Hauling a 1961 B31 sport fisherman and stability at anchor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

fighterpilot

Hauling a 1961 B31 sport fisherman and stability at anchor

Post by fighterpilot »

Can this boat be hauled over land without removing the fly bridge. Parker and McKnew list clearance as 11 feet and than add 3 foot draft and plus a foot road clearance and we are at 15 feet. If the numbers are in the ball park it looks like flybridge removal time. Would that be a big deal. Is it molded toe the cabin roof or is it fastened with screws? Did the upper helm wiring have quick disconnects? Also how is the stability at anchor at a dock. Assume there will be some motion with passing boats or small wind/wave action, but what is the frequency, that is slow rocking or ???. When you step down on it from the dock does it rock a lot? Fast rock? Slow rock? I'm searching for that type boat but have ruled out the deep Vs since we fish at anchor when seas 2 feet or less, (In the Gulf off Pensacola). My reasoning assumed the deep V boats would move about even with the 2 foot or less wave action. I have posted in my area to see if there is a 31 around so I could at least step down upon it before I travel a thousand miles to look at one. From what I have read the boat has a great reputation, even from Pascoe the surveyor. Thanks
Dug

Re: Hauling a 1961 B31 sport fisherman and stability at anch

Post by Dug »

Howdy Fighter!

You are right, its about 15'. They can be hauled, but no hard top, radar arch, etc. Flybridge does not need to come off.
They are best in a following sea. No one ever claimed that they do not rock. In fact they do what is called a snap roll. Meaning they go over, and when they come back, whap! They come back. Unless you install a seakeeper and one of our brethren in FL can tell you all about that. Best money he ever spent he says. Russ! Chime in if you wish!
If you are doing most of your time at anchor, you may be better served with a flat bottom boat, but you will sacrifice ride quality while under way. If you are in FL, you will be able to find a few. Did I read you correctly you are in the Gulf off of Pensacola? There should be B31's in the area you can see. For sale or not. Point is, you should be able to get a ride and make a solid assessment. We love them of course, but its what we want!

Good luck,

Dug
Carl

Post by Carl »

I am fairly certain many a 31 have been transported over land. But will allow others to say for sure what the height and width issues were.

31 Bertram has a V and does rock.
At dock amoung other boats she be the one moving when others are not.

But it's a little motion, not a big deal and boat is very stable getting on and off dockside. I think that's due to the chines.

At anchor or on a mooring the boat is quite comfortable if she heads into waves, even on the quarter it's not bad.

Now drifting is a different story...
Drifting beam to in tight 2's & 3's is a good way to see what is secured well in place, it will be the stuff not on the floor.

I found tossing a sea anchor off the bow usually keep us pointed into sea enough to be comfortable...just gotta remember it's there.

Moving and trolling in seas is not bad...till you get a big one on the line and stop to fight'em. You won't notice the rock till fish is in the boat...
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Yes, we have trucked 31s from Lake Michigan to NC, and from NC to S Florida and back many times.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As others have said, you do not need to remove the bridge to haul them.

At anchor and on a sea anchor in a storm she is pretty comfortable. We do a lot of drift fishing and I find that you get that harmonic snap roll about every 7th wave in a 3 foot sea. Unless the Miss Barnegat light decides to steam past us at 25 knots and about 100 feet away. Then all bets are off.

Running in a beam sea is fine. In fact while a wet ride I have come home 100 miles from offshore with 5 footers on the beam no problem. She well bang when she comes down from time to time on the chine.

I can say one thing, I have never had doubts we were going to make it home even in 8 to 10. Not fun and running slow but you have to do what you have to do.

Now if you want to rock and roll get a 28. Ride is totally different and she rolls.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

I think the only thing you would have to remove is the wind deflector on the bridge
1968 hull # 316 - 757
fighterpilot

Post by fighterpilot »

Good information. Sounds like I need to find one and at least step down into it. We are pretty well calibrated as to acceptability as we do that as far as stability at anchor is concerned. The frequency of the motion is a critical factor for us. My daughter is concerned about that. We have had a Chris Craft 31, Aquasport tournament master, 2750 Hydra sport which is a deep v, and a 34 foot California LRC all of which were acceptable. But a 37 mariner, a 34 silverton, and a smaller Bertram all failed the test when we went to look at them. Unless the deep V boat has some chime it probably isn't going to work for us. Thanks for the replies. FP
fighterpilot

Post by fighterpilot »

From what I have read on this forum and others I have decided to pass on this model boat. Think my initial approach in searching for a boat and eliminating the Deep Vs was probably best. Need more stability and a dryer boat. So will close out this discussion and I thank you for all of your input.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

fighterpilot wrote:From what I have read on this forum and others I have decided to pass on this model boat. Think my initial approach in searching for a boat and eliminating the Deep Vs was probably best. Need more stability and a dryer boat. So will close out this discussion and I thank you for all of your input.
You really should ride in one just to satisfy you curiosity.

Just rember no matter what you purchase you are always welcome to ask questions of everyone here.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
fighterpilot

Post by fighterpilot »

Appreciate the offer to seek advice, regardless of model. Thanks
Carl

Post by Carl »

Boats are always a compromise in some form or another.

Think many of us here have been on many a different style boats and familiar with a ton of others...while we may be biased towards the "best Boat Ever built" I can guarantee you'll get good insight and honest answers to any boat you may ask about. Then again, sounds like you have experienced quite an array of boats yourself.

Good luck in your search.

Carl
fighterpilot

Post by fighterpilot »

This is a fine forum. Informative, yet unbiased. To learn more about a boat I usually join their forum and find that most helpful. i want to say, however that this forum is the best one yet for straight answers, which is most appreciated. And, I agree, the 31 is a great boat. If our fishing requirements were like those on the East Coast than I would still be aboard with a 31, but the quieter Gull, out of Pensacola, Fl isn't as challenging. But I do need an air conditioned lower helm. Plus we want to fish the bays, take in the Blue Angle air show, local fireworks shows, Bands on the Blackwater River during the summer, and just do boating with my 18 plus extended family with 8 great-grand-kids. My boat search length does go up to 40 feet. Requiring Cummins engines and my 60K budget does make the search difficult. Thanks, again.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Only asset a 31 would have for you is the huge cockpit for her size.
Not the ideal backwaters boat...
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

RLDT’s. Just ask Timmy
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Terry Frank wrote:RLDT’s. Just ask Timmy

For those new comers. RLDT is short for Rolling Little Death Trap. This is only used by our resident and every so often visitor and Hatteras lover Timmy aka Thudd.

He is also known as THUDD since that is the sound that he makes when he hits the floor after having one too many.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Seapalm

Post by Seapalm »

Fighter Pilot,
I'm just North of Elgin AFB and I just hauled my B31 from Orange Beach AL to my farm on a 3axle trailer. My fly bridge was just a fraction under 14' on the trailer. I set the trailer up as close a possible to the outside of the shafts and struts which lowered the hull as low as possible to keep my height under 13' 6", the trailer makes all the difference, and it hauls beautifully. I wish I knew how to post a picture on this site. I pulled it with my 2016 2500 HD Duramax not knowing it was back there except for stopping... the trailer braked well but planning the stops sure helped!

I removed the hardtop and placed it in the cockpit but the Bridge stayed in place. For legal purposes and the DOT, 13' 6" is the magic number, and get a permit. Then you can drive while focusing on your beautiful boat and not worry about every law enforcement vehicle who passes you admiring your boat...

Feel free to PM me, your are welcome to come see the boat. It is going into a complete restoration this Winter. I'm dropping Diesels into a Bertram 26 right now in preparation for chasing Yellowfin from Destin, and trailering to Louisiana to the Oil Rigs! Can't wait!
"Some of its Magic, some of its Tragic", Jimmy Buffet
Bertram 35 "SeaDuction”
Bertram 31 Project
Bertram 25 Project
Bertram 20 Baron Project
Florida Panhandle