Fuel Tank Removal

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Fuel Tank Removal

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

The yard is bringing the crane over tomorrow to pull the fuel tank. If I have cut the six woven roving connections and removed the fuel lines is the tank free to be lifted?

Thanks!

JohnV8r
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Raybo Marine NY

Re: Fuel Tank Removal

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

Its pasted downto a sub floor, which is probably a little wet
It wont jump right out.

Sometimes they pop fairly easy, sometimes not so much. We only had to cut one the rest popped out after a little work
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

So I cut the six woven roving tabs that are attached to the stringers. You're saying there was some type of bedding compound used on the deck that is glassed into the hull that the fuel tank sits on. Is that correct? Is there anything else I need to cut that I can get to prior to the crane lifting the tank?

They're using a crane to lift the tank out. I'm assuming the force of the lifting would separate any bedding compound from the bottom of the tank. If there are other spots where the tank is glassed in, I'm going to need to try to release that.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Not to make you nervous the bedding compound has been know to hold on enough that the boat starts to lift with the tank. You can usually help it along by driving a wood wedge under the tank. The 31 next to me in the yard, drove wedges under his tank, per capt. pats instructions to him. He said he had to drive a couple of them in but it popped. He made them out of wood, not sure what size but I would go with a 4x4 and drive the wedges in from the stern since that is were the room is.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
John F.

Post by John F. »

John-

Do the wedges and pop it loose. I tried to get my tank out a different way, and I wasn't sure what would let go first--the bedding compound or whatever they used on the bottom of the tank or something else that I wasn't planning on replacing. The wedges work well because they really just do a little bit of the tank at a time until it pops. Lifting with a crane tries to separate the whole thing at once. Have fun.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
DanielM

Post by DanielM »

One more vote for using wedges.

I used 2) 1-1/2" steel wedges like you would use for splitting wood. Wood wedges would probably be better. Once we got one end to start to give it went pretty fast. I felt like I could have lifted the boat off the stands by lifting on the tank before we used the wedges.

This was on a different model boat but I was surprised with how firm the bedding compound held.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

I want to thank you for all your help and advice. The fuel tank is out. Today was truly one of those days that makes me appreciate all the experience and expertise here.

The long & the short of my fuel tank removal was this: The first woven roving ring popped off within about 90 seconds of it being connected and upward load being applied from the crane. After that everything went exactly as described here by you guys, although I had to do a little coaxing with the yard staff that the wedges would work. It took about 45 minutes of hammering wedges of varying steepness for the crackle and pop you guys told me would occur to happen. I looked like a savant when it happened exactly as you all said it would. If it hadn't been for you guys prepping me on how to get the tank to go, it likely would still be in the boat tonight.

Thank you a million times!

JohnV8r
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Tonight before you go to sleep, thank Capt. Pat. He is the one who told the guy I know how to do it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Tony,

I think of Capt. Patrick, UV, and Walter a lot. Patrick was always so generous with his time with me. He always took my phone calls when I didn't fully understand something he wrote and I needed a live explanation. Patrick never once told me he had to go or didn't have time to explain something. More times than not, he emailed me photos he had when I couldn't visualize what he was trying to explain.

My sense of stewardship and desire to make sure I am doing this project right comes from a responsibility I feel to honor this community's efforts - past and present - to help me.

I sat on the last level piece of structure in Shambala on Friday night and felt an incredible sense of pride and excitement. The deck was gone, the fuel tank was out, the top half of my engines were missing, and the bulkheads that had wood rot were laying on the ground. It was an epiphany-like moment for me knowing that the process of ensuring that one more Bertram 31 was going to be made viable for the next 40 years had reached a turning point. I felt Patrick's presence in that moment.

I feel an tremendous sense of gratitude and appreciation for Bruce and Mike stepping up to keep this site running. The legacy of this website lives on because of them.

Thank you.

JohnV8r