NEW 35

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Craig Mac

NEW 35

Post by Craig Mac »

I just returned from the Norwalk Boat show--they were showing the new 35 sporting a hardtop and outriggers with a dark blue hull.

This is the second time I looked at the boat, the first at the Palm Beach show----It definitely looked better the second time, not sure if it is the color (can't remember if it was white or blue in Palm) or the accessories.

It was a couple of boats away from the 37 Viking---they are both short of a mil---definitely not possible unless I won a lottery-but mentally deciding which would be the better choice--this time it was the Bertram.
Carl

Re: NEW 35

Post by Carl »

Craig Mac wrote:
---definitely not possible unless I won a lottery-but mentally deciding which would be the better choice--this time it was the Bertram.

...always good to get that decision out of the way, just in case.
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

alot of growing pains with hull #1

bertram was either building them on their own after that or they took the molds somewhere else they are no longer at L&M
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

I believe L & M did the first and maybe the second----they are now in Florida for production---they told me 12 were sold--but I heard that same # months ago......The Bertram just looks like it has been finished to a higher standard than the Viking --whether it the stainless window frames or the glass work --The bridge of the Viking has that caulked seam that all two pc production boats have and the Bertram has the one pc bridge/cabin top like the 31.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Craig Mac wrote:I believe L & M did the first and maybe the second----they are now in Florida for production---they told me 12 were sold--but I heard that same # months ago......The Bertram just looks like it has been finished to a higher standard than the Viking --whether it the stainless window frames or the glass work --The bridge of the Viking has that caulked seam that all two pc production boats have and the Bertram has the one pc bridge/cabin top like the 31.
Hard to believe Vicking did that. But the 37 is the old Bill Fisher model they picked up. Maybe the need to make some design changes. Probably rushed it into production without any thought to correcting build issues.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Craig Mac wrote:The Bertram just looks like it has been finished to a higher standard than the Viking --whether it the stainless window frames or the glass work --The bridge of the Viking has that caulked seam that all two pc production boats have and the Bertram has the one pc bridge/cabin top like the 31.
Few feet less boat and a chunk of change more, Bertram should offer a bit more on their boat.

That two piece design for the bridge allows builders and buyers to transport boats easier over land. Bertram 35 has a fairly low bridge compared to the Billfish flybridge. Yacht Sales by me tries to bring them in by land whenever possible for many reasons, so for anything large and tall, tops gotta be removable. Has to play into the minds of the builders...
Dug

Post by Dug »

I got on both at the Newport show. I liked them both, but there is no question they are very different. The 37 is definitely the last gasp from Ocean yachts, and it was well recieved when it came out as I recall. Viking has put some spit polish on her and upgraded to make it a bit nicer and they did a nice job. But I think the Bertram has more panache. The Viking will be easier to clean and maintain, but that is not what it is all about.

The Bertram was well built with a lot of attention to detail which was pleasing for me to see.

Sure made me feel like my boat was pretty old. But then again, it is. LOL!

D
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Dug

Ocean had it's build issues. I rember seeing screws in the rub rails on them rusting out.

Also was told by someone who did warranty work for them on the gensets that he watched them at the factory use a come along to pull the sides in so the bridge would fit on one boat.

Then there are the stories about them twisting like crazy in bad seas.

A lot of their reputation of quality was way over blown.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

The B35 is really pretty and nicely finished. I saw the cruiser one at Annapolis, and the cruiser one and the "fish" one at Miami. The B35 is a little light on fish boxes, and according to the Bertram rep., there's no way to get her to hold more fuel than the standard 315 gallons--which seems pretty light for a canyon run. If its going to be sold as a fish boat, she's needs more boxes and more fuel. Beautiful boat though. The Ocean/Viking seemed OK.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

So I'm not the only idiot who obsesses over details of a million dollar decision I never plan on actually making
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

PeterPalmieri wrote:So I'm not the only idiot who obsesses over details of a million dollar decision I never plan on actually making
You will obsess more over them when your wife mentions something that results in a million dollar decision.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John Swick

Post by John Swick »

"So I'm not the only idiot who obsesses over details of a million dollar decision I never plan on actually making" pp.
It's a boat so.....Perfectly normal healthy behavior.
1971 31' Bahia Mar hull# 316-1035
Carl

Post by Carl »

John Swick wrote:"So I'm not the only idiot who obsesses over details of a million dollar decision I never plan on actually making" pp.
It's a boat so.....Perfectly normal healthy behavior.

I agree...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The problem is you are thinking about what if you won the lottery is it the Bert or the Viking.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:The problem is you are thinking about what if you won the lottery is it the Bert or the Viking.

...or if a long lost RICH great great aunt or uncle should pass.

...or digging in backyard and find gold.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:The problem is you are thinking about what if you won the lottery is it the Bert or the Viking.

...or if a long lost RICH great great aunt or uncle should pass and I'm the only named heir.

...or digging in backyard and find gold.

...or as a friend of mine did, go to NY boat show and win a boat.

Doesn't HAVE to be the lottery.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Actually--if I did win lotto----would be looking for a 43 Merritt....cheaper than a new 35---but the maintenance will kill you....
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

Since you mentioned it I assume you have a rich great aunt and uncle. My advice, be nice to them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Carl

Since you mentioned it I assume you have a rich great aunt and uncle. My advice, be nice to them.

My family is rich in spirit...and I do my best to be nice to them all.

But who knows I only know my family tree going back 2-3 generations, basically little to no info before they set foot in America.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

[quote="Carl)

My family is rich in spirit...and I do my best to be nice to them all.

But who knows I only know my family tree going back 2-3 generations, basically little to no info before they set foot in America.[/quote]

Don't expect us to bow to you if it turns out you are a count or something like that.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315