of Forked River & have Cummins? Did you have the repower completed in NJ? Were you happy with who did it & are they still around? I am looking to take the plunge by next winter.
Carl

Post by Carl »

jrmoro wrote:Guys my name is JR Moro. I have a 1969 31' & dock in Monmouth Beach, NJ. I would be interested in talking to you about the Cummin's as a back up to Carl of course. I am not looking to cause any problems on my first post.

Sorry JR Moro, I should have posted that I was in touch with Tom and had to pass on his Cummin's long blocks.

Send Tom a PM and go for it!

Thank you for asking...

and welcome to the forum, best of luck to you.

Carl
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

jrmoro wrote:Thank you Tony. I have been viewing the site for the last year. Their is a lot of great information & people with a ton of knowledge. I believe I have seen that you are out of Forked River & have Cummins? Did you have the repower completed in NJ? Were you happy with who did it & are they still around? I am looking to take the plunge by next winter.
JR

I used Forked River Diesel and Generator. I sent Jimmy G to him also.

Yes I was happy. John Lane is the owner. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys I know when it comes to this stuff.

Where are you in NJ?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315