Bottom Paint question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ford351c594

Bottom Paint question

Post by ford351c594 »

So im looking for something like VC performance in black. Epoxy Teflon combo hard, doesn't need any anti fouling capabilities. Any one have any ideas? Has to be trailerable. I thought they made VC performance in black, but it says it is only available in white. I had my boat blasted 3 weeks ago and was talked out of Vivid because I trailer it even though vivid is trailerable.

Also, the dam thing had 8 layers of bottom paint on it.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
ianupton

Re: Bottom Paint question

Post by ianupton »

I have White Vivid on a Bertram 20.

Highly recommend it.

Ian.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Do a search and see what Kevin used on his 28. It is on a lift. Unfortunately he lives in the Keys so he is tied up and not monitoring otherwise I am sure he would jump in.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

Tony Meola wrote:Do a search and see what Kevin used on his 28. It is on a lift. Unfortunately he lives in the Keys so he is tied up and not monitoring otherwise I am sure he would jump in.

he used VC performance. I am pretty sure it used to be available in black, but apparently not any longer. I like the product but I want black.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
"smart people learn from their mistakes, the smartest people learn from others and their mistakes"
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I have used Baltoplate https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... o?pid=2324 on sailboats with good results. It has minimal antifouling qualities and is very hard. I has an anthracite gray color and can last many seasons.
Possunt quia posse videntur
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

is that trailerable?

I can't find that info anywhere on the website. I can try to call tomorrow.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Ryan-
In my experience it held up well with trailering and multiple launchings over 3+ seasons. We did fuss with the hull preparation and applied it by spraying three heavy coats.
Good luck-
Stephan
Possunt quia posse videntur
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

Stephan wrote:Ryan-
In my experience it held up well with trailering and multiple launchings over 3+ seasons. We did fuss with the hull preparation and applied it by spraying three heavy coats.
Good luck-
Stephan
called them today. They said it is very hard paint. The reggata and the VC offshore are both very easily trailable. Both do have some minimal anti fouling properties as well and both can be polished with 400 wet sanding and fine bronze wool.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I didn't think the VC performance with Teflon had anti fouling properties.

I also had my Vivid sprayed. Completely smooth. Trailers now for 4 (?) Seasons hauling close to 1000 miles each year. No issues. When left in water for a few weeks at a time, a soft deck brush will remove any water / scum line and it looks brand new again.

I plan on using same paint on my Hunt 14 project.

Ian.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

you can burnish the paints like the sail boat guys do to get a smoother look, if you are going for something that matches the original bertram white you can get micron in "oyster white" but its not copper free so you may get some green tint when its out of the water
ford351c594

Post by ford351c594 »

ianupton wrote:I didn't think the VC performance with Teflon had anti fouling properties.

I also had my Vivid sprayed. Completely smooth. Trailers now for 4 (?) Seasons hauling close to 1000 miles each year. No issues. When left in water for a few weeks at a time, a soft deck brush will remove any water / scum line and it looks brand new again.

I plan on using same paint on my Hunt 14 project.

Ian.

the VC performance doesn't. THe VC offshore has a bit.
Ryan Randall
73 B28 flybridge