Tower floor

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bertramp

Tower floor

Post by Bertramp »

Hi Guys ...
The floor of the tower on my Strike (approx. 4' x 7') was made of 1/8" aluminum and had a somewhat hideous fake grass carpet on top. It was corroding and has been removed to be replaced.
There are 2 2" wide supports evenly spaced running fore and aft and the outside is "L" bracket so that the floor sits inside of the "L" and is thereby help in place.....plus some bolts.
My thought was to replace with 1" starboard and by doing so, never have to address it again.....( I already have the Starboard), then thought of same type sheet is aluminum again, but 3/16" for a little extra strength.
Will the Starboard be too slippery ?
I know, COOSA glassed and painted could do it, but then its paint ... and I am shooting for as maintenance free as possible.
Starboard too slippery ? if so, stick on traction pads ....
Thanks
1970 Bahia Mar - hull# 316-1003
1990 Blackfin 27 - center console
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Joseph Fikentscher

Re: Tower floor

Post by Joseph Fikentscher »

Sea Hunt Triton 207, a step down, but having fun till my next Bertram!

[url]https://www.instagram.com/endurance_ber ... hl=en/[url]
John Nardi

Post by John Nardi »

Bertramp...In any tower I have ever had, the floor was most typically aluminum with heavy non skid awlgrip...I would absolutely not use starboard...If you want a simple quick solution, I would consider using Kiwi Grip or something similar that would give much better grip than non skid up there...John
Carl

Post by Carl »

Starboard can be quite slick when wet. Could cut grooves into it...router or circular saw. But my main issue is the stuff sags. Yes 1" thick is pretty heavy...but baking in sun, add some weight. Could add more support under. I think on outdoor decking they have to add extra joists to support...they definitely go closer then 2'.

If you go alum...I would refrain from laying anything over it that holds or traps water....can you say corrosion.

I did my with 1/4" alum diamond plate for a little extra grip, then non skid deck paint. Held up a good 10 years before I started to see spots needing help. Now it really needs help...maybe this year I'll wire brush and recoat. This time I'll do that Kiwi stuff...worked great on my deck.

I do little with sheet metal, so no great discounts, but if you can't find or want to compare pricing, my cost is your cost.
neil

Post by neil »

Steve ,I know you don't want to hear it but coosa board with a layer of glass and nonskid is the way to go if Jr can do glass work so can you,he is getting real good at it.this winter he is making new fish boxes that will be installed into our glass tech deck,very involved project but he is doing a great job so far
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Steve

Send Keith Poe a PM. He used sheet metal for his deck. He can tell you how slippery it gets.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

[quote="Carl"]
If you go alum...I would refrain from laying anything over it that holds or traps water....can you say corrosion.
That's what happened on the piece that was there
[quote="Carl"]
I did my with 1/4" alum diamond plate for a little extra grip, then non skid deck paint. Held up a good 10 years before I started to see spots needing help. Now it really needs help...maybe this year I'll wire brush and recoat. This time I'll do that Kiwi stuff...worked great on my deck.
My thought (a recommendation received) was to replace the 1/8" aluminum with 3/16" ... diamond plate and do a truck bed liner (Rhino) on both sides.
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Bertramp

Post by Bertramp »

neil wrote:Steve ,I know you don't want to hear it but coosa board with a layer of glass and nonskid is the way to go if Jr can do glass work so can you,he is getting real good at it.this winter he is making new fish boxes that will be installed into our glass tech deck,very involved project but he is doing a great job so far

COOSA would probably work well and with glass and a few coats of paint last a long time ....... grrr
damn you Jersey-ites :-)
Steve "Bertramp" Kelly
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Steve

Send Keith Poe a PM. He used sheet metal for his deck. He can tell you how slippery it gets.

Pretty sure Keith used diamond plate with non skid.
For my tower, its been great...no sliding around at all.

If not...whoo boy, he mus be slip-sliden
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

We use .100 thick aluminum tread bright on a daily basis. We use it for kick plates on cold storage doors. If you can use it I can hook you up.
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry